Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

Well, I figured that since a lot of Doom tracks are MIDI renditions of popular metal songs, John Romero would have wanted to do that again, only this time with music composed specifically for the occasion.

i'm guessing that the Buckethead tracks are the intended soundtrack for the episode, and whatever the MIDI alternative is going to be won't be that exciting in comparison. could be surprised, though, given that the episode is going to be released free, and the soundtrack is only provided if you buy any of the Sigil boxes.

For all we know Buckethead has created 3,000 MIDI tracks since working with Romero

Hell, he probably created two just in the span of me making this post

I downloaded Romero's streams and play them in the background while I work on maps, and either I misheard or misunderstood, but it sure sounded like when he was asked about creating E4M2 in 8 hours, he mentioned he created one of the Sigil levels in a single day.

On 12/9/2018 at 3:27 AM, MsKaye said:

I think it's kind of clear what it is. I believe it's an expansion to The Ultimate Doom - an Episode 5. Would really fit for the 25th anniversary. Not sure how I feel about accepting "pre-orders." Skeptical on what that's all about. But we'll see.

Ordered it.

If i can get a confirmation the Icon Of Sin pewter is the same scale as the classic pewters, i’m definetely getting the beast box. 

Edit: Just found the merch site don’t take BB orders after the 24th - that’s what i get for being on vacation during Doom’s 25th ...

:€

Edited by Soundblock

On 12/16/2018 at 9:43 PM, Gunstar Green said:

I mean, if he wasn't done he wasn't done I guess.

You're in the wrong game, buddy. It's Doom, not Duke.

BTW: If it's not done yet, how can he give a release date?

On 12/30/2018 at 8:13 AM, DoomGater said:

Pretty much every game released by a studio is given a release date before it's finished. We've only really seen exceptions to that with things like Steam Early Access and mods. Sometimes they are pushed back, but for the most part, release dates serve to "motivate" (read: stress out) the development team, among other purposes.

On 12/30/2018 at 10:13 AM, DoomGater said:

The levels are done but he's still polishing them. He's changed minor things between his streams.

There could be other reasons for the delay on Limited Run's side, though that wouldn't have stopped him from releasing the wad to the Internet I guess.

Edited by Gunstar Green

13 hours ago, Gunstar Green said:

There could be other reasons for the delay on Limited Run's side, though that wouldn't have stopped him from releasing the wad to the Internet I guess.

My guess is that the WAD will be released after the ones who have paid for the box have received their copy (or at least most of them). I can imagine some people might be a little bit disgruntled otherwise. Personally I wouldn't mind, but you never know ...

As for the delay: It was my impression that it was to get the exact number of orders and then produce the boxes accordingly.

56 minutes ago, Stocki said:

As for the delay: It was my impression that it was to get the exact number of orders and then produce the boxes accordingly.

Correct. That's what they initially communicated.

On 12/26/2018 at 2:34 PM, wheresthebeef said:

For all we know Buckethead has created 3,000 MIDI tracks since working with Romero

Hell, he probably created two just in the span of me making this post

In other words, we don't know what's in the bucket.

I know I'm super late to post here, but this looks really kick-ass! The legend himself making a whole new episode for Doom? Yes please!
Already pre-ordered my box set in December. Can't wait to play it next month!

I'd presume sometime in the next two weeks. Romero's page for it says it will be released Mid-February. Not sure about the physical releases, though.

30 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

I'd presume sometime in the next two weeks. Romero's page for it says it will be released Mid-February. Not sure about the physical releases, though.

The Limited Run website says the physical one will ship mid-February as well, so my guess is they should all be available around the same time.

I can't wait!!!!! Holy shit! A new OG Doom episode? By one of the OG creators! Sure its not "official" but who cares? Its from John Romero for christ's sake. It's the closest we will ever get to official new addons. Hell. I'd say this is  more exciting then no rest for the living since that one was just made by Nerve Software. This one is from Romero himself! 

No Rest for the Living was awesome, we'd be lucky if Sigil will be as good as that.

21 hours ago, VGA said:

No Rest for the Living was awesome, we'd be lucky if Sigil will be as good as that.

Why not combine the two?

No Rest for the Sigil... wait that sounds like a theoretical expansion pack to Strife: Veteran Edition...

So excited for this.

I do hope we get some kind of midi arrangement of the music though.

Doom is the main reason I got into buying midi equipment over the years and it just doesn't feel the same without it.  

I might hold off for a while and see what happens if it doesn't release with any. I need to buy a new power cable for my SC-55 anyway.

6 hours ago, braders1986 said:

I do hope we get some kind of midi arrangement of the music though.

There are enough talented musicians in the Doom community that I feel almost certain somebody will organize creating MIDI versions of the tracks. Although Buckethead's music is complex enough that it's likely to be a challenge.

2 hours ago, fraggle said:

Although Buckethead's music is complex enough that it's likely to be a challenge.

It probably will be for a couple of the chosen tracks at least. I've seen MIDI versions of Dream Theater and LTE songs so it's not impossible nor even far fetched. Hell, maybe some already exist? If we're lucky. *Begins searching*

I am also hoping some talented artist(s) will create a new intermission map graphic set akin to episode 1-3, and the custom made one for 4. Maybe the guys who made that can be contacted and make this one?

4 hours ago, fraggle said:

There are enough talented musicians in the Doom community that I feel almost certain somebody will organize creating MIDI versions of the tracks. Although Buckethead's music is complex enough that it's likely to be a challenge.

I'm sure someone will do this.

Er, that type of MIDI is a direct conversion of an MP3 audio file into MIDI data. It wasn't transcribed by hand. God no.

Honestly if I do a "SIGIL MIDI Pack", I'll make some entirely original compositions - like I did with Harmony.

45 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Er, that type of MIDI is a direct conversion of an MP3 audio file into MIDI data. It wasn't transcribed by hand. God no.

(That was the joke - people would make Buckethead MIDIs by converting the streamed audio into "MIDIs")

On 12/26/2018 at 2:17 PM, Viscra Maelstrom said:

i'm guessing that the Buckethead tracks are the intended soundtrack for the episode, and whatever the MIDI alternative is going to be won't be that exciting in comparison. could be surprised, though, given that the episode is going to be released free, and the soundtrack is only provided if you buy any of the Sigil boxes.

However, knowing the Internet, it won't be long before FLAC torrents of Buckethead's soundtrack are out there for everyone to enjoy.

I asked John and his team if we could at least buy an digital version of the soundtrack, but they said it's unlikely unfortunaly...

Edited by JCST