Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jamai36

Looking for scary maps, help!

Been playing Doom since release and have done a lifetime's worth of lurking on doomworld.

Through all of the amazing wads I download, I think I'm always looking for one elusive thing in particular, more atmospheric and dark maps that remind me of Doom 64.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I have sifted through a lot of maps, but it's very rare I find anything close to the mood/vibe set out in the Doom 64 wads.  I grew up on the more fun, actiony doom maps, but it would be cool to find a few maps closer to those found in D64.  Even Doom 2016 was a bit of a letdown in this regard.

Thanks in advance!

Here's a single horror map I made back in 2015, the screenshots are missing but it's a little mod that utilises GZDoom's dynamic lighting to provide a typical horror setting with a few scary moments. :)

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=48273

To help fit your requirements, this uses some sounds and music from Doom64, as well as coloured lighting and a moody setting.

Hope it's what you're looking for!

Never played Doom 64 so I'm not sure if that's what you're after, but Maskim Xul has a rather dark and creepy atmosphere.

This may or may not be what you have in mind, but a lot of those who played Wyrmwood seemed to find Map 9 tense or frightening or disturbing - which was my full intention - though I didn't use anything like conventional horror game tropes to do it. The map isn't dark and it's low on surprises. It's all about manipulating the player's expectations and building suspense.

Awesome, I have lots to check out. I have played Maskim Xul and definitely got that vibe from it, but the others are new.  Thanks!

Doom64 always reminded me of the Alien film which is quite Lovecraftian in the cosmic unknown horror sense. Thus I would recommend Dawn of Reality

That is a realistic map though. Not sure if that qualifies.

10 hours ago, amackert said:

Unloved.

#1 for me. I've never played a WAD so disturbingly creepy. The final fight is over-the-top-ridiculous slaughter that I had to noclip through, but everything up to that end point is just incredible. 

5 minutes ago, Salt-Man Z said:

#1 for me. I've never played a WAD so disturbingly creepy. The final fight is over-the-top-ridiculous slaughter that I had to noclip through, but everything up to that end point is just incredible. 

Agreed. Unloved is a masterpiece, although some areas are downright impossible on UV (the catacombs with the two archviles in the corner next to a switch comes to mind)

4 hours ago, R4L said:

Agreed. Unloved is a masterpiece, although some areas are downright impossible on UV (the catacombs with the two archviles in the corner next to a switch comes to mind)

I played on HMP and remember 2-3 spots that just about made me give up, but I was able to eventually figure out. That ending, though...

On like the fourth reply so far, I have lots of content to go through, thanks again!

It's interesting because D64 always stuck with me in a way that vanilla Doom didn't. While it has gained a bit of cult traction over the years, I think most still consider it an interesting but inferior diversion from the main Doom titles (outside of 3 of course).

Something about the lower light levels, more colourful lighting and the dark ambient soundtrack just makes it more Doom than well.. Doom.  When I load up new wads I'm reminded of how much bigger the influence of D1/D2 is. But I know it's more of a fringe opinion.