Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

I've been debating on borrowing some inspiration from his hall as well...but with a bit more wear and tear.
the "guitardz hall" may end up becoming a thing.

20 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

I Can't Believe It's Not Software!

Winter's Fury, rendered in GL at 640x400 with Vanilla distance fog, software-style banding, AO, and palette tonemapping. The result is quite gloomy and atmospheric, and not as murky as the screenshots suggest because objects silhouette nicely when in motion or animating. It kind of reminds me of Descent.

this looks incredible.  the lights especially. I've generally avoided using dynamic lights because they look too... "high quality" to me? compared to the rest of the game. these look perfect though and I would use them a lot more if I could make them look like that consistently. what is it that makes them look so good here? is it the resolution? or the banding?

All three, plus the palette, plus the fact that the author went light on out-of-palette colors so most maps retain most of their original colors. The Void map has a lot of psychedelic colored lighting and it looks utterly horrendous with these settings.

Basically what I'm doing is:

Resolution scale: 640x400, actual resolution 3840x2160 @ 70 Hz

cl_capfps 1

vid_vsync 1

NO anti-aliasing or texture filtering

No mipmaps

Distance fog: vanilla

Software-style banding enabled

Ambient occlusion set to maximum

Tonemap setting: palette

3 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

All three, plus the palette, plus the fact that the author went light on out-of-palette colors so most maps retain most of their original colors. The Void map has a lot of psychedelic colored lighting and it looks utterly horrendous with these settings.

Basically what I'm doing is:

Resolution scale: 640x400, actual resolution 3840x2160 @ 70 Hz

cl_capfps 1

vid_vsync 1

NO anti-aliasing or texture filtering

No mipmaps

Distance fog: vanilla

Software-style banding enabled

Ambient occlusion set to maximum

Tonemap setting: palette

Would it be possible for you to post your cfg file?  I have no idea where most of these options are and I'd love to have a software look on some maps that don't render well in software.

49 minutes ago, skillsaw said:

Eternity construction site map using OTEX. Surroundings/sky are super WIP.

etrn10.png

That looks kisckass, man.  Never seen a construction site in the Doom before.

1 hour ago, skillsaw said:

Eternity construction site map using OTEX. Surroundings/sky are super WIP.

etrn10.png

That looks like the Crane map from Unreal Tournament.

@Woolie Wool I found most of the settings.  My only issue is that I play in a 16x9 window and none of the resolution scale presets fit the window.  So, I'm just playing in 1792x1008 until I can figure out if there is a way to do that.  I didn't find settings for mipmaps and the fog settings didn't have a vanilla option, only standard, radial, and off, I set it to standard.  Here is some screens I took of my Bloodloss Lost Maps with my settings.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20181225_040731.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181225_040743.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181225_041043.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181225_041058.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181225_041135.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181225_041737.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181225_041848.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181225_042006.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181225_042025.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181225_042040.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181225_042447.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181225_042457.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181225_042502.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181225_042559.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181225_042604.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181225_042825.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181225_043341.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181225_043555.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181225_043621.png

finally going to be ready to update FotD before New Years.
I like how the stuff below the floor turned out and I need to tweek the status bar a tad more and then I'm done with maps one and two.

Screenshot_Doom_20181225_080301.png
edit: How do I change that stone on either side of the stbar to just solid black?

@wolfmcbeard How did you do that hole in the floor with a walkable wire-mesh fence ontop?! I am not sure how to call it, so it's a bit hard to google for... :/

9 minutes ago, elend said:

@wolfmcbeard How did you do that hole in the floor with a walkable wire-mesh fence ontop?! I am not sure how to call it, so it's a bit hard to google for... :/

It's a 3d floor set to the same level as the normal floor.
I had to bring the top and bottom of the 3d floor to the same height offset and the normal sector with the 3d floor tag was dropped down and detailed to my taste.
The wire mesh is just a texture I'm using.
I'll make a tutorial video if that didn't help much.

1 hour ago, wolfmcbeard said:

edit: How do I change that stone on either side of the stbar to just solid black?

In *ZDoom ports, you need to change the GameInfo section of ZMAPINFO, specifically you'll want to change those:

borderflat = "<lump>"
border = <size>, <offset>, "<tr>", "<t>", "<tl>", "<r>", "<l>", "<br>", "<b>", "<bl>"

For borderflat, refer to a lump that is solid black. For border, you need to refer to eight lumps that make the edge of the window. Instead of redefining it entirely, you can just replace the various BRDR_* images from DOOM2.WAD.

Merry Xmas dooming in Hell and this shot is from the wad Bloodspeed, map 23. 
Appropiate theme for this day...

AhGyr1R.png

9 hours ago, guitardz said:

I didn't find settings for mipmaps and the fog settings didn't have a vanilla option, only standard, radial, and off, I set it to standard.

The mipmapping settings are in the texture options, texture filtering specifically. Just set it to "None". As for the fog, maybe they meant sector lighting? You can set that to "Software" to have something closer to the original.

24 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

The mipmapping settings are in the texture options, texture filtering specifically. Just set it to "None". As for the fog, maybe they meant sector lighting? You can set that to "Software" to have something closer to the original.

Thanks, I was already using both of those so that works.  However in OpenGL Options there is a fog option, but the settings are standard, radial, and off.  I can't tell a difference between standard and off, but radial is definitely not what I want.

13 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

I don't think the smeary/smudgy effect works for upscaling a low-res texture.

I think they look pretty nice.  Just a different style for those who like it.

9 minutes ago, elend said:

Those cranes... how?

My guess would be 3D floors with transparent textures, but I'm no expert at this.

@skillsaw That is infinitely more complicated than I was expecting, lol.  I have noticed in a couple of UDMF maps I've played recently, an Example being @Dragonfly's Order of the Odanata, some use of this upper and lower area thing.  I like it.  I would like to be able to learn to do such tricks one day.  But you mentioned using Eternity portals, I take it that is a function that only works in Eternity?

ZDoom has linked portals as well. I'm not sure how the feature compares between the two ports, as I've only worked with Eternity's.

Note - this map is designed and tested for Eternity, I have no idea what would happen if I tried to load it in ZDoom.

5 minutes ago, skillsaw said:

ZDoom has linked portals as well. I'm not sure how the feature compares between the two ports, as I've only worked with Eternity's.

Note - this map is designed and tested for Eternity, I have no idea what would happen if I tried to load it in ZDoom.

It's cool to know both have the capability of doing it.  I've recently started using Eternity on the side...hopefully GZD doesn't start getting jealous.