Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Amph

any new megawad in the vein of alien vendetta?

i'm searching for a good all around megawads like th old one anything? maybe alien vendetta 2 but i doubt...

How "new" are you talking? If you mean anything newer than AV itself, then the most obvious candidates are Kama Sutra and Speed of Doom.

Jenesis and Unholy Realms as well might be close enough. (Trying to avoid repeating any.) I'm also assuming the megawad must have an Earth/tech episode and end with a hell episode - both staples of AV? Eviternity, Valiant/AA, Struggle, and Epic 2 fail there. Resurgence simply has the thematic order reversed.

I'm not as well played as a lot of folks around here but I'll echo that Speed of Doom and Resurgence both fit pretty well I think

You're in luck -- I think you'd have a much harder time finding a modern megawad that isn't inspired by AV.

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is Hellbound, though I would echo that Speed of Doom and Resurgence are probably the closest to AV of everything that's been mentioned. Perhaps Scythe 2 as well.

Hopefully Akeldama will fit somewhere along those same lines, since it's supposed to be like a spiritual successor to older megawads of that quality.

11 hours ago, Amph said:

i'm searching for a good all around megawads like th old one anything? maybe alien vendetta 2 but i doubt...

Great suggestions already, but it also kind of depends how exactly you're defining "in the vein of". Do you mean thematically? Difficulty? Gameplay style? Or just "good old-school megawads"?

6 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Fresh suggestion -----> Struggle

Don't see how that's anywhere close to Alien Vendetta.

I think all AV-like wads have already been mentioned in this thread. I'd say very few are able to capture those AV vibes, which is unfortunate. Imo the closest one is Kama Sutra, though that one also feels very much like its own thing. I think AV is something only these old speedrunners from the community could replicate, and only as a community project, too. 

Very true point above, I'd agree it's important to note AV was a community project. But I think Community Chest 4 and NOVA 2 are the community projects that come closest, while Speed of DooM, Unholy Realms, Jenesis, and Resurgence are closest overall but they are not community projects which does make a difference.

Well, many if not most popular megawads nowadays are inspired by AV. Inspired doesn't mean you'll make it be like whatever you're using as inspiration.

Alien Vendetta is indeed one of megawads that gave me strong inspirations in making doom levels. Whenever I ran out of ideas, I just loaded the AV.wad in my ZDL and played it. When I played AV for the first time, I thought "I really should make a full megawad like this!". I'm going to quote my own words from DWMC:

On 8/1/2018 at 1:39 AM, antares031 said:

...Even back in 2006, there were lots of community-made megawads, which looked really impressive and fun to play. After I played Alien Vendetta, I decided to make my own levels to show my appreciation to the community.

For instances, Killer Colours made me love blue textures, and let me use them a lot in my doom levels, including the last episode of Struggle. Dark Dome inspired me to make a level with a concept of slaughtering scene in the beginning for MAP27. Hey, it even has an obvious tribute to the Misri Halek, my all-time favorite classic doom level. To me, Alien Vendetta is the fuel to run my level-designing engine, and it's been working really good for the last 12 years.

The overall gameplay-wise of Struggle, however, runs quite different with classic megawads, because of many custom elements. While Alien Vendetta is pure vanilla compatible classic megawad with the original materials (with some custom textures, of course), Struggle is a partial conversion with limit-removing compatibility. Although AV did give me lots of inspirations, I can say that Struggle is in the different category, compare to the classic vanilla megawads, thanks to the different gameplay mechanisms.

completely forgot about this topi- lol, tnx for all the suggestions

On 12/29/2018 at 4:57 PM, Grazza said:

How "new" are you talking? If you mean anything newer than AV itself, then the most obvious candidates are Kama Sutra and Speed of Doom.

i mean that was made recently in the last 3 years or so

i forgot to say that i don't want modded wad, no new enemy or weapons, just regular wad

Edited by Amph

Someone should make a MM3 cp these days, or Hell Revealed 3... or Alien Vendetta 2... or Kama Sutra 2...

4 hours ago, Juza said:

Someone should make a MM3 cp these days, or Hell Revealed 3... or Alien Vendetta 2... or Kama Sutra 2...

Requiem was more or less MM3, right?

14 hours ago, Amph said:

i mean that was made recently in the last 3 years or so

i forgot to say that i don't want modded wad, no new enemy or weapons, just regular wad

Then you might want to reconsider Valiant or Struggle.  I'd second the votes for Unholy Realms and Speed of Doom, definitely not Resurgence.  

Community Chest 4 has some good maps and others that suffer community project syndrome: meaninglessly long and wanky in terms of exploration.  Community projects are always a mixed bag.  

1 hour ago, loveless said:

Then you might want to reconsider Valiant or Struggle. 

Valiant has a "Vaccinated Edition" which removes the weapon/enemy mods.

@loveless Seems to me Resurgence would be actually one of the most sure fire recommendations...It would be my top recommendation (though it exceeds the three year quota a bit).

So me, allowing last five years (2014-2018) & megawads only: Resurgence, NOVA 2, Valiant Vaccinated, Sunlust, Bloodstain. Probably near that order when considering both quality AND how AV-like it is overall (Bloodstain is actually most like AV but lowest quality). Play Sunlust on HMP though.

(UR would be in there too but it's from 2013.)

3 hours ago, Salt-Man Z said:

Valiant has a "Vaccinated Edition" which removes the weapon/enemy mods.

It does and I've tried playing it, it holds no interest.  Most of the threat came from custom monsters, without there's no bite at all.

@FrancisT18 Resurgence just didn't hold the same level of quality that Speed of Doom had.  It also had only one-half working on it(no Darkwave).  Baked in speed routes and too much or too little ammo on certain maps made it kind of a downer for me.  

Which compatibility mode should be played for these level recommendations? {Default/ Doom/ Doom (strict)/ Boom/ Boom (strict)/ MBF/ ZDoom 2.0.63}? I never know which one to select per megawad.

12 minutes ago, ryanmusante said:

Which compatibility mode should be played for these level recommendations? {Default/ Doom/ Doom (strict)/ Boom/ Boom (strict)/ MBF/ ZDoom 2.0.63}? I never know which one to select per megawad.

Check the readme that comes with it, it should say whether or not it's limit removing/vanilla, boom, mbf, or otherwise.

i've already played speed of doom, great megawad, Unholy Realms seems good, based on the youtube video, i might try that