Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dmslr

[Poll] Do you still play wads with brutal doom?

Title  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Title

• Yes, often
    • Yes, from time to time
    • No, I've had enough of BD
    • No, I've never played with it

22 minutes ago, dmslr said:

I wonder if BD is still popular

It's popular on Reddit and YouTube, not so much on Doomworld.

7 minutes ago, guitardz said:

that explains A LOT

anyway i had enough of this "i'm invincible!" crap so i stopped playing it months ago

11 minutes ago, guitardz said:

I've just got a clear picture of Doomworld and it's cool

I'm a big BD player as I love the head shot kills, the gore and the weapons. It does make most wads more difficult when hitscanners are involved though. Overall I find the kills far more satisfy.

Disregarding the popular notice it got I never saw Brutal Doom as particularly more special than any other gameplay mod I tried, and like the rest of them it was something of a half-hour novelty that I booted up to see what it did and get an example of the sort of things port features could do, and then pretty much never bothered with again.

2 minutes ago, Chezza said:

I'm a big BD player as I love the head shot kills, the gore and the weapons. It does make most wads more difficult when hitscanners are involved though. Overall I find the kills far more satisfy.

just saying but if you liked the horror shooter style from doom 3 you should try bd black edition

there really should have been an option for "yes, but very rarely".

i use it every once in a blue moon on wads that i'm interested in, but not too interested in. it's a great changeup for wads that i otherwise wouldn't even bother trying.

6 minutes ago, bonnie said:

this...

I will admit BD brought my attention back to doom and then mapping, so I thank it for that. The novelty wore off and now I rarely play with it.

26 minutes ago, bonnie said:

i use it every once in a blue moon on wads that i'm interested in, but not too interested in. it's a great changeup for wads that i otherwise wouldn't even bother trying.

I thought you dislike zdoom based ports so much, but you even play brutal doom sometimes. Weird. 

Besides that, I used to play brutal doom a lot during my teenage years, but one day I decided that I need break and seems I don't miss it. 

48 minutes ago, Misty said:

I thought you dislike zdoom based ports so much, but you even play brutal doom sometimes. Weird. 

Not weird at all considering that almost every single time I mention how much I hate zdoom ports, I specifically mention that they're fine for advanced mods and multiplayer, but terrible for vanilla play.

I played it just once, to take a few screenshots back when it won a Cacoward for v13. I didn't enjoy it and so haven't used it since. I think that counts as "never" for this poll.

I think Brutal Doom is a really impressive mod but I'm in the same boat as ETTiNGRiNDER, basically all gameplay mods are just a half-hour novelty here and there for me personally. If I see it hosted on a server alongside a mapset I enjoy there's a good chance I'll hop in but I only play co-op once every few months or so.

Author drama and popularity aside, I thought it was cool the first time but it really now it feels like an average gore mod that only has executions really going for it in terms of originality. Plus, the player sounds and taunts are super obnoxious. If I want the gore I'll just use Nashgore, if I want fancier effects, animations and what not I'll use Smooth Doom, and if I want the harder gameplay there's a ton of mods that do it better. 

I've never played BD with any custom wads. I've only played it with vanilla Doom levels and whatever was made specifically for it, but I no longer have any interest in the mod. The executions and excessive gore get boring quickly, the taunts and player sounds are incredibly obnoxious too. I eventually came to the conclusion there's other mods and wads that fill my needs and are also more entertaining.

Na. Once I decided to get better at the game and also discovered mods like complex doom I have never once felt the need to go back to playing brutal doom.

I do play BD but mostly just for Extermination day (Because I really like Eday and it works best with BD).

I like the headshot system tho.

I felt Brutal Doom accomplished what it set out to do: be incredibly over the top.  This made for an experience I didn't really enjoy especially with how hitscan monsters would melt damn near anything in their path.  I did enjoy the feeling of Doom kind of being an action B-movie experience but the novelty wore off.  

I can see exactly why people love it so much but I don't like it for exactly that same reason.  It does what it does well, even if it's a bit on the nose.

I went through a phase of playing Brutal Doom and its spin-off Project Brutality quite a lot a couple of years ago, but play with it only rarely these days (though I wouldn't rule out the possibility that I might get back into it in the future - sometimes with these things the novelty wears off, but then after a period of absence I feel like giving it another go).  I think it's a very good gameplay mod, but as with a lot of popular things it generates some over-the-top polarised reactions.

Playing sometimes, with more or less new wads, extermination day and more, is my third favorite gameplay wad for Doom, Playing rigth now with A.L.T is Nuts for the change of enemys, but is a welcome the changes that we can tweak from V21 to have more o less a balanced gameplay. 

Good question. The only WAD I still play BD with is the Starter Pack. It was made for it, after all. Playing anything else with BD is anathema to me.

It got me back into Doom when I finally found it but I soon realised I enjoyed vanilla gameplay more so no, I don't play it anymore

I prefer Brutal Doom / Normal (Rifle Start) / Normal Realism Mode over Vanilla Doom. This is more than a visual gore fest, it completely changes the dynamics of the game. If you just run into a room guns blasting, you're dead. You have to take you're time and plan ahead. It's brings a more tactical feel.

Brutal Doom just strikes me as Doom for people who like the idea of Doom, but don't really like Doom itself. I used to occasionally play it, but never on a regular basis--there were no maps where it really felt nice to play. Come to think of it, I don't even play my own weapon mods anymore, not even Modes of Destruction which was my last and best, and was partially designed as a more balanced, software-friendly, less over the top (I used Nashgore as a base for the gore) alternative to Brutal Doom.

Has anyone tracked how Doom 4 has affected the popularity of Brutal Doom? Doom 4 struck me the moment I first played it as being much, much better at being Brutal Doom than Brutal Doom.

I thought Brutal Doom was okay when I played it, but after I finished Doom 1 and played a little bit of Doom 2 with it I generally lost interest in the mod. It just gets stale after awhile.

Oh yeah, and if the rumors surrounding the author of the mod are true, then he's kind of a jerk.