Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

[FINAL RELEASE] Eviternity

So far I'm in love with E3, my favorite until now! I'm on Antares map (14). Didn't have much time to play, but I'll keep doing it. BTW, I loved the frozen Caco's, and glad to see the Struggle's commando having an appearance :)

39 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Really goes to show you can't please them all! I've heard more people having a preference for episodes 1 and 2 over the rest, so I guess I'll take comfort in knowing there's at least something for everyone here.

Well, maybe I just have a terrible taste or something. ;) But at least I can say that those are the honest first impressions right after getting through it.

well on episode 3, been playing it with complex doom with lca. loving everything about it. tbh i should play without mods but i am rather bored with vanilla

Is there a way to turn off infinite height in this WAD? The regualar GZDOOM option doesn't seem to help, because infinite height is still there when that option is off. I know this megawad is meant for classic gameplay, but some of the maps here really don't lend themselves to infinite height well. There have been a lot of places where I was prevented from crossing over lower areas because of one monster running around below. Sometimes I had to noclip just to progress through the level.

You'll be pleased to know that RC2 will disable infinite heights when run in GZDoom. For now you can open the WAD in slade, and edit the ZMAPINFO - in here you need to find the Defaultmap segment, and turn off the infinite height compatability option, I believe it's called "compat_nopassover".

Hope this helps! 

Infinite height is forced on in ZMAPINFO - that's being removed in RC2 after we unanimously decided that it's bullshit :P

oh ninja'd by seconds dragon71rage.png.2d77d518befe3d39098e336f26acd453.png

4 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

Infinite height is forced on in ZMAPINFO - that's being removed in RC2 after we unanimously decided that it's bullshit :P

oh ninja'd by seconds dragon71rage.png.2d77d518befe3d39098e336f26acd453.png

4 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

You'll be pleased to know that RC2 will disable infinite heights when run in GZDoom. For now you can open the WAD in slade, and edit the ZMAPINFO - in here you need to find the Defaultmap segment, and turn off the infinite height compatability option, I believe it's called "compat_nopassover".

Hope this helps! 

Thank you both!

Maxed Episode 1 in 26:something. I dont waste time with cowards so some mons are missing in Map02 LOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kEmTtZZXXA

Right now, I am compiling video of Episode 2 (maxed in 30 minutes with 2 missing mons total). I found place in Map09 where you can be stuck. It is after second blue door, then you go forward downstairs. On those stairs, try to fall between the column - there are invisible impassable lines, fix it please. If not clear, where it is, I will mark it in my video when it will be uploaded.

Map16. Rl baron pit is too OP. Replace stimpacks with stacks of 10 health bonuses please.

Map17. I would love to have like 20 more rockets. You spam monsters but I have to SSG them all which is boring.

On 12/15/2018 at 12:40 PM, eharper256 said:

Dehydration [Map 19] gives me serious lag in places with GZDoom (presumably due to alerted monster pathing) making it harder than it should be: my system has never been exactly top-market, but its not a slouch either. Also, that level being obscenely long made me kinda weary (it was a whole hour to complete (!) that one considering how defensively and carefully I play~ also had to fly to the exit on that one as with the reservoir type thing just before the exit nothing happens besides you being trapped in... its possible though I sequence broke it through jumping though as I tend to do that when I get the itch to move on).

Dehydration is crazy.  Obviously it's an amazingly well-crafted map.  But honestly it feels like it could be spread out into 2-3 maps easily.  I think I killed 500 enemies before I got the first keycard!  I finished it at 83min, and there were a fair number of reload in there so easily it took 100min total.    I think it would be an awesome standalone map but I'm not sure about how it slows down the pacing in a megawad.

I should also mention, I got no lag at all on this map - gzdoom 3.5, i5-3570k CPU and GTX 1070 GPU.

edit: Also on Dehydration music - this is another area where epic 100min maps suffer.  I like the music track for it.  But my god, after 100min it is just too much of a good thing.  Conversely if it was split out into smaller maps you could have multiple music tracks.

Edited by grahf

RE: Map16/17 - These changes will be considered but this is the first of this kind of feedback I've had about both. The map09 bug is already fixed in the devbuild of RC2 fortunately. :)

RE: Map19 - I plan on making 30-50% of the map optional, but still available. I'll mention expanding the MIDI to Jimmy, but he's got a lot on currently.

Hey, this is great! Big thanks to the team who made it. Just finished map 4.  You know you're in the hands of talent when levels this small feel so big and complex -- great re-use of areas and terrain modifications.

A few other random thoughts:

- Is it just me or have some of the fights and traps been designed so that monsters move in a bit more unpredictably? E.g. released from further away in the map so they arrive at an unpredictable time from a different direction. With the open nature of the maps it could just be coincidence, stragglers wandering in.

- the new torches are very cool. They have a kind of futuristic/ancient look to them which really suits the texture set.

- I'm sure someone has mentioned it already, but the backpack on level three can be collected with a bump instead of going on the secret sector itself.

Looking forward to playing the rest!

Is this the mapset with Dragonfly’s mintish colored base maps? Been looking forward to that but obviously gonna try this out regardless. Been on holiday in Australia since the 9th so can’t delve in until 2019! :(

So eager to see how Otex has been put to use!

Edited by Soundblock

Justed finished Map26. Since I love the aesthetics of the last chapter, so I jumped right into it. Really love Map26. I'll try to play the rest of the chapter first, and then I'll move backwards. I'll combine my thoughts and questions in the next post.

Edited by GarrettChan

So, I finished it today and must say, that it's overall a really great set of maps. The one outstanding map might be Map19, which was just bonkers in every way imaginable. Other than that I especially enjoyed the first maps the most. They make the best use of OTEX in my opinion and I love their intimate layouts. Just a joy to run through and discover all the nooks and crannies. I also want to mention the soundtrack which is generally very good and downright amazing in places. The custom monsters are a welcome addition to the Doom roster, even though I found the Cybruisers a little bit too overpowered, especially their rockets.

Just finished Map27. There are some questions and thoughts about the maps.

Map26:

Spoiler

ev26.jpg.92cc41a1b9089c528572dba9f4256759.jpg

- Did I misunderstand this secret? I found this secret can be accessed from these 2 directions, but I saw some small bars in the purple circle, so I think there's a switch somewhere to lower those?

- I would say the star shape platform (with 4 Cybruisers) being able to be lowered by pressing those flashy edges is a little bit too ambiguous. Took me like 30 minutes to find them because I keep pressing the center of the star. Maybe making the center press-able is a good way to solve this.

- There's no enemy blocklines in the platform with 2 Cyberdemons next to the inescapable pit. The Cyberdemon at the north will be pushed and stuck in the corner by the BFG most of the time. It's kind of against the challenge of this part IMO. Also, it's somewhat annoying to accidentally push somebody down in the pit.

Map27:

Spoiler

ev27.jpg.f4ff69f44812c5dd37e8352d0db2b9db.jpg

- You can softlock the map by strafing towards the platform with the SSG and dropping into the corner.

- I can't find the last secret (I found the Soulsphere one and the BFG one since they're together, and I found the one with MegaArmor), so could I get a hint about that? (It doesn't show even with IDDT, so I NOCLIP around and still can't find it)

@GarrettChan oh no secret spoilers:

Spoiler

That's a totally legit way of getting to that secret, so no worries. You just gotta jump down from above somewhere -- the bars lower if you leap over them from above where the purple circle is.

I'll take a look at that platform. Next release will have monster-block lines around that pit -- it's really funny when you manage to shove a cybie down there and halfway vanish. :P

Glad you enjoyed the map! Geez, I'm gonna have to write a full post-mortem on it sometime quasi-soon-ish. There's a lot to unpack.

6 minutes ago, Xaser said:

I'll take a look at that platform. Next release will have monster-block lines around that pit -- it's really funny when you manage to shove a cybie down there and halfway vanish. :P

I went back and check the Cyber. It seems the Cyber is blocked by something on the top of the tower, so he can only walk in a small portion of the corner. Therefore, if you hit him with enough tracers from the BFG, there's a very high chance to knock him down the pit or make him stuck at the edge. The second time I played the time, there was a random Imp down there. I don't even know how to knock an Imp into the pit without killing it.

The environment of the map is just great. The reason I decided to play the Heaven themed map first is solely the architect of this map. Even I show this map to a girl who doesn't play Doom, she's impressed.

Just finished Map28 and Map29. It seems both these maps have problems for stuff. However, the look of Map29 is just so great. You venture through forests, temples, and underground water environments. Then the last part is particularly great because you suddenly all have Deja Vu from Map01!

@DragonflyI tested the maps on GLBoom+ 2.514 -cl11, so please tell me if I did something incorrectly, or they are actual problems. Thanks.

Map28 (it seems broken):

Spoiler

- The switch requires all colored keys can't be switched with the Skull Keys provided in the map. It seems it only accepts Keycards instead of Skull Keys. It can be used when I used IDKFA.

Map29:

Spoiler

ev29.jpg.5128f47606751392fb7796254ca234b5.jpg

- The final part where the landscape looks like Map01. 4 Spots with Hell Knights are stuck and the Hell Knights can't be raised.

- Sometimes when you jump from place to place, you can be stuck. I can't replicate this though.

- I would say the final fight is a little bit anticlimactic because you can hide in the indoor Megasphere secret and don't have to risk of being shot at by the Cyberdemons.

4 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

- I would say the star shape platform (with 4 Cybruisers) being able to be lowered by pressing those flashy edges is a little bit too ambiguous. Took me like 30 minutes to find them because I keep pressing the center of the star. Maybe making the center press-able is a good way to solve this.

If you didn't jump ahead to map26 first you'd have encountered these on more traditional lifts and be familiar with the concept that this texture = lift. ;)

Please don't play GlBoom+; I will be adding to the RC2+ text file that this port is not supported because it breaks skies and other visuals on an engine level and is not the map(pers) fault.

Any instance of 3-key-required switches are being patched in RC2, there's another instance of it on MAP11 for example, sadly this one slipped through the net when testing.

Is the interpic a zdoom-only thing?

Anyway, just finished episode 3. My favorite so far. All levels were amazing and played really well. Map 14 and 15, especially, with the awesome vistas and architecture, woah! (although all levels here were awesome) Some comments:

- Some MIDI's felt a bit louder than others. One was the map 15 one and there was other in the first episode that I don't remember (I'll look when I get home >.<). It might be interesting to do a volume check on all midi's, although this is a quite annoying job >.>

- Map's 15 clock fight was a lot of fun and cinematic, but also took too much time to get dangerous (when the Archville spawns). It would be interesting to spawn some villes or cyberdemons before or maybe shorten it a bit. Currently, you can just let the monsters spawn and let in-fighting do the job.

- The Frozen Caco was an excellent addition. I can understand some complaints about one-shooting a player when it gets too close (which happened a few times with me). Not sure if it's really a problem, though. Maybe adding a melee attack (idk if that's possible) would work to avoid it?

- So far, map 5 has been the hardest for me, but it was more about finding a good strategy instead of being too dificulty.

This is already one of my favorite mapsets so far. Episode 1 was very solid, but 2 and 3 so far impressed me a lot!

Edited by Deadwing

48 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Please don't play GlBoom+; I will be adding to the RC2+ text file that this port is not supported because it breaks skies and other visuals on an engine level and is not the map(pers) fault.

Maybe I'll try Eternity? I don't use ZDoom things. I'll probably not report visual stuff now and mainly focus on whether the map has any problem.

@GarrettChan - PrBoom+ is fine, just not GlBoom+. You can try Eternity but it's untested (it was on the roadmap for RC2)

@Deadwing - The interpics are Boom compatible! It's just a CWILV graphic with careful offsets. :) 

I've noted about the volume check, though I myself can't do much about this; so depending on their availability one of the in-project musicians might have to take a look at this for me; though it is low priority overall.

The MAP15 clock fight has been very, very heavily re-worked based on many people's feedback and streams. :)

The Astral Cacodemon is having the centre fireball replaced with a caco fireball so as to make it a more tolerable attack overall, I hope this satisfies most people!

Map5 is being nerfed in RC2, but only slightly - the difficulty bump is a bit more drastic than intended.

Just wanted to make a quick remark about Map05. Real snarly map, and I don't mind dying a few -- dozen! :D -- times, but the difficulty spike after all those easy earlier maps was a real surprise. It was by far the hardest map of the first 10. That said, I was winning my way through but needed to have some health in the final monster closets. 2 Medikits  or maybe 6 Stimpacks would have been fine, especially since it's a death exit map. All I need is enough health to kill everything while taking a couple hits, and then let my bleeding carcass get annihilated. When I play it again I can also try different approaches.

I thought every map other than 05 was a bit too easy, although it's worth noting that I played continuous because Map01 seemed ammo-starvey. I know significant brutality is coming later because I watched MegaBlast playing 25, 26 and 27 the other night, but just the same, I'd personally like a bit stiffer opposition in the early maps, maybe through more severe incidental combat, since the traps are fine.

The beauty of these maps is staggering. I also greatly enjoyed the particle and weather effects, but I give the stinkeye to infinite height in GZDoom. ;)

Map10 was my favorite. Not hard, but the gameplay was a total blast. So many enemies coming from everywhere, so much headless chicken fun with open air combat and finally some room to run around in. Loved the epic architecture, too. Extra points for the Spider Mastermind blowing Chaingunners off that platform. It was raining Chaingunners! It made for a nice lighthearted moment. :)

58 minutes ago, Rimantas said:

Also in game you will see some red signs with "!".

Those are error markers. The most harmless error they can mark is the presence of a Doom Builder camera, IIRC. These camera are fake things that DB uses to mark the last used position of the 3D mode camera. They should normally not have any difficulty flag set so that they never try to appear in-game.

I forgot on this - Ep2 run:

So far I vote Ep2 for most fun and Ep4 for nicest visuals.

Btw. Am I the only one who thinks Ep1-2 have best gameplay? Ep3456 starts to switch on usual kind of gameplay with too long maps, too much ssg and too much tank monsters, but Ep12 has play smooth as Doom1 and its something you dont see in usual high quality megawads

For me, Ep1 felt more grindy than 2 (which was indeed really tight and smooth) and 3. Hopefully I'll keep with E4 today.