Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Scariest moment in Heretic or Hexen

So we've all heard about Doom's scariest moments, E1M8, E2M8, Cyberdemon, blah blah blah.
So let's hear about some of the more chilling/frightening moments you've had while playing Heretic or Hexen.

I feel like I'm being very unoriginal but...

Heretic: first Iron Lich.
Hexen: first Heresiarch.

Heretic (I only played the shareware episode): E1M9 when you realise that they all throw those evil bloody axes o' death.

I can't think of any. Neither game really was that scary. However, some wadfiles have been known to have a few scary parts (mostly the "casually walking down the hall and you're suddenly surrounded by a bunch of tough enemies" type).

HeXen, dont have it.

But for Heretic.... When my puter shut down while I was fighting the Iron Liches for the first time, and I didnt save...

Too bad the Iron Lich doesn't fly. It would have made them a lot more challenging, and maybe scarier too.

other than that, nothing else is scary..

except maybe the reivers on necropolis. Just scary because of their numbers and risk of getting caught up in a large group of them.

The Necropolis is a pretty eerie level, what with thunder booming in the background and those Reivers making their "I-see-you" sounds and attacking with those dangerous fireballs.
Heretic's scared the crap out of me on several occasions, particularly when an enemy would teleport in out of nowhere, or when I was hit by something in a darkened corridor, and I didn't expect anything to happen.

Oh yeah... I forgot about that one. Those Reivers just keep coming. I know you'll eventually run out, but for a while it doesn't seem like it. Some other spooky maps for Hexen (original and expansion pack):

Dungeons
Effluvium
Tradacus' Tomb
Catacomb
Brackenwood (4, count 'em, 4 Death Wyverns)
Pyre
Locus Requiescat
Abbatoir
Cloaca

The scariest moment was when I noticed the game dumped you back to DOS when exiting a map during a recording...

Fighting the Heresiarch the 2nd time in the Gibbet. That giant lava pentagram, and his own personal gateway to the land of the dead. Creepy.

The one time in Heretic that I was truly scared was E5M8, where you fight 3 of those maulators.

By the time I played those two games I had been cured of actual fear for games done in the Doom engine.

But the creepiest level is likely the Necropolis. Didn't know the Reivers were saying "I-see-you"...

Actually it sounds like they're saying Yeah! or something like that. Silly dsm :P

DooMBoy said:

Actually it sounds like they're saying Yeah! or something like that. Silly dsm :P

Well, if some guy can believe that a mancubus says "I am your mom!", then I'm prepared to come across a guy who's ready to believe that those Reivers say "I-see-you".

And it sounds to me like they're saying "Hunnnnyeeaaahhhh, hunnnnyeeeaahhhhhh!"

I really haven't had a scary moment in heretic. But in hexen it was when I realized the game was exactly the same no matter what class you chose, aside from the weapons.

There's alot of weird sounds that Doom, Heretic, and Hexen enemies make that sound like words in English.

I.E.
The disiples in Heretic sometimes sound like they're saying:

"It happens to old magma"

the Reivers in Hexen soung like they're saying "yeahhhh" every once and a while.

The Arch-Vile seems to say "It's all right" when it dies

I can almost make out something in the Cacodemon's death cry.

HeXen (I never finished the game, so there probably are scarier moments): The first time I fell down and down and down in the Guardian of Fire

Heretic: The first time I played the shareware version and someone whispered in my ear that I'd get cool weapons if I type COCKADOODLEDOO... Nope, I don't think anything in the game has scared me more since then ;-)

Insomniac: I could never make anything out of the Archvile's deathcry, let alone that... :-P

In Hexen, if you type in the code DELIVERANCE you get 25 of all artifacts (including the hidden artifacts like Tome of Power, Orb of Mystery, and Time Freeze) all keys, all puzzle pieces, and all weapons.

Ichor grunts:
In Hexen, if you type in the code DELIVERANCE you get 25 of all artifacts (including the hidden artifacts like Tome of Power, Orb of Mystery, and Time Freeze) all keys, all puzzle pieces, and all weapons.

LOL, I already knew that one ;-)

Insomniac said:

The disiples in Heretic sometimes sound like they're saying: "It happens to old magma"

The disciples say backwards: "Destroy the Heretic" and "Succumb to us, Heretic". D'Sparil says backwards "Surrender to D'Sparil", and something else that I can't make out (it might just be a noise).

Regarding Doom sounds, the noise the mancubus makes has always made me think of "On your marks", but I suspect it's really just a growl of some sort. Likewise the spider mastermind: "Who is he?".

Ichor said:

...and if you bring down the console in Hexen 2 and type 'impulse 41', you'll get all weapons, full mana and 25 of each item/powerup.

(I think it's impulse 41, anyway)