Find results in...
Guest Mariner

Doom 1 or 2?

Which one is your favorite?  

438 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is your favorite?

• DOOM/The Ultimate DOOM
    • DOOM II: Hell on Earth

I really don't understand how people can say that Doom 2's levels are inferior to Doom's in any way, shape and form. 

Doom episode 1 is so boring when it comes to gameplay and theme.

1 hour ago, DooM_RO said:

It's uglier but plays better.

This. Doom 2's levels play better than doom 1's E2 and E3.

(Also none of the doom 1 levels have anything on doom 2's map11)

Say what you will about Doom 2, but barrels o'fun and dead simple were two of the most memorable doom maps, for me. I may be biased though since I have played doom 2 waaaay more than the original doom. 

I have no idea why it feels that way to you. You will need to look deep into your soul to discover what is broken.

Doom 2 got some stinkers but it really isn't that many. (I'd argue those are The Factory, The Courtyard, The Citadel & Nirvana, but your mileage may vary) The entire first episode is solid all the way through, with plenty of memorable locations. Doom 1 makes a bigger impact mostly due to the nostalgic effect, but Doom 2 is the better game.

I will just quote a old post of mine:

As for the mere gimmick, the larger space that Doom 2 provides often consists of largely empty areas, making the game boring. The earth levels also feels sort of unfun, no real thought was given to their texturing. It largely consists of brown textures that was overused. Especially The Chasm where the brown textures is really overused.

The Pit looked rather dull, and there's an area that would look better if the ceiling was a sky.

The early version of the Refueling Base looked better. The Downtown level emphasises too much on bricks.

A real solution to the low detail of Doom 2 would be to increase vissprites limit enough so that Doom 2 has good detail and yet still good performance, something id software didn't do.

And another one:

Both gameplay and visual appearance matters to me. A map that has good gameplay but ugly visuals would be bad, at least for me.

I prefer Doom 1's much better visual appearance and gameplay and Doom 1 E4's better hellish graphical appearance and gameplay despite difficulty.

Also, I think that TeamTNT and the Casali brothers gave good thought about texturing when designing their maps. They are surely hard but has good visual appearance.

But TNT : Evilution loses its betterness when you get to Map20 and later.

And I am still able to enjoy them but not on the level of TNT : Evilution where maps are much more enjoyable than usual.

And for this reason I prefer John Romero's maps alongside TeamTNT maps. I am arguing that Doom 2 is ugly because they don't have good futuristic appearance and maps like the Industrial Zone look like they are castles when Doom 2 is supposed to take place in futuristic timeline. Doom 2 Reloaded designs each and every map from scratch so that they actually resemble city and futuristic landscapes.

Plutonia is the real Doom 2.

Doom 2 texturing and colors gets boring in The Factory and later as they have really empty larger spaces that looked empty of any sign of dead humans.

Some maps were gimmicky, but tbh most of it is pretty good.

From the hated Inferno episode, I really really love maps 26 to 29, for example. Most of City levels plays well too, with Downtown and Courtyard maybe being exceptions.

Oh, thank goodness that there is a such kind soul like you, who was brave enough to make another, definitely not discussed 1 billion times before, topic about absolutely life urgent problems like: "why is X such hot garbage/I think X is worse than Y/why people can't make good wads for me to play", man, 5 more of these, and doomworld will probably collapse right into the black hole from a such overwhelming enlightenment and positivity.

But jokes aside, I have nothing against you, OP, (in fact, the way you formed your opinion is definitely alright, and you are pretty polite and definitely not mean spirited (so far), compared to some other folks, so, huge respect for that) it's just this whole thing is kinda getting old at this point.

Edited by BioRenegat

Unoriginal thread aside, I never found Doom 2’s level design that bad. There might have been about 1 or 2 levels that I didn’t like, but other than that I still loved the city architecture and open-ended environments. In fact, huge maps with city-like design are one of my favourite things in Doom wads. I just think it looks cool.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

I can't agree with that. E2M3, E2M4, E2M5 all have strong senses of place too IMO.

They all felt like the same mishmash of whatever to me. E2M6 is actually better than those, as it's a really frightening level, more like a preview to Monster Condo.

Well the reason is that this poster only appeared in doom 3 threads.

8 hours ago, Xyzzy01 said:

Why?

Why another one of these threads?

And this is the end of this thread.

Sorry to all if this is was discussed many many times. I'm new here (well, atleast I spend more time at Doom 3 forums than here), so please admins you can close the thread if this annoy people. Next time I'll search a post if it already exists before making one myself.

PD: Thanks for all the comments, I read some posts defending Doom 2 and that was really cool because I was able to see some points of view I never think about.

Edited by Doommarine_maxi

Just a simple poll to see which of the two main games you prefer over the other.

I'm not voting to keep it fair, but I personally prefer the first game, simply due to better level design IMO and the non-existence of Archviles.

@Nine Inch Heels Time to do the evil things again ;P

Doom 2 has higher variety to me because of the roster. Maps though, can't really tell since they are those good old maps where you need to be imaginative. BTW, the more I played Doom 2 Map24, I like it more, weird.

I prefer the first Doom because of the atmosphere and the theming/level progression. I'm not crazy for the arcade-y feel overall from Doom II. Strangely enough, I prefer Plutonia more than Doom II. I wish Doom II stayed in development longer. It just felt rushed to me.

A combination of both.

Map design from Doom 1.

Extended bestiary and SSG from Doom 2.

I would most likely replay Doom 1 rather than 2, so I guess if I had to choose one, I would go with Doom 1 (original 3 episodes version).

On the whole, I prefer Doom1, but the combat definitely evolved with Doom2, featuring more diverse enemy types, and of course, the Super Shotgun. But Doom2 doesn't have the same quality of level design and atmosphere as Doom1. For user-generated content, I definitely prefer Doom2 though.

Trying to think of which one of those two radio buttons to click on kinda makes me freak out a little bit.

Spoiler

Base game with nothing else? - Doom

Custom stuff then I'd say Doom 2. One can always get/make something in Doom2 that looks or plays like the first game.

Ay ay ay, gonna stick to (Ultimate) Doom for the whole mega arch super hyper ultra cheesy nostalgia and because it already introduced two of my favourite enemies, the mutant cherry and the brain with short-term memory loss. Sure, troopers and sergeants are good people, imps make funny noises, lost souls are dummies but not as pinkies stuck in door tracks or in general, cyberdemons are asexually attractive, barons are fab, and spectres exist, but the former two have a special spot in my heart. Also like the level design, atmosphere, music tracks and textures a bit more.

Edited by galileo31dos01

Doom II. The shareware episode of Doom is a timeless classic in the history of the FPS genre, but Episodes 2 and 3 have not aged well at all IMO. I believe this is largely due to Sandy Petersen only being given two months to complete his maps and never having worked with a level editor prior to joining id. I can count the number of maps I liked on one hand. Most of the others range from just OK at best to bad/mediocre at worst. (E2M6, *yes, I said E2M6, deal with it haters :V* E3M2, E3M4, E3M5, and E3M9 all being clear examples.)

Doom 2 might have it's flaws, but I honestly feel the overall package is much more enjoyable than Doom 1 was. People often criticize his maps, but Sandy was clearly given more time to flesh out his designs, and combined with the expanded bestiary and the addition of the super shotgun, Doom 2 was the better game for it.

Edited by Patch93

Doom II has the better bestiary and weapons balance, but Doom has the better level progression and "feel", whereas Doom II just felt like levels got thrown together as opposed to a cohesive unit.

I'd say part of that is due to Tom Hall's development in early Doom, and Doom II being basically absent of that and a relatively quick cash grab.

It's hardly a bad game, it's just not really nearly as steady in what it exposes as the original. It assumes you've played the first game, so it neither holds back, nor paces what you'll get all that much.

Doom 2.

Doom 1 is great at what it does, and has a better sense of place, but lacks the expanded bestiary of the sequel, and the combat is overall more fun in Doom 2 as well.