Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Mick Gordon wants to gather a heavy metal screamer choir. For a video game...

If I had money and could scream half-decently, this'd be way too good an opportunity to pass up.

Out of curiosity, is anyone able to identify any nuances in the background music for this video? A very Mick Gordon thing to do would be to sneak in an upcoming track from Doom Eternal which subtly references a classic Bobby Prince track - unless NDAs are a thing, I guess.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Out of curiosity, is anyone able to identify any nuances in the background music for this video? A very Mick Gordon thing to do would be to sneak in an upcoming track from Doom Eternal which subtly references a classic Bobby Prince track - unless NDAs are a thing, I guess.

I thought it sounded a Doom 2-ish ambiental track for quiet moments.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Sounds like it's a loop rendition of Demon's dead intro.

The recording session is based in Texas.

id Software is based in Texas.

This can't be a coincidence. Mick is Australian.

I'd love to have a crack at this. It has to be DOOM Eternal. Anyone here gonna sign up?

This sounds really cool and it's great they are compensating artists. From what I have seen of Mick, he wouldn't have it any other way. Unfortunately for me, I am more of an amatuer growler rather than a screamer...

Spoiler

I wish there was more variety in the music. There is already plenty of metal and ambiental stuff in Doom 2016 but some Black Metal or even Power Metal would be welcome.

Could also be for Rage 2, although metal seems to fit better for Doom than for Rage 2 (I'd expect punk music there).

2 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

I wish there was more variety in the music. There is already plenty of metal and ambiental stuff in Doom 2016 but some Black Metal or even Power Metal would be welcome.

Personally I'd love some good ol' thrash but that's just me I reckon.

Holly shit this is going to be so awesome.

PNd.gif

cant wait to find out what he have exactly in mind with this in doom. This is going to be EPIC!

An excellent example of a developer keeping in touch with their consumers; Mick Gordon.

22 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

I remember seeing someone saying that they wish for a black metal Doom around here, somewhere. Honestly, given the heavy action oriented direction of the new Doom games it'd be quite difficult to get anything out of such a soundtrack given how black metal typically sounds like. Maybe for boss battle intros to have some ominous-sounding bm, or something similar to Bathory or Total Soul Rape era Craft, but that's as much as I can picture. And black/thrash or old school black metal at best, in the vein of the first wave or early second wave... Thrash and heavy would be much better candidates, hell maybe even death or death/doom metal.

@Immorpher I like what I'm hearing.

12 hours ago, Agent6 said:

@Immorpher I like what I'm hearing.

Glad you like it! Unfortunately I have taken a bit of a hiatus from metal since my newer guitar isn't producing the tone I want. But a few friends suggested the pick ups could be improved and gave me some suggestions. Once I get some extra money I will try them out and hopefully get back into it! 

I sure hope a screaming chorus doesn't end up being a bad idea, then it gets dropped and then we have this hype over it while it's nowhere to be found in the game.

Can we speculate on development progress of the game based on this and make an estimation of a release window?

2 hours ago, Hofmann said:

Can we speculate on development progress of the game based on this and make an estimation of a release window?

Well, we don’t know how many songs he’s made, and how many he still needs to make, especially when he’s just now hiring for this (He might only need the choir for one song, but it could easily be more). Besides, is it even possible to speculate progress on the actual game development when it’s sort of completely separate from music development?

Regardless, I’m still shooting for Q4 2019 at the absolute earliest, but the game seemed very polished at QuakeCon, so I can’t say with certainty.

On 1/5/2019 at 3:50 PM, Immorpher said:

This sounds really cool and it's great they are compensating artists. From what I have seen of Mick, he wouldn't have it any other way. Unfortunately for me, I am more of an amatuer growler rather than a screamer...

That actually made my throat hurt. You should apply either way!