Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

1 hour ago, Agent6 said:

You're kidding me right now, aren't you? That's exactly what I wrote.

No, different punctuation. What you wrote can be understood as saying the opposite of what you meant, which can perhaps be made clearer by changing the order of the clauses:

"The outdated SDL in 2.5.1.4. causes erratic mouse movement, unless you're on W10."

Using a colon makes the subordinate clause more explicitly a consequence of the primary clause. Or you could have used "then" or "in which case" to articulate between both.

"Unless you're on W10, in which case the outdated SDL in 2.5.1.4. causes erratic mouse movement."

Communication is hard!

17 minutes ago, Gez said:

No, different punctuation. What you wrote can be understood as saying the opposite of what you meant, which can perhaps be made clearer by changing the order of the clauses:

"The outdated SDL in 2.5.1.4. causes erratic mouse movement, unless you're on W10."

Using a colon makes the subordinate clause more explicitly a consequence of the primary clause. Or you could have used "then" or "in which case" to articulate between both.

"Unless you're on W10, in which case the outdated SDL in 2.5.1.4. causes erratic mouse movement."

Communication is hard!

Be that as it may, but considering the original post I replied to I think I was pretty clear. Or it sounded fine to me at least, and still does.

4 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Be that as it may, but considering the original post I replied to I think I was pretty clear. Or it sounded fine to me at least, and still does.

Communication doesn't involve just yourself so "it reads fine to me" doesn't really work when you aren't the person who is supposed to be reading it.

In short, learn to comma. Gez outlines the mistake pretty well. 

16 hours ago, PaquoCastor said:

I'm very comfortable with command consoles;

I cut my teeth

with Quake 3.

Finally, another fellow Quaker in the wild!  

Why aren't you editing the config directly? If the menus aren't your thing then it's the way to go.

24 minutes ago, loveless said:

Finally, another fellow Quaker in the wild!  

Why aren't you editing the config directly? If the menus aren't your thing then it's the way to go.

I do do that. But console configuration allows for quick edits in game. Also I do use menus; more than I should even. I'm using vim on windows here while using approximately zero of it's power. I never said I was efficient.

By the way, I play and enjoy most of id's early (pre RPG) oeuvre. Still can't complete their early platformers of Haunted Mansion and Shadow Knights

If I'm playing the original IWAD levels I like to use Crispy Doom for psuedo-nostalgia. I just use GZDoom for everything else these days. No fuss.

So, my roster as it stands right now:

Crispy Doom - Vanilla and limit removing vanilla maps, fun extras like proper colored blood and brightmaps to spice things up a little, and the personally ever-so-handy monster/items/secrets stats in the automap. Otherwise identical behavior to the original engine and quirks. Auto aim on, mouse look off. Capped 35 FPS.

Eternity - Boom-compatible maps, I wanted something similar to PrBoom+ but with some novel extras, and I really like the Quake style particle effects and modern HUD (with level stats displayed no less). It also has the advantage of maps designed with Eternity in mind. A port I slept on in the past. Faithful vanilla behavior and quirks. Auto aim on, mouse look off. Capped 35 FPS.

Doomsday - Vanilla and limit removing vanilla maps, but with OpenGL hardware acceleration, disabling the bilinear filtering on everything to preserve the pixels, but keeping all the eye candy on (like glowmaps, ambient occlusion, bloom, light halos, colored lighting from skies etc.). Mostly accurate vanilla behavior. Auto aim on, mouse look off. 60 FPS.

GZDoom - Anything I want to play for the most part, and however I wish it to look, but primarily with modding in mind and whatever I can't do or can't do easily in the other ports. No limitations, but not accurate vanilla behavior and I accept it for that, since it's the most versatile modding platform there is to make up for it. Auto aim off, mouse look on, 60 FPS.

These ports feel like they give me what I want for my tailored Doom experiences. As much as I want Doom Retro to fill the gap for everything shy of hardware acceleration and DECORATE, I feel it needs more time in the oven. Even then it's very much its own beast still. But a very promising port nonetheless!

Skulltag and zandronum the only reason why I like skulltag because all of the very cool wads an the game mode invasion.

Plus I like zandronum because of the mod complex doom cf

I like Crispy Doom because it provides purist gameplay and at the same time higher resolution and map stats. I wish it had support for the other Doom engine games though.

EDIT: I also used to play ZDaemon a lot back in the day when there were people playing Deathmatch.

Spoiler

My votes: GZDoom, PrBoom+.

Current tally:

1. GZDoom/QZDoom [62: Anidrex_1009, Caffeine Freak, YukiRaven, Apaul27, Lila Feuer, Rosh Fragger, HAK3180, ZeroTheEro, Ajora, Aquila Chrysaetos, MFG38, Cacodemon345, Gez, Catpho, Zulk RS, Zaratul, DaIcemann76, SGS Man,  Erick, tempdecal.wad, InsanityBringer, DMPhobos, Killer5, SP_FACE1, KVELLER, Yuki Senmatsu, Bridgeburner56, Fulgrim, amackert, Woolie Wool, Lizardcommando, Bauul, Hell Theatre, EngineerKappa, The_SloVinator, SOSU, riderr3, obake, Ye_Illuminator, Manuel-K, MTF Sergeant, Equinox24, CasualScrub, whirledtsar, CyberDreams, VGA, NerdyButLazy, DoomGater, EtherBot, Firedust, guitardz, wolfmcbeard, Doom_Dude, LuciferSam86, Gerardo194, Gunstar Green, m8f, ReaperAA, xxWeNxx, Avoozl, Spectre01, antares031]
2. PrBoom+/GLBoom+ [40: Caffeine Freak, mun, GhoulDesecrator, seed, Diabolución, Aquila Chrysaetos, Zahid, Fonze, Cacodemon345, Catpho, bonnie,  Erick, DeadAstronaut, InsanityBringer, DMPhobos, rehelekretep, Killer5, KVELLER, galileo31dos01, amackert, loveless, Bauul, The_SloVinator, riderr3, jerk-o, Equinox24, Kroc, CyberDreams, valkiriforce, NerdyButLazy, DoomGater, guitardz, wolfmcbeard, m8f, Kira, ReaperAA, Avoozl, Memfis, Spectre01, antares031]
3. Zandronum [24: Doomkid, Teder, Cacodemon345, Catpho, Zulk RS, DaIcemann76, SGS Man, Empyre,  Erick, Lorenz0, tempdecal.wad, Killer5, SP_FACE1, Lizardcommando, 𝕲𝖗𝖎𝖒𝖔𝖘𝖆𝖚𝖗, Ye_Illuminator, AlexMax, Manuel-K, MTF Sergeant, EtherBot, LuciferSam86, haruko haruhara, Avoozl, Spectre01]
4. ZDoom [18: Delete, Caffeine Freak, mun, Urthar, DaIcemann76, DeadAstronaut, amackert, Lizardcommando, joshthenesnerd, Equinox24, CasualScrub, valkiriforce, Phoby, DoomGater, Firedust, Gerardo194, Count651, pcorf]
5. Chocolate Doom [17: mun, YukiRaven, GhoulDesecrator, seed, Diabolución, Catpho,  Erick, InsanityBringer, DMPhobos, Bauul, EngineerKappa, zokum, The_SloVinator, joshthenesnerd, vesperas, CyberDreams, Firedust]
6. Crispy Doom [16: mun, Lila Feuer, HAK3180, Killer5, galileo31dos01, Woolie Wool, The Mysterious Moustachio, Bauul, The_SloVinator, AlexMax, CyberDreams, NerdyButLazy, LuciferSam86, Gunstar Green, UNERXAi, holaareola]
7. The Eternity Engine [14: Jon, Edward850, Lila Feuer, seed, Gez, Catpho, SGS Man, InsanityBringer, zokum, Rimantas, PaquoCastor, StoneMason, ReaperAA, Altazimuth]
8. ZDaemon [9: Doomkid, Rosh Fragger, Catpho, DaIcemann76, tempdecal.wad, Medis, Memfis, antares031, tourettes]
9. Doomsday Engine [6: Caffeine Freak, YukiRaven, Lila Feuer, Bauul, Ye_Illuminator, DoomGater]
10. Doom Retro [5: Gez, Manuel-K, Kroc, VGA, valkiriforce]
10. Skulltag [5: Yuki Senmatsu, Lizardcommando, Ye_Illuminator, haruko haruhara, geo]
12. Odamex [4: Doomkid, Diabolución, Ralphis, Hypпotiк]
13. Doom Legacy [3: Bauul, riderr3, DoomGater]
14. 3DGE [2: Gez, Catpho]
14. DelphiDoom [2: YukiRaven, Gez]
14. Doom95 [2: Josuke, Gerardo194]
17. Boom [1: GhoulDesecrator]
17. Classic RBDoom 3 BFG Edition [1: MadGuy]
17. Doom + [1: Woolie Wool]
17. Doom2.exe [1: zokum]
17. Risen3D [1: Catpho]
17. ScoreDoom [1: yakfak]

Source Ports: 22
Voters: 110

Edited by m8f : reformat

PrBoom+ all the way for me, I'm way too used to it at this point. Others tend to be there for port exclusive wads.

1 hour ago, StoneMason said:

I've been finding myself almost exclusively using Eternity nowadays. Very underrated source port, IMO.

And it's only going to get better, the addition of complevels and support for Heretic/Hexen will be a pretty big deal.

2 hours ago, seed said:

[Eternity Engine] support for Heretic/Hexen

While EE aims to be able to play Heretic/Hexen, I don't think it will have vanilla demo support for these games.

12 minutes ago, Mordeth said:

While EE aims to be able to play Heretic/Hexen, I don't think it will have vanilla demo support for these games.

It's enough for me, wasn't interested in demo support anyway.

The tally has been updated.

Doomkid, you're welcome. I maintain two similar tallies, why not the third? Also, I learn a lot while doing this, which is nice.

Voters! The voting is rather free-form, in the unlikely case that I processed some of the points incorrectly, please let me know.

How is my vote for Chocolate Doom?  :D

I use GZDoom and Doom Retro!

On 10/16/2018 at 10:48 PM, VGA said:

Chocoom is definitely good for testing stuff. It's what happens when someone takes the meaning of "source port" literally.

This was misinterpreted. It's fixed now.

1 hour ago, Rimantas said:

Thanks for tally, BUT my last and final vote was for Eternity.

It's fixed too.

Though I am admittedly curious is there any worthwhile ports to pursue that aren't updated anymore? This sorta thing fascinates me, even if I don't end up actually playing with them. Been a bit of a tinkerer lately.