Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

27 minutes ago, Xyzzy01 said:

I'm guessing some form of "Floor Lower To Lowest" doesn't work?

Oh god... that does work indeed. I was messing around with stairs for an hour, trying "platform lower to lowest" even, and meanwhile totally forgetting about "floor lower to lowest".

@Bridgeburner56 Hah! I wish, I would be able to dabble in the dark arts that is scripting. Maybe one day... gotta visit Hogwarts first, though.

EDIT: And yet... the textures always disappear. :/ No clue what I am doing wrong. I remove the stairs, as they would after being triggered, texture everything that was previously unseen and then save. But ingame those textures are gone again and I stare into a HOM.

Edited by elend : Still doesn't work... xD

40 minutes ago, elend said:

... But ingame those textures are gone again and I stare into a HOM.

Did you use Lower Unpegged on the stair textures?

Yeah, I did this. Turns out, I was just beeing stupid and didn't notice several missing textures. Everything works now, even better than expected, since I am using "Move Floor to Value" now, which lets me even raise other floors at the same time..

Thanks to everyone! <3

How do I get Platforms / Lifts made out of several sectors working?!

I'd love to have a little bit detail and my lifts. Thus, they are now made out of 5 sectors. If I give them all the same tag and then try to trigger them via a switch and "platform lower wait raise" line def, it only moves one of the lift's 5 sectors. Is there another way? :/

I tried this Sector_SetLink and unfortunately can't get it to work. I told you, I am a newbie. T_T But Lifts with multiple sectors would be a really, really nice thing to have, so what am I doing wrong? I linked all the real lift's sectors to a single fake lift with a different tag. Then I linked the fake lift to the real one, but nothing happens. Do I need a script?

Here are some Screenshots:

Spoiler

Sector_SetLink_01.jpg.f63ca77543239a2070f70e097553bfc4.jpgSector_SetLink_02.jpg.cd9ce484299f1e18ca5077572049b19c.jpgSector_SetLink_03.jpg.6ded988782f84cf3dcf4f18bf9a4489c.jpgSector_SetLink_04.jpg.2c5b3cd74c5f4501cc7ecd65355c7ccc.jpg

I don't know what sector links are, but I can suggest you use the vanilla and Boom method of using control sectors.

Just make a small sector outside the map at the height you want the sectors to lower to and attach several smaller sectors to it, then join the lift sectors to those outside sectors (clicking on the lift textures first, then the dummy sectors) and they all will move as one. Make sure that these dummy sectors are only touching the control sector (the one which controls the height your lift lowers to), to be sure that it works properly.

1259375618_AC-Sitariat2018_12.3008-31-02.854R3041.jpg.4ac8e1f45425d0035627578e818ada47.jpg

The resulting structure should look something like this, were I used this method to make a lift in Boom with a light gradient on it.

You don't need a dummy sector for Sector_SetLink. Set up the lift like normal for the first sector, then choose one of the lines of that sector that is otherwise not doing anything   and set it to Sector_SetLink, using the lift's tag as the control tag. Set all other sectors of the lift to the new tag used in Sector_Setlink. Set the Surface field to False to link the floor of the control sector, and set the Movetype to 1 to link it to the floor of the other sectors.

5 hours ago, elend said:

Do I need a script?

As a total non-programmer scripting rather intimidated me to begin with. I much preferred the physicality of building all the level effects in the map itself.

But really, once you get your head around it (and it really isn't too bad), scripting is so much easier for anything remotely complex like this. I wasted so much time trying to manhandle the basic line-actions into doing what I wanted when writing a script would have taken 60 seconds. 

It's a skill unto itself and there is a learning curve, but genuinely I would sincerely recommend looking into ACS if you are planning more (G)ZDoom maps.

I use GZDBBF and GZDOOM.

To link sectors there is no need for control sectors or Sector_SetLink or scripts.

All one has to do is, select and highlight all sectors affected and press J to join the sectors

and set the sector ID tag as used in the line special.

For more complex actions or multiple actions to be performed at the same time,

there is, indeed, no easier way than what Bauul mentioned.

Edited by Kappes Buur

34 minutes ago, Kappes Buur said:

I use GZDBBF and GZDOOM.

To link sectors there is no need for control sectors or Sector_SetLink or scripts.

All one has to do is, select and highlight all sectors affected and press J to join the sectors

and set the sector ID tag as used in the line special.

For more complex actions or multiple actions to be performed at the same time,

there is, indeed, no easier way than what Bauul mentioned.

Pressing J would make it all one sector. He wanted to have details on the lift that require more than one sector, with different ceiling heights or brightness etc.

@Empyre Now that does the trick! I had a hard time understanding the arguments, what exactly they meant. But now it's a really compact and elegant solution. Thank you so much! <3

In a constant effort to improve my mapping level design skills, I am trying to incorporate more scripts into my maps. Yet, I have a really hard time with it, no matter how easy it supposedly is.

Today I wanted to execute a simple script, that lowers two different floors to two different heights when a thing is picked up. Yet, nothing works and there is an error in line 3. If I remove line 3 completely, there is suddenly an error in the line with "}"... what?! And yes, I added "script execute" to the actual thing. Ingame I get the error message, that Script 4 could not be found.

script 4 (void) // remove stairs in circular room
{   Floor_MoveToValue (40, 8, -214)
    Floor_MoveToValue (44, 8, -211)
}

You're missing semicolons on your lines.

Your code should look like this:

script 4 (void) // remove stairs in circular room
{
    Floor_MoveToValue (40, 8, -214);
    Floor_MoveToValue (44, 8, -211);
}

I also move the properties down so as to tell what works a little bit more easily.

Hot damn, stupid me. Again. It works flawlessly now! Thank you really, really much. ^_^

Question for vanilla: how does light synchronizing work? I have a sector that is effect 4 (max damage + light blinks 2hz). Can I manipulate other sectors to match its blinking rate?

@Kappes Buur, what I'm asking is specifically how to get discrete sectors to blink at the same time when at least one of them cannot use the "synchronized" effect.

I might be talking out my ass but I recall someone saying that it's controlled by sector index, so if you want two sectors to blink in unison they need to be 255 or 256 sectors apart in terms of sector index.

If that DOES work it's a lot of effort for very little gain :P

Making my first map and I want to be able to edit monster walk speeds, make pinkies a little faster.

I did some Googling but a lot of the advice is from forum posts made years ago and it appears that much of the software used has been deprecated or is not compatible with Windows 10. What is the current software I ought to be using to edit monster walk speeds?

I'm using Doom Builder 2 to make my map, if that is relevant.

Edited by DoomBeard

Depends what port you're targetting - If ZDoom based ports, modify the monsters with DECORATE or ZScript, using a tool called SLADE. Otherwise, use WhackEd4 to make a DeHackEd lump that modifies them. :)

6 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@Kappes Buur, what I'm asking is specifically how to get discrete sectors to blink at the same time when at least one of them cannot use the "synchronized" effect.

If none of them will do what you want then the other option is to use GZDoom's scripting ability,

for example https://zdoom.org/wiki/Light_ChangeToValue or any of the other lighting specials as needed.

Really need a short and useful explanationon how to add the pallete of doom 2 new colors.

I've heard doom's pallete is missing two full lines of color and you can just add your desirable without changing the original.

Any help will gratefully accepted. :)

6 minutes ago, Eradrop said:

I've heard doom's pallete is missing two full lines of color and you can just add your desirable without changing the original.

This is extremely wrong.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/PLAYPAL

To make it simple: no, you can't magically add more colors to the palette without changing it the original. There are a few colors that are redundant so you can add more colors without losing existing colors; however it'd require updating graphics to make sure they don't use the redundant values you've removed, and there's definitely not enough of them to make "two full lines".

oh, i get you... but there's enough place to add lets say a yellow and light blue without harming an exist color? or it will demand me give up some colors?

As said, there are redundant colors in the palette. Notably, colors 0 and 247 are both fully black (#000000), colors 4, 168, 208, and 224 are all fully white (#FFFFFF), so you could turn, say, 208 into a blue and 224 into a yellow and things would probably be fine.

In Doom Builder, is there a way to right click on top of a linedef without opening the properties window? It's annoying when you just want to draw a damn line.

I tend to zoom in really close to the line and click next to where I want to start the new line in this instance.