Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egg Boy

PRBoom-plus Performance Issues

Hey, I was curious if there was a way to run PRBoom-plus in all it's software mode glory without getting significant frame drops in maps like Sunlust map 28. GLBoom runs great, but looks worse and has many problems such as sfx not working without music being on, etc.

Just now, Egg Boy said:

it's set to my computer's default which is 1920 x 1080

There's the obvious problem. The Software render is way too slow for high resolutions, so either set it to 1366x768 (or lower) or use the GL render.

15 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

has many problems such as sfx not working without music being on

this actually isn't glboom+'s fault (or even a problem exclusive to glboom+), it's the midi player you're using. check "preferred midi player" at the bottom of the 1st general options page and try changing it if it's on SDL. I personally use portmidi, it gives the same midi playback but without the weird music-sfx linking.

6 hours ago, -TDRR- said:

There's the obvious problem. The Software render is way too slow for high resolutions, so either set it to 1366x768 (or lower) or use the GL render.

It runs great at 1280x720, thanks for the help!

22 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

GLBoom runs great, but looks worse

Two questions: which version are you using (the current version is recommended unless you have problems with SDL2), and do you just mean "not pixelated"? If so, then you can turn off filtering and have it fully pixelated:

Options -> General -> (8th page, i.e. the last one) -> set the first three filter modes to "NONE"

Generally speaking, I think all GL ports allow you to turn filtering off. It tends to be on by default presumably because once the programmers had gone to the effort of implementing GL support, they wanted to show off what it can do.

9 hours ago, -TDRR- said:

The Software render is way too slow for high resolutions

Actually, it works pretty well for me at 3840x2160. :) </smugryzenthreadripperuser>

52 minutes ago, Grazza said:

Two questions: which version are you using (the current version is recommended unless you have problems with SDL2), and do you just mean "not pixelated"? If so, then you can turn off filtering and have it fully pixelated:

Options -> General -> (8th page, i.e. the last one) -> set the first three filter modes to "NONE"

Generally speaking, I think all GL ports allow you to turn filtering off. It tends to be on by default presumably because once the programmers had gone to the effort of implementing GL support, they wanted to show off what it can do.

Actually, it works pretty well for me at 3840x2160. :) </smugryzenthreadripperuser>

Alrighty, to answer you first question, I am using the current version. And I think this is preferential, but I just prefer the way software looks, GL looks kind of flat.

Also my processor is an i5 6600k, which I understand isn't top of the line or anything, but it's still a bit strange that I have trouble with Sunlust's map 28, and other heavily detailed Doom maps. I'm not tech savvy when it comes to source ports and the like, so I'm sorry if I seem ignorant.

19 minutes ago, Egg Boy said:

Alrighty, to answer you first question, I am using the current version. And I think this is preferential, but I just prefer the way software looks, GL looks kind of flat.

Also my processor is an i5 6600k, which I understand isn't top of the line or anything, but it's still a bit strange that I have trouble with Sunlust's map 28, and other heavily detailed Doom maps. I'm not tech savvy when it comes to source ports and the like, so I'm sorry if I seem ignorant.

Are you still having these problems even at the lower resolution? I have an i5-4310M and can run Nuts without any stutters.

Yeah, it's kind of strange, I feel like I should be able to do software mode, but I guess I can live with GLBoom, at least it plays the same. Interestingly, changing my midi to fluidsynth, which is what I used on PRBoom anyway fixed all my non visual problems. For example, it doesn't flip out when I alt-tab anymore, also I can have sfx without music, so I can play while I listen to podcasts, streams, etc.