Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barry Burton

Metroid Dreadnought Overhaul - 1.5d (11/24/19)

Original Metroid Dreadnought thread here!

What is this?

This is a mod that adds 3D models to Metroid Dreadnought, and fixes a few other problems so it can run in the latest GZDoom. This originally started as a joint venture between RockstarRaccoon and myself, but considering the fallout he's had and the overall reputation of this failed "Metroid Doom" mod, I figured I could at least upload my share of work from that project and integrate it into the base mod so that it isn't entirely lost and distance myself from the drama. I've been working with this mod on and off for 3 years learning my way around modding tools, and this is kind of the culmination of that. While this isn't a ton of stuff, it's work that I'm semi-happy about, and feel that maybe it could improve this already fantastic mod some more.

Features

-3D Arm Cannon models for most of the beams. The exceptions being the Doom Cannon, Chroma Storm, and Long Beam for now.
-3D models for the Gunship, as well as a Chozo statue prop, some of the pickups, and some 3D crates. I plan on adding more!
-Brightmaps for beams and props!

I've also tinkered with the code a bit:

-Morph Ball is now an item that has to be acquired, and it has an item banner and jingle.
-Items can be obtained in morph ball mode.
-Renamed ijon's math functions that were superseded by GZDoom so most things work again.
-Enabled and fixed the Beam Selection HUD, because it's fucking awesome. Default bind is 'Q'.
-Energy Tanks actually fill up 100% now. Health would become "full" at about 2 Energy Tanks and would not fill any further.
-Hopefully made modding easier. You can compile ACS now. Export all scripts to a folder and add to your include path in SLADE. :P

Known Issues

-Morph Ball pickup does not automatically turn into a Missile pack if the player already has it. Working on a fix... Fixed in 1.5c!
-Doom Cannon does not appear on the HUD. I believe this is due to me adding the Morph Ball into the mix. Working on a fix... Fixed!
-Space Jump is still fucked. There are some print commands in met_spacejump.h that can help with debugging I think, but this might be beyond my scope... Fixed!
-Power Bombs still spawn without warning, infinitely, after acquiring certain items. Surely this isn't too hard to fix... Fixed!
-Fixing Space Jump borked wall jumping. There isn't any momentum after wall jumping. OHGODWHY Fixed! ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST
-Beam Select HUD carries over inverted mouse when mouse is inverted. Fixed!
-Speed Booster has an awkward animation with weapons. This is due to using Offset in DECORATE with models. They just kind of disappear when Speed Booster is active. Could probably be improved with a ZScript rewrite.
-The Beam Selection GUI will freeze your character if used in an online match.
-Mod support is limited! I've tested a few mods running with Dreadnought, but it's still more or less "use at your own risk".
-Maps that use Soulspheres as trigger items can have problems if you have the max amount of Energy Tanks (you won't be able to pick it up and trigger the event).

-As of GZDoom 4.0.0, DO NOT USE MODELS IN VULKAN. They will not display properly. This is fixed as of 4.0.1!

Planned Additions/Fixes

-Give modders the ability to create morph ball tunnel cameras in GZDBBF/SLADE with a simple function (see video below).
-Give modders the ability to create door types in GZDBBF/SLADE so certain beams/missiles will trigger certain doors. This has been done already, but I'm going to do it myself this time.
-Add Screw Attack.
-Shinespark ability. Added!
-3D models for the rest of the pickups and sprites.
-Rework some animations and finish animations for certain actions, like the destructible crates, shooting missiles, and charging beams.

-Add the Varia Suit and Gravity Suit with their intended features and purposes (lessen damage taken, protection/nullify effects from heat/water). Varia Suit is in!
-Add lock-on system for easier gameplay with a controller or just for that preferred style of play. Also add the ability to lunge sideways to evade attacks.
-Make Charge Combos for each beam into separate items. In 1.5c!
-Make Boost Ball a separate item.
-Refill a full Energy Tank if picking up an Energy Tank while having the max amount of Energy Tanks so map triggers can still work.

-Make random spawners for items so everything has a chance to be picked up in-game without summoning items from console. In 1.5c!

Credits

-TerminusEst13 & Ijon Tichy for making this incredible mod.
-Models-Resource for the Metroid Prime model rips. There are no tags to show who did what on the website.
-Wivicer for his brightmaps for the 2D beams! Thanks dude!
-GenghisJollybat in our Discord for naming some of the pickups, suggesting ideas, and beta testing. Thanks pal!
-CrazyWazy in our Discord for working with me to suggest new items/improvements to help him make his maps, his awesome compositions and beta testing. You da real MVP G.
-Xyifer in our Discord for making sprites of Sylux and beta testing. Thanks homie!
-Samusoidal in our Discord for beta testing, rigging models, and suggesting ideas. Thanks friend!
-Jekyll Grim Payne for help with some missile spawning code shenanigans.
-Everyone else in our Discord server for beta testing and suggestions/improvements. Seriously, I can't thank everyone enough...
-Everyone here, because without you, I wouldn't know how to do any of this shit to begin with.

Gameplay Videos

Spoiler

This video has a surprise at the end. A feature I had been working on to let modders be able to make morph ball tunnel cameras anywhere is showcased at the end briefly.

Download Links!

As of 11/24/19, archive is approx. 45MB! Tested with GZDoom 4.2.4.

You need both files in the archive to play. The Tutorial level in the levels.pk3 has been edited so you can see everything in action.

Betas:

Spoiler

Nothing here yet!

Stable Releases:

Spoiler

11/24/19 - Link Updated! - Tested from GZDoom 4.2.4!

Google Drive - Download 1.5d!

Change Log:

9/4/2018 
-Initial release of 1.0

9/5/2018 
-Forgot to add +PICKUP flag to morph ball so items could be picked up.
-Fixed Power Bombs spawning when morphing for the first time, or picking up Power Bombs for the first time.
-Fixed Doom Cannon HUD icon not showing.

9/5/2018
-Who needs sleep? That's totally how version numbers work.
-Fixed Space Jump. No more infinite jumps!
-Retired Ijon's unusedTID function. We have UniqueTID now.

9/6/2018
-Wall jumping is fixed!

9/16/2018
-Optimized Chroma Storm and its charge combo. Shortened the range of the lasers, increased the damage of the regular shot.
-Nerfed the Wave Beam charge combo and optimized it.
-Created a new CVar to turn off 3D models. Only works on the beams for now.
-You no longer start with Missiles. They have to be acquired first.

1/14/19
-Added Shinespark ability to the Speed Booster, and one test map to try it out with.
-Gave Morph Ball its own key binding instead of binding it to Use Item.
-Increased range of Chroma Storm's lasers and buffed damage.
-Missiles never spawn unless the first Missile Tank is collected.
-Added Varia Suit, and tweaked Samus' damage factors. She is a little weaker without the Varia Suit.
-Segregated the Charge Beam into its own pickup, so it's no longer a starting item.
-2D sprites for the Charge Beam pickup and Morph Ball pickup.
-Changed viewbob values and style to better match Samus' step pattern. Feels good man.

1/20/19
-Shinespark now invokes the TOTALLY_FROZEN flag, as it should.
-Added a HUD icon for shinespark. No more HUD message!
-Made beam charging a little faster and added a HUD meter to show the charge level. Rough for now will update later when I implement half-charge shots.

2/13/19
-Fixed the morph ball camera fucking up on slopes.
-Changed and re-positioned the charge meter.

3/10/19
-Fixed a bug where BFG spawned in place of Chroma Storm and thus never spawned any Missile Combos.

4/11/19
-Fixed missile pickups being invisible and not being able to be picked up.
-Also fixed drop rates. Missiles dropped WAY too often, and health not enough.
-Music now no longer plays from the start after acquiring pickups for the first time.
-Beam GUI now invokes PowerTimeFreeze to aid in selection during combat. There is a 3 second delay however after exiting before you can open it again to prevent abuse.

4/29/19
-Increased HUD resolution, redrew all the HUD graphics for all HUDs!
-IDKFA actually gives you everything.
-Fixed missiles spawning every time an enemy died, and now maps that have ammo in them will spawn missiles in their place after a missile tank has been acquired.
-Bombs can now open shootable doors.
-New item pickup sound thanks to CrazyWazy!

5/15/19
-All major beams now have an idling animation and added lighting/shadowing when charging and firing. THIS TOOK A REALLY LONG TIME (I painted everything by hand) so feedback is highly welcome! :)
-Tweaked Spazer half charge shot to be a little smaller and look a little better.

5/25/19
-Replaced Doom items and powerups with my own random spawners. Now, you can play through IWADs a lot easier and have a chance to get every upgrade.
-Slime no longer hurts when Varia Suit is obtained.

6/9/19
-Added INVENTORY.PERSISTENTPOWER flag to Varia Suit, so protection should last between levels.

8/8/19
-Made drops stay CVar enabled by default
-New animated HUD icons for charge combos that animate when a charge combo can be fired. See them here: https://imgur.com/gallery/mmNqfca
-Added colors to the charge meter on the HUD to better indicate half charge or full charge shots

11/24/19
-All Metroid items spawn in IWADs, but also will spawn something else if the item has been picked up already. Now ALL items do this.
-New item banners with the Zero Mission font.
-Moved the charge meter to the sides of the visor HUD.
-Fixed a bug that prevented energy and armor from being picked up if the player had more than one energy tank.
-Forced X/Y billboarding on the beams/missiles.
-Metroid Prime Trilogy crosshair added! Thanks Maky !
-New 3D crates and barrels, with textures made by ThatOneRandomDude! Thanks dude!

Edited by R4L : Updates!

This is really for anyone making mapsets, but Varia Suit is in, and Charge Beam has to be obtained now. Going to add the option to bypass that of course.

Wow. 

This makes me feel better about walking away from an ill-fated Metroid project I tried to start over a decade ago. This would have blown it out of the water and then some, even as I envisioned it. 

19 hours ago, Job said:

Wow. 

This makes me feel better about walking away from an ill-fated Metroid project I tried to start over a decade ago. This would have blown it out of the water and then some, even as I envisioned it. 

You can thank Terminus for this lol. I've only done a few gameplay changes and graphical changes. The rest is him and Ijon.

im gonna give some criticism if ya dont mind.

i feel like the 3d models arent really that good, because theyre really dated and when switching to them its very abrupt, and it doesnt fit with doom's pixel art. i suggest either making new models by teaming up with some others or perhaps work on some of the other sprites.

also, the first level of the bounty hunter episode seems to be missing a lot of enemies and also progression. this does have a lot, and i mean a LOT of potential. ill give you the support you need, even if it is just me. its just nothing is perfect and i love metroid so i do want this to become better. though from what ive seen of v1.5, it does look better. keep up the good work :)

3 hours ago, Mirthy said:

im gonna give some criticism if ya dont mind.

i feel like the 3d models arent really that good, because theyre really dated and when switching to them its very abrupt, and it doesnt fit with doom's pixel art. i suggest either making new models by teaming up with some others or perhaps work on some of the other sprites.

also, the first level of the bounty hunter episode seems to be missing a lot of enemies and also progression. this does have a lot, and i mean a LOT of potential. ill give you the support you need, even if it is just me. its just nothing is perfect and i love metroid so i do want this to become better. though from what ive seen of v1.5, it does look better. keep up the good work :)

Thanks! The Bounty Hunter episode is just really an unfinished thing left over from the original mod.

As for the models, I'm using HECL to rip proper versions of the Prime models (with animations) so I'll be adding those in at some point. I'd do pixel art, but my style definitely doesn't match the Doom aesthetic.

On 12/23/2018 at 11:41 PM, R4L said:

Thanks! The Bounty Hunter episode is just really an unfinished thing left over from the original mod.

As for the models, I'm using HECL to rip proper versions of the Prime models (with animations) so I'll be adding those in at some point. I'd do pixel art, but my style definitely doesn't match the Doom aesthetic.

Perhaps you could add an option to switch back to the pixel art style of arm canon, so everyone gets to be happy.

12 hours ago, Mirthy said:

Perhaps you could add an option to switch back to the pixel art style of arm canon, so everyone gets to be happy.

There already is an option to switch off the 3D models. It's in the Dreadnought Options sub menu in the Options menu.

On 12/28/2018 at 1:00 AM, R4L said:

There already is an option to switch off the 3D models. It's in the Dreadnought Options sub menu in the Options menu.

ah right, my apologies 

Updated the link for the beta in my first post.

-Shinespark does more damage now. It's not enough to kill a cyberdemon or a mastermind in one hit, but anything else is fair game.
-Made all beams use a modified weapon bob speed and style that matches Samus' footsteps better.
-Optimized the hyper beam much more. It uses 2 lasers instead. It also extends to the original 1024mu length (like vanilla dreadnought) but the beams graphically are only drawn for 300mu long. No lag and full functionality. Damage is buffed a bit (from 4/tic to 7/tic)

Tiny update:

-Shinespark now invokes the TOTALLY_FROZEN flag, as it should.
-Added a HUD icon for shinespark. No more HUD message!
-Made beam charging a little faster and added a HUD meter to show the charge level. Rough for now will update later when I implement half-charge shots.

As always, the link for the beta has been updated!

I thought adding half-charge shots would be a nightmare but it was relatively painless!

Still have to do the rest of the beams, and that means new sprite work, but it will get done.

hey, great work so far. im a bit of a dumbass sometimes and i cant figure out how to use the morph ball. 

57 minutes ago, Mirthy said:

hey, great work so far. im a bit of a dumbass sometimes and i cant figure out how to use the morph ball. 

Morph Ball has it's own bind now, so you might have to re-bind a key to it. In Controls, scroll all the way down to the bottom and you'll see it.

Yeah yeah, another bug fix update in first post:

-Fixed missile pickups being invisible and not being able to be picked up.
-Also fixed drop rates. Missiles dropped WAY too often, and health not enough.
-Music now no longer plays from the start after acquiring pickups for the first time.
-Beam GUI now invokes PowerTimeFreeze to aid in selection during combat. There is a 3 second delay however after exiting before you can open it again to prevent abuse.

Hopefully I can get some work done on a new beam next time... Until then, see you next mission!

Ugh, I can't believe I forgot this...

CrazyWazy made a new item jingle, so I put it in the latest release. New upload will be up later that really, seriously, positively... fixes too many missiles spawning. Thanks to Jekyll Grim Payne, it also improves compatibility with maps by spawning ammo pickups placed in maps if you have at least one missile tank. Before, these ammo pickups would be erased.

New update in first post. Included changes:

-Increased HUD resolution, redrew all the HUD graphics for all HUDs!

-IDKFA actually gives you everything.

-Fixed missiles spawning every time an enemy died, and now maps that have ammo in them will spawn missiles in their place after a missile tank has been acquired.

-Bombs can now open shootable doors.

-New item pickup sound thanks to CrazyWazy!

Bumping for updates (warning loud music!!): https://streamable.com/z49ih

Looked at the current beam sprites and thought they could use some lighting and shadowing applied during the firing and charging frames, so I did just that. Hand painted each frame for the 6 main beams! They also have ready animations while not firing. Nothing fancy, just wanted to give the beams a refresher really.

As always, link is updated in the first post.

I loved the isolation and horror in the metroid series so I am definitely adding this to my list of wads to play!

Just now, Immorpher said:

I loved the isolation and horror in the metroid series so I am definitely adding this to my list of wads to play!

Unfortunately, there are no maps yet... but there IS something in the works I promise.

6 minutes ago, Immorpher said:

I am good at waiting patiently :)

You can try a demo of the mapset here. It's being re-worked at the moment, but this is a demo after all...

Bump for updates. Oh, what's that? Finally! A stable release!

1.5c is now available as a stable release. Included are some welcome changes, but the most notable change is having random spawners for most Doom items. Before, you were lucky to find certain upgrades in a run. If you played Plutonia, you would never find Morph Ball because Plutonia has no Infrared pickups. Now, you should be able to acquire everything in a playthrough on any of the Doom IWADs!

The next goal is to add the Gravity Suit and Screw Attack, focus on replacing the Long Beam with something new, and revamping the 3D models to be less static and more dynamic and lively. BenRed, a new user in our Discord, is being kind enough to offer his modeling talents to Dreadnought! He's tailoring models specifically for this project, and even better, in a fashion that will allow me to animate them much easier than before since these models will have separated parts (the current models are rips). Additionally, I'd like to get some enemy replacement mods working with Dreadnought better until actual Metroid enemy replacements can be feasible.

As always, the link in the first post has been updated! Please report any bugs that you may encounter here.

Download link has been updated in first post to fix Varia Suit protection not persisting between levels. It now includes the INVENTORY.PERSISTENTPOWER flag.