Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Why I hate the term "mapper".

Mapping takes much effort, even if you might come up with ideas, I have much in common which makes it sometimes simple, even if mappers or designers hate the term mapper then sometimes people like it, it may be the thing, which is already the thing since im already developing heretic maps too

I prefer level designer myself as I think it's more fitting. Mapper sounds more like a term for somebody into cartography.

I agree, but am guilty of using the term. It's easier to use, rolls off the tongue; maybe we can call it a colloquialism or slang.

Level Design is a more professional sounding term and should be used when releasing projects or on a resume if that's a thing.

I should stop using that term, I have a feeling I pissed off quite a few people unintentionally but I can't. Level designer is kinda mouthful.

My first go with making custom maps was exactly that, making maps in Halo 3's forge mode, nothing ever gained a huge following though some people played customs on my maps made in H5 Guardians only one ever had a player base as it was for multi only, so I always saw mapper as the proper term since before I ever heard of Doom Builder.
That said, I can see the OP's point, but I will probably still use the term even for myself as that's been what I've known it as for years.

6 minutes ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

Huh? The term "mapper" is derogatory now? When did this happen? I always just thought "mapper" and "level designer" were just synonymous, and I can't understand how anyone could possibly take that as an insult. 

There's a reason I wrote the first post from a personal perspective, since I realize that this is not something that everyone is likely to agree with me on. So, no the term isn't derogatory all of a sudden. It is derogatory from my perspective. Do with that as you will.

As for your second point, can't you understand or won't you understand? I did explain my position in the post. As I said I don't expect everyone to agree with me, because I can understand that not everyone has the same perspective on the matter as I do and I do get where people who use the term "mapper" are coming from. Where as I who cringe everytime I see it used felt I wanted to discuss the matter. I get the feeling you got triggered by the post I made, which is a large part why it took me quite a few years before I even bothered to make it in the first place. But is the fact that I hate the use of a word something that should affect you personally?

5 minutes ago, SOSU said:

Mapper is shorter so it's more popular :)
While the term level designer is more correct since there is more to designing levels than just layout i preffer mapper because it sounds funnier xD

I get that, language has a tendency to get truncated in casual conversation, but I feel that something gets lost at times there in that translation. So when that starts to affect the way people talk in a more official capacity I get a bit of concern growing in the back of my mind. And I don't see people using the term level designer in official capacity anywhere. But instead opt for using the more colloquial term mapper. And I hate that. 

2 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

I should stop using that term, I have a feeling I pissed off quite a few people unintentionally but I can't. Level designer is kinda mouthful.

I would certainly appreciate that, though I don't think most people got a much of a pet peeve with it as I do. So as far as your concern of offending quite a few people goes, I doubt it. But regardless. I think mapper is diminishing the work people do, and by using the more proper term level designer I'd like to elevate the kind of work that goes into developing a map for a game like Doom.

Short answer: I don't mind or care.

Long answer: Yes it sounds correct for level designer but....why the hate for a term that seems easier to recognize? It seems so trivial at this point of time...I mean, I can deal with the term and whistle like nothing happened. It's just overthinking.

It sounds like OP is putting additional meaning on "mapper" that the rest of us aren't. To me it's just a synonym with "level designer", no better and no worse. "Level designer" is probably the more correct term and "mapper" is more colloquial, but given all of this a casual hobby then it doesn't really matter which you use IMO. 

If I'm talking to people who don't know about Doom mapping I use the term "level designer" because that is the more official term and is easier to understand to the uninitiated. But "mapper" is easier and quicker to write for us in the community and everyone understands what it means.

To me it doesn't have any special connotations or different meaning to "level designer". OP saying "Mapping to me is just mindlessly recreating a layout, or slapping stuff together without any thought of design or purpose." just isn't an association I have. I'd define "mapper" as "Slang: Colloquial term for level designer".

Put "level designer" on a CV or resume, not "mapper".

That's... really all I can think of that distinguishes the two.

Well, to a degree yes.

I used to work as a mechanic many years ago now. I was proud of the work I did. I could make things work again. But it was menial work. I just made the things into what they once were. An engineer designed and constructed those things I worked to get back into working order before me. It's a matter of different levels. When I started out making maps. I certainly were mostly just slapping stuff together, looking at what would work. 

I've always thought of "mapper" as Doom community slang -- in general game-design circles, the term used is indeed "level designer".

Is there anywhere else "mapper" sees use? Quake/Build communities, maybe? Or is it strictly a local colloquial?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mapper

mapper (plural mappers)

1. One who produces a map.
  2. (video games) A designer of levels for video games.
  3. (computing, electronics) A software or hardware component that performs a mapping.

So it seems fine to me. I understand it can seem reductive, but it's not, and people as far as I know do not use it with the intent of reducing the level design merit of those they qualify thus.

3 minutes ago, Revenant100 said:

I prefer the most accurate term "linedeffer".

I prefer "vertexer" myself.

This was something that was bugging me when I came back, but eventually just let it go as I became guilty of it myself.   I definitely see where @kristus are coming from on this though.

24 minutes ago, Xaser said:

I've always thought of "mapper" as Doom community slang -- in general game-design circles, the term used is indeed "level designer".

Is there anywhere else "mapper" sees use? Quake/Build communities, maybe? Or is it strictly a local colloquial?

I think the Source community (hl1/2 TF2 etc) uses mapper as well. Not sure if its confined to Idtech derived games and engines or not though, maybe its more a retro game dev in general term

Also, to be fair, Doom levels are explicitly labeled "maps". So it makes sense for someone who makes doom maps at the very least to be called a "map designer" or "mapper" for short

11 minutes ago, therektafire said:

I think the Source community (hl1/2 TF2 etc) uses mapper as well.

You've just thrown a GoldSrc game there.

They usually refer to what they're doing as "mapping" (probably like everyone else?), but always as "level designers" to themselves judging by what I've seen over the years.

I agree with most of this. However, "developer" is more appropriate than "designer" in regard to encompassing the entire level creation process. If you really wanted to split hairs, that is. And, yes, there's a difference. 

This is pretty close to what is art and what isn't.. Just write whatever term you want in your wad's credit section. People will use mapper online because it is the shorter word.

15 minutes ago, Job said:

I agree with most of this. However, "developer" is more appropriate than "designer" in regard to encompassing the entire level creation process. If you really wanted to split hairs, that is. And, yes, there's a difference. 

I agree and disagree. Developer is a perfect umbrella term that encompass anyone working on anything. But as with most umbrella terms go, they are very unspecific and ultimately useless at expressing roles.

1 hour ago, kristus said:

As for your second point, can't you understand or won't you understand? I did explain my position in the post. As I said I don't expect everyone to agree with me, because I can understand that not everyone has the same perspective on the matter as I do and I do get where people who use the term "mapper" are coming from. Where as I who cringe everytime I see it used felt I wanted to discuss the matter. I get the feeling you got triggered by the post I made, which is a large part why it took me quite a few years before I even bothered to make it in the first place. But is the fact that I hate the use of a word something that should affect you personally?

It doesn't affect me personally at all, and I'd say I'm just confused far more than "triggered." It's just a bit bizarre to me, as I've always understood the terms to have the exact same meaning. "Level designer" is certainly more formal- what you would "put on your resume," as Jimmy put it- but I've personally never seen that term used in a derogatory manner before now. Like, have there been instances where you've actually seen someone use the term "mapper" to put someone else down for their lack of skills? Still, I'll keep the thread in mind and go along with it from now on even if I don't exactly understand it. 

I'm perfectly happy being a mapper. It's a term of endearment, not derogatory. I don't see the problem.