Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Miss Bubbles

Lunar Catastrophe - An Ultimate Doom Megawad (RELEASED!)

I wanna just say real quick that I've been in contact with these fine mappers for the entire mapping process and have played a small bit of this already. I'm a huge fan of vanilla styled wads, and while I'm not really one to play test any maps, I can confirm that this is going to be fan-friggin-tastic! Get ready people :D

2 minutes ago, MrDeAD1313 said:

I wanna just say real quick that I've been in contact with these fine mappers for the entire mapping process and have played a small bit of this already. I'm a huge fan of vanilla styled wads, and while I'm not really one to play test any maps, I can confirm that this is going to be fan-friggin-tastic! Get ready people :D

<3

He was paid to say that.

13 minutes ago, FrancisT18 said:

Are difficulty settings implemented? I usually just turn down to HMP if UV is too much.

It says so in the initial post. I am strictly hurt me plenty type of player myself.

Edited by Korozive

Just now, FrancisT18 said:

@Miss BubblesWas he really paid, or awaiting? Sounds like some kind of joke :P Though I hope it IS fantastic of course lol.

Haha it's just a joke lol. He genuinely loves what we've shown him so far.

Just to 100% confirm, this is a ZDoom compatible megawad, right? Presumably v2.8.1 and newer GZDoom releases?

Just now, Bauul said:

Just to 100% confirm, this is a ZDoom compatible megawad, right? Presumably v2.8.1 and newer GZDoom releases?

We're not entirely sure which source ports it may or may not be compatible with but it is compatible with the latest version of ZDoom for sure! :)

Oh cool, it's out! What timing. Literally only discovered the thread 2 hours ago haha. I will play it.

Apropos of nothing, but I love that a couple worked on this together. Is that a first? I think there's just something really heartwarming about it.

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Oh cool, it's out! What timing. Literally only discovered the thread 2 hours ago haha. I will play it.

Apropos of nothing, but I love that a couple worked on this together. Is that a first? I think there's just something really heartwarming about it.

Off the top of my head, David and Kathy Bruni were making maps together back in 1994, but they weren't working anywhere near this scale.

Just from the first map I know I'm going to love this; you've perfectly nailed the Knee Deep In The Dead atmosphere!

If jumping and crouching are not intended, I recommend disabling them in ports that allow it! That way, whether the player uses a new or old port, the intended gameplay feel is kept.

1 minute ago, Kroc said:

Just from the first map I know I'm going to love this; you've perfectly nailed the Knee Deep In The Dead atmosphere!

If jumping and crouching are not intended, I recommend disabling them in ports that allow it! That way, whether the player uses a new or old port, the intended gameplay feel is kept.

Aw thanks!

Oh yeah, jumping and crouching aren't intended. Play it as if you would play vanilla Doom!

Add "NoJump" properties to your MAPINFO (https://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO/Map_definition) and they'll be automatically disabled in ZDoom-based ports.

Edit: Also, the custom map names and texts could be supplied with a DEH patch, allowing for better support for vanilla engines, such as Crispy-Doom & Doom-Retro. It would be great if this megawad could be played on non-ZDoom ports as vanilla engines are available on far more platforms than ZDoom (e.g. PSP in my case)

This is really impressive, especially coming from two (i think) unknowns. The classic style is spot on! Great work guys.

3 minutes ago, Pavera said:

This is really impressive, especially coming from two (i think) unknowns. The classic style is spot on! Great work guys.

Thanks! Glad to hear you think so, we tried our best to get the look and feel of the original Doom down.

They're not quite unknowns, this megawad actually has origins as far as I can tell from two smaller classic style projects: Birthing Pools ( @Miss Bubbles) and Distorted Memories ( @Count651 ). As far as I can tell though that's all they've made prior.

Prior collab megawads for UD - 2002ADO, DTWID (+LE), and NEIS come to mind.

Edited by FrancisT18

I'm gonna leave my video of my stream for the first episode soon. Aside of some derp moments from a specific map, I had a blast.

On 23. desember 2018 at 11:21 AM, Miss Bubbles said:

Each level is compatible with co-op

Sweet music to my ear! I've been playing coop tonight together With @Andy Johnsen up to E2M5, and o'boy what a pleasant surprise - we'll definitely finish the rest during the next week! So far Episode 2 holds up to a very strong episode one! Who needs Romero's Sigil when you guys have put this gem together?! Every doomer should immediately seize this fantastic Christmas present!

Edited by Martin

19 minutes ago, Martin said:

Sweet music to my ear! I've been playing coop tonight together With @Andy Johnsen up to E2M5, and o'boy what a pleasant surprise - we'll definitely finish the rest during the next week! So far Episode 2 holds up to a very strong episode one! Who needs Romero's Sigil when you guys have put this gem together?! Every doomer should immediately size this fantastic Christmas present!

Haha wow that's high praise! Thanks :)

Glad you're enjoying it in co-op with your friend! We had a blast co-oping through it too!

3 hours ago, Miss Bubbles said:

Haha wow that's high praise! Thanks :)

As an added bonus, Martin and Andy are best known for Alien Vendetta, so you're getting praise from the guys behind one of the most celebrated Doom wads of all time.

23 minutes ago, Xaser said:

As an added bonus, Martin and Andy are best known for Alien Vendetta, so you're getting praise from the guys behind one of the most celebrated Doom wads of all time.

Awesome! I didn't know that!