Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
obake

How to Deal with Mapping Sadness

Thank you all for sharing! Your views have already helped and inspired me to better motivation, and they will doubtless continue inspiring others.

I have stupidly low self-esteem, so I always thought that what I was creating was crap. It mostly came from looking at the works of other people. Thoughts like "I could never do that" really ran around my head. In the end, you have to map for yourself and try not to compare yourself to other people. 

I've fallen guilty of depressing myself with a similar mindset on a few occasions, but the main thought with which I comfort myself is that I make maps for myself first and foremost, not an audience. That alone alleviates the pressure in its own right.

That said, looking back at most of my past Doom mapping efforts, I can't help but feel that they're sub-par. Not only that, but I can somehow sense a certain staleness - a refusal to improve - across all of them. But with my most recent efforts (which are either scrapped or still WIP), I've taken it upon myself to break out of the "bad mapping habits" that I recognize in my earlier works.

unfortunately I have low self-esteem, so I integrate with this to compare, believe me that my works for me although I like them I see them poor

and yes, I have reached those points where I say that I try to look like a good mod, but I have never reached that point, besides that sometimes I hate myself for what I do

but I think that while I am having fun, it's fine ...

Like Doomkid said, I've also been mapping for some 18 long years. I feel like I've released very little and some of it is not very good. My first 32 maps I rushed out the door. I tend to edit like crazy and then I burn out and I stop editing for very long periods of time. I take forever to make any kind of map. I look back and wonder where all the time went and wish I had been more persistent in working on Doom maps. There have been years that went by that I released nothing. I have plans for releases in the next year or so but I'm so slow... heh. I would like to be more consistent tho.

I also lost a lot of work I wish I had saved. My Hexen 2 project... I think I just one day deleted it all but that fucking Qoole editor ate some of it too. I wish I had kept the stuff Qoole didn't barf up, even for the sake of just walking around those maps again. All I have left is some puny screenshots. I also had maps for Quake and Quake 2 and Half-Life but most of that stuff was just learning design so it's not a total waste. It was my work tho and it's a bummer when I think about it. So you know what, back up your shit even if it's that crappy map you made slige cough up. ;)

Anyhow life is too short to be melancholy about level design. We all get bummed about this kinda stuff sometimes but there's always positives and you can only get better with practice.

Edited by Doom_Dude

Thanks for making this thread, i guess i need some help. Because, well, everytime i see someone make a map and post screenies, i'm like "woah", i get motivated, i start up GZDooM builder.

I open up a map, make 2 rooms, then exit- I ran out of ideas, i have no motivation to continue.

The whole problem is- I want to map, but i can't. I have a ton of ideas, and most of them are just forgotten.

I think it's best to write ideas on paper first, try to draw a map, either on paper or through paint (the program) or whatnot, and then start working it out in the level builder of choice.

But i still don't know what to do myself. I really want to map, but i feel like i'm unable to, that i can't do anything good.

This is also the reason i stopped most of my projects, and also halted some gameplay mods too. I think i can't.

Anyone have advice?

I know I posted here once already but I feel this thread is worth some more attention, especially after seeing one of these posts...
@Lazorical That's exactly how I felt when I first started mapping over a year ago before joining the forums.
Sometimes I still feel that way but like Deadwing said "it's doesn't need to be better than anything. As everyone said, create something that you'll enjoy first".
Even if it takes months to overcome, you'll have a moment where the juices start flowing and you'll see firsthand as something you put your heart and soul into take shape, even if it takes time and the sense of accomplishment will boost you even higher.
Never be afraid to experiment either, there were so many things that I thought were impossible for me and when I first started, I didn't even know how to make a door or have the slightest clue what made a lift, well, lift. and after saying screw it, crashing GZDB more times than I can count and about a years supply of java monster I figured out not only that stuff but began editing textures and even making some of my own from scratch because after I got passed the frustration and trepidation and just decided to give it a go and just make whatever popped up in my head right then and there.
There will be some things that hit a wall sometimes and it's ok to step back, everything comes in due time, and that's fine.

On 12/22/2018 at 7:59 PM, Doomkid said:

You shouldn’t hate yourself for what you do. Just skip that part and get right on to having fun with it. I know it’s sometimes not that easy, but it’s important to remind yourself that you don’t have to feel down on yourself - especially not because of a perceived lack of quality in your work.

EDIT: Hell, I’ve been mapping for 18 years and STILL haven’t made anything good! Whenever you’re feeling a bit low about your Doom works, Imagine what I must feel like, eh?! 😉 Honestly though, other than this year, I’ve always been joyous and relatively carefree with my mapping. I suddenly started scrutinizing my work down to the gnat’s ass earlier this year and as a result I stopped mapping altogether.

Just recently I finally got over that feeling - It’s good to hold yourself to a higher standard.. Unless it results in you quitting mapping altogether like it did with me. Going back to my carefree mapping mindset was the best decision I could have made. Rather than dwelling on and on about how others will feel about my stuff, I’m back to doing it for myself and it feels excellent. I might even have a megawad to show for it next year :)

Given our history, Doomkid, I actually feel personally responsible for these feelings you have had and you stopping mapping, specifically due to the (sometimes harsh) criticisms and feedback of your DM maps. I thought I had something more profound to tack along this but turns out I'm just a dick. Sorry.

I never feel like my work is good enough, but that's precisely my drive to get better. The only way I improve is by making a map after map, constantly, which resulted in a huge improvement in my mapping skills.

When I look back at levels I made a year ago, I'm reminded of how shit I was, and even when I look back at levels I made a few months ago, I think ''I could have done better''. Making so many maps one after another made it easy for me to notice how I improve over time, and I will continue to do so, until I create something cacoward worthy. I set myself a high bar, but there's no doubt in my mind that I will able to achieve it by steadily getting better over the next few years. That's what drives me to be a mapper, and to feel good about my projects, even if they're not up to par with wads made by others.

I don't have much else to add given many wonderful points already brought up here, but I will say that typically in my case I don't really compare my levels to other people's maps these days so much as I often think about Id Software's contributions in the form of the classic IWADs. I feel it's a simple enough goal to be able to make something of a Doom 1/2 caliber than it is to tackle a 1000000-linedef extravaganza. I feel they work as a simple enough tutor to bring mappers along from the classic Doom aesthetic into the modern era given enough mapping experience.

6 hours ago, Decay said:

Given our history, Doomkid, I actually feel personally responsible for these feelings you have had and you stopping mapping, specifically due to the (sometimes harsh) criticisms and feedback of your DM maps. I thought I had something more profound to tack along this but turns out I'm just a dick. Sorry.

I don’t want you to feel that way, you did nothing wrong - You just spoke your mind honestly and frankly and we both had good laughs while playing and observing all the design flaws. I definitely don’t feel any bad feeling towards you or anything like that, you helped me see flaws plain as day that I never would have seen on my own. I consider that valuable learning as a mapper, even if I don’t take as much mapping knowledge away from it as I should.

A lot of good points have been brought up here, there's one I've seen somewhat mentioned, but not paid any mind (though it's very possible I just skimmed over it. A lot of these posts are quite long): the drive.

Probably the most important thing you can have at your disposal for mapping (or, indeed, anything), is the drive to do so.

Find whatever it is that motivates you, be it the desire to make something fun, or challenging, or to make something in the style of your favorite mappers, or whatever it is, and use that to produce your projects.

The drive to map is just as (maybe more) important as knowing what you're going to make, because with no drive, it will never get done.

Criticism (even straight harsh and unnecessary, stupid comments) should not defeat your drive to map. If anything, I daresay it should strengthen it, because it means that people noticed, and if people notice this time, you can aim for better, and they'll surely notice the next time.

There's an old saying, "Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land amongst the stars," and this holds just as true here as it does anywhere else. Find your motivation to map, code, draw, whatever, wherever you can, like for me, it's my intent to complete my project, and the reminder that I can, that keeps me trying for this, frankly, absurd goal.

TL;DR: Find your motivation wherever you can, even if it's just that one guy saying, "Yeah, man, I liked your map," to keep it going.

And if you ever need someone to test a map for you and critique it, I, personally, will be glad to help you out.

You shouldn't be sad about your maping,it's just a fun hobby overall.
We aren't competing to see who makes the best maps the fastest,this is just about showing love for a game by continuing to support it even 25 years after it's release.
You should try to not map for """fame""" but for learning :) without mapping you can't get feedback and without that you can't learn from your mistakes and without that you can't make better maps xD
So basically,JUST DO IT!!!

On 12/24/2018 at 4:38 PM, Doomkid said:

I don’t want you to feel that way, you did nothing wrong - You just spoke your mind honestly and frankly and we both had good laughs while playing and observing all the design flaws. I definitely don’t feel any bad feeling towards you or anything like that, you helped me see flaws plain as day that I never would have seen on my own. I consider that valuable learning as a mapper, even if I don’t take as much mapping knowledge away from it as I should.

Maybe I do have some insight to provide after all, especially since we are friends and all, there was nothing to do with being mean for the sake of being mean. When I thought of and wrote down my justifications for the criticisms, I noticed they revolved around a perceived "standard" for multiplayer Doom mapping. And ultimately I forgot that multiplayer Doom mapping doesn't really have a standard other than super basic ideas like putting weapons on the spawns themselves, which is something that ultimately developed over time and is easily creatively subverted anyway.

A majority of popular PVP maps are not popular because they were built scientifically and with a specific methodology, they are popular either by accident, made by popular people which creates a bandwagon of supporters no matter how bad the map actually is, or a twisted form of Stockholm Syndrome caused by nostalgia (looking specifically at Doom2 map01 @dew ). For me to come and say these maps are flawed in X Y and Z manner is dandy - but ultimately does not matter, especially not at this point in the game. What people find fun in PVP is so all over the place making a "good" map is a total crapshoot and based far more on having an intuitive feeling of what other players enjoy in the game, balancing that perception in the context of wanting to change/subvert the standards without deviating too much that it jars the players, and then inserting your own vision on top of that.

PVP suffers from a unique kind of "mapper sadness" PVP mapping is much different from single-player in the sense that, for the most part, single-player mapsets are played a few times, barring those people who grind them for speed-running or some such. PVP maps have to be engaging enough to be played hundreds of times in a relatively short time period. Can you say you are willing to play the same maps 3, or 4, or 5 times in the same play session? And then do it again the next day? Or 3-5 play sessions a week on the same maps? Reaching that level of engagement is difficult for a variety of reasons, and it's almost never appreciated beyond the circle of other PVP mappers.

You can spend a ton of time making exceptionally well crafted maps, and people will still fall back on playing the same old shit that took maybe 30 minutes to make. While single-player mappers might say "wow I have to compete with the greatness of things like Eviternity" multiplayer mappers have to say "how the fuck do I get people away from goddamn Dwango5 or Green War", 2 of the plainest, most overrated, boring-ass wads I've ever had the displeasure of playing. Maybe a good analogy would be seeing something like Sunlust's success and amazing work, and then 90% of the playerbase going straight back to grinding doom2.wad everyday, proclaiming it better for the most inane reasons. Instead of passively "fighting" or competing with effort and brilliance in map design, structuring, detail, architecture etc, to get recognized, in PVP to get your maps played even once you're actively fighting a dwindling playerbase's super simplistic mindset, intense toxicity and judgement, apathy, and THEN the other wads that are household names, which in themselves are nothing special, and some of them profoundly unappealing. Getting recognition in the multiplayer community as a mapper is pretty much a pipe-dream; and even if you do, more often than not the map will be recognized but the mapper will not. Mappers are pretty much known only by those who frequent forums, IRC, or discord, which is actually a small percentage of the playerbase overall. Maps are held high or thrown into the dumps based on the most superficial aspects you can imagine, and it is incredibly hard to predict if what you do to a map will condemn it or hallow it. And once it has been condemned, there is pretty much no going back. Sometimes a mapper's name is enough to condemn it - personally, a tiff 8 years ago between the most played CTF compilation pack maintainer and myself has meant total exclusion of any map I had a hand in from being in the compilation, barring 1 that required protests from other players. Aside from that, PVP mappers suffer from a weird dichotomy of constantly trying to one-up creations (to appeal to novelty and stand out) yet also try to appeal to the most basic aesthetics and 1-dimensional game play. There is absolutely no winning in mapping for PVP, and I have no qualms saying this as one of the authors of some of the most successful PVP wads released in the last decade at least.

Anyway, this comes back to my critique of PVP maps. I made the mistake of thinking Doom PVP deserves better. And perhaps it does, but the playerbase certainly doesn't. Yea, your maps might not be as good as UDM3 or something (probably the closest thing to a "standard" setting DM set I can think of), but honestly, does it matter? Is it worth providing feedback based on a "standard" I'm personally making up as I go along, creating a stagnation in creativity in its own right, an increasingly sterile set of maps in a pool of barely filtered experiments? The most "non-jerk" criticism I can think is that I thought mappers were capable of better and what was being offered fell short of its actual potential. But I forgot to think of what that "potential" meant (my own narrow vision) and where it falls in relation to the rest of PVP's offering (wide, yet mostly unplayed). I'll echo the sentiment that you should map mainly for yourself, which is what I do, and trying to shape people into my own mold was pretty hypocritical.

Just keep at it and with enough experience you'll be able to create exactly what you set out to do with no compromises. There won't be anything to be sad about, only annoyed when other people don't like it as much as you do. If you admire things about other peoples maps then you should try to understand exactly what those things are and how to create them yourself. Recognition, popularity and awards might feel good but they don't mean anything. I wouldn't trade my mapping skills with anyone. If I could play in a band with anyone, I'd play with clones of myself. Might sound conceited but what's better than creating exactly what you envision? There's no greater form of artistic expression.