Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AJOgames

Does anyone know of any Palette Changer/Editors?

Question

I wanted to edit the Doom palette to change some of the colors, but I can't seem to find any palette editors, I've looked all over and I can't seem to find anything, (NOTE: I do know that Graphicsgale and GIMP, which I both have, can edit palettes, but I need a way to export the color format and then convert them to whatever file format that doom engine color palettes are stored in, otherwise in I try to import the palette, Slade3 will just refer to if as "unknown")

9 answers to this question

52 minutes ago, AJOgames said:

I wanted to edit the Doom palette to change some of the colors, but I can't seem to find any palette editors

PROTIP: create a new palette within SLADE (archive->new->PLAYPAL), select that palette, and then tweak it to your heart's content. You can modify ranges (the colourise, tint, invert, tweak, and gradient tools) or you can directly edit individual colors by right-clicking them (it'll bring up your operating system's standard color chooser dialogbox, enter whatever values you want).

52 minutes ago, AJOgames said:

otherwise in I try to import the palette, Slade3 will just refer to if as "unknown"

Doom's format is quite simple, since it's just a raw dump of 256 RGB values, each on three bytes (one for red, one for green, and one for blue). And then you have more palettes for pain and pickup flashes as well as for wearing the radsuit.

PROTIP: create a new palette within SLADE (archive->new->PLAYPAL), select that palette, and then choose Palette->Import from and you can import palettes in the GIMP and JASC formats, as well as PNG pictures of a palette.

When you're done modifying the base palette, you can delete the other palettes with the "remove others" tool to keep only your custom base palette, and then regenerate the others from your custom base palette.

Thank you! I will try to do that right now.

I also tried to import some color palettes from Build engine games using Bafed and Slade, which is a tool that allows you to view/edit/import/export Build engine ART Files, which are basically the graphics of the game, you can load and export palettes from any Build engine game, even the more obscure ones, 

As I was saying eariler, I was trying to import the LameDuke color palette to Slade and save it as a custom palette by first exporting the palette from Bafed, (which I was able to do,) but when I tried putting it into Slade, it said it was "unknown".

Now when you choose to export a palette when using Bafed, you have the decision of exporting it in three different fie formats, there's Microsoft Palette (.pal) PhotoShop Palettes (.act) and and Build engine Palettes (.dat).

I had first tried .dat, but it didn't get recognized by Slade as a palette, so I eventually tried .act and .pal, but nothing, same result as before, so yeah, that kinda sucks.

the reason I wanted to use the Lameduke palette was because I rather liked the skin tone colors in that game, compared to the final version which has a bit of a slight yellow tint to it.

If you want to give it a shot, you can check out these links:

LameDuke Download:

http://legacy.3drealms.com/downloads.html

Bafed (Build Art Files Editor) requires Java! also note that it will occasionally crash when you try to load an art file, though I don't let it bother me, this tool is very easy to boot up, even if it only loads up in windowed mode.

https://m210.duke4.net/index.php/downloads/category/8-java

You can actually load Build engine .ART files in SLADE.

The palette format in Duke 3D is basically the same as in Doom, except that the maximum value for each color channel is 63 (six bits) instead of 255 (eight bits).

8 minutes ago, AJOgames said:

I had first tried .dat, but it didn't get recognized by Slade as a palette

SLADE identifies palette by looking if they're given a name that ends in PAL, basically. Like PLAYPAL. Load your .dat file, select it, and open the SLADE console (Ctrl-2). Then type the following commands:

type palette

This first command will tell it that the file is a palette. If it still doesn't recognize it, you can try "type palette force" to force it to identify it as a palette. Select another lump then select the palette again to refresh the view: you'll see a rather dark palette. It's dark because the brightest it can be is barely one fourth of the maximum brightness a Doom palette can have.

palconv

This second command will convert the palette from six bits to eight bits. You'll see the palette becoming brighter and now resemble the actual game palette as seen in Build.

So I did as you said, selected Palette.dat and opened up the console, and did "type palette force" and it worked, Slade was able to recognize it as a palette, but for some reason, when I typed in "palconv" into the console to make the palette brighter, it just changes it back to "unknown", you sure that's the correct command? or it just an issue with Slade?

26 minutes ago, AJOgames said:

I had no idea Slade had a command console on it, that helps out a lot, Thanks!

SLADE has a ton of console commands, many of them are for kinda obscure functions that are not normally needed for Doom editing.

http://slade.mancubus.net/index.php?page=wiki&wikipage=Console

6 minutes ago, AJOgames said:

So I did as you said, selected Palette.dat and opened up the console, and did "type palette force" and it worked, Slade was able to recognize it as a palette, but for some reason, when I typed in "palconv" into the console to make the palette brighter, it just changes it back to "unknown", you sure that's the correct command?

Just use type palette force again.

Any operation that changes the entry content will cause SLADE to try to reidentify the entry, and since palettes are partly identified by their name rather than only by their content, it's normal.