Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
obake

Mall of Alexandria, a single huge map for UDMF

Welcome to the biggest mall around! This is the Mall of Alexandria, a GZdoom map for UDMF, utilizing resources from the OTEX texture set:

From Verse Hopper: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/versehop

and from Realm667 (included in the wad.) Thanks to Captain Toenail for the new resources (which I'll keep a surprise), and to Alfonzo and Mouldy for the music (which I got permission to use.)

Jumping and crouching are required.

Hopefully you all will have fun with the map. It took me over a month to make, and this is only version 1, so please tell of any bugs/problems you encounter, and your opinions on the map, so I can get it as good to play as possible. Thanks again, and God bless!

moas.zip

Screenshot_Doom_20181222_112042.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181222_115948.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181222_112259.png

Edited by obake

33 minutes ago, meapineapple said:

I have to check this out! Is it based on a particular real-world mall? 

Nope, this mall is entirely made up.

2 hours ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:

I loaded OTEX but there are still missing textures.  Is this not for DOOM2.WAD?

You probably also need to load Verse Hopper along with it.

Oops, double post.

I'm stuck! I'm in the eastern section, the round zone with the skull keys. I found the yellow one and opened its corresponding door, but I don't know how to get the red skull key. I can see it, but not get to it. Any advice?

I normally just stop playing in situations like these, but I'm enjoying this a lot and it'd be a shame if I just abandoned it like that, especially considering that I'm close to the end.

Spoiler

I'm glad you're enjoying it.

As for the red key, I believe there is a switch on one of the buildings near the center of the circular arena, that lowers part of the green brick building. Ride the floor up, and hit another switch to get the key. Hopefully that helps. 

Hold on, I made a mistake. You're supposed to crouch into the red key room. I forgot to mention that crouch and jumping are allowed. I apologize.

4 hours ago, obake said:

Hold on, I made a mistake. You're supposed to crouch into the red key room. I forgot to mention that crouch and jumping are allowed. I apologize.

Oh, that makes sense, thanks! You should definitely point that out in the OP though.

Thanks to everyone whose given feedback! I was wondering if anyone wanted to stream this map. I would definitely love some more critique, especially on the last third of the map, as I feel that part is the weakest.

I recorded my playthrough of this map. I enjoyed it! I liked how the mall was full of supplies when I started and slowly became empty of health and ammo as I fought and got damaged by monsters. I actually felt that the last part of the map was stronger than the early part of the map, which I personally felt was hindered by an overuse of hitscans in such a large area. I really don't like getting shot at by hitscans I can't see. Other than that I really liked the monster placement, though I did feel like the rocket launcher ambush could have had more teeth (e.g. revenants).

Something that's tough to pull off with larger maps like this one but I feel compelled to point out anyway - key and locked door hunting is a lot less fun for most players than seeing where they need to go right away and then finding out how to get there. I think that keys always being visible from the main area via windows and locked doors being similarly apparent could have made the gameplay more streamlined. This hardly broke the level for me, but I think that the problem @KVELLER posted about might have been because of this particular design detail.

I personally wouldn't have used a custom monster like you did, and it gave me a moment of confusion as I tried to figure out what it was, but other players are probably more amenable to new monsters than I am.