Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Hellfire: Dreams

Happy New Year! Thank you to all of those who participated in 2018, newcomers and stalwarts alike. My commitment has wavered at points but seeing all that enthusiasm always pulls me back. Thanks also to NaZa for picking up the slack and doing some cool write-ups.

Please note that category 3 qualification has changed. Now, in addition to the existing criteria, watching runs of the WAD selected results in your run becoming "prepared" regardless of whether those runs/streams are Ironman related or not. Streamers, this means that you may wish to wait until nearer the end of the month for the convenience of audience members who wish to retain Cat 1/2 status, but it's entirely your call.

I realize that I wrote painfully long paragraphs explaining why I was going to do explicitly the opposite of this, a couple of months ago, but now I'm going to hold you in suspense with one hand while I crush my own credibility in the other.

Have fun!

Edited by Alfonzo : freudian slip

great pick :3 i feel like anyone doing a category one here should bring a compass and ordnance&survey map though

OK, lemebe first this year.

Cat one, lost myself and meaning of life in the first third of MAP05 (in Prison, huh).

This WAD really wants Build Engine as codebase. Doom is a way more about abstraction than "reality" at my taste (Doom the Way 3D Realms Di... no, Doom the Way Monolid Did, lol).

dwihfd.zip

6 hours ago, Alfonzo said:

In ZDoom derivative ports, "Doom/Boom(strict)" will suffice.

It might be an artifact of me having just woken up, but I looked at this and got confused at first, having not looked at the command line (which explicitly says -complevel 9).

It's a minor error, really, but it might be worth fixing for the sake of absolute clarity.

My participation in these events might be sporadic at best from here (partly because I feel that a few people are taking it way too seriously for my liking), but I'll be keeping my eyes on it, all the same.

5 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

It might be an artifact of me having just woken up, but I looked at this and got confused at first, having not looked at the command line (which explicitly says -complevel 9).

It's a minor error, really, but it might be worth fixing for the sake of absolute clarity.

I think that's a general ruleset for any WAD - for this one, above the command line it clearly states Boom (strict)

5 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

a few people are taking it way too seriously for my liking

Oof. :c

DEAD: MAP06 (infinitely tall Baron)

CATEGORY: 1

DEATH (scale of bullshit): 11/10

doom00.png.566c00e93b91ea2f23fba366bee75195.png

"It was only about time I get to be the dangerous enemy again." ~ Baron Le Sewer

If you spend half an hour on a map, it's bound to get real if you rush things. This baron was below the ledge so I couldn't see him, but he could hit me very hard. With 40 HP after getting hit by that baron, I decided going down would be good. So I braced myself for the short fall, but I got scratched. I moved a bit to dodge the second scratch as I'd surely die, and I got scratched again and died to infinite tall BARON, out of all things. The map itself wasn't really difficult, but it was elongated way too much. 

The WAD in itself was one of the least enjoyable I had played. Sure, it's difficult, and looks pretty awesome and realistic, but the gameplay is just meh. 64 wide corridors and hell knights. Teleporting into crossfire of hitscan. I didn't mind the progression itself, it was mostly logical in the first five maps. Six was a bit obtuse but it was alright...

I could have survived this map! Ah, could've. I should've, then!

dwironman_jan19_naza.zip

I've managed to survive the wad with final time being 2:49:47. This is a category 3 submission. Demo is slow as hell though.

DEAD: Map02 (cat 1; blind)

prboom-plus.exe -file .\hfd.wad -complevel 9 -nomusic -skill 4 -record noisy_hfd_ironman.lmp

from what little i saw, this is a great ironman pick to throw in the mix, imo: 

hyper tight on resources and space.  I almost died on map01, which was kinda a terrifying level.  I also haven't played doom in a month so maybe i'm just in a surprised shock for throwing myself into it after a small break, but yah, this was a good short thrill.

And map 6 claims another marine.  Kinda hard to guess what to do when I have like 34 health, no rad suits for miles, and sewage I have to truck through.  My choice brought me into the loving hands of an imp death squad.

Interesting mapset I have to say.  Still clamoring for the day Hell Revealed 1, 2, or Alien Vendetta get to be on the forefront for a good 'ol ironman hoedown!

DWIronman_HellfireDreams_AnimaZero.zip

I'll post here so there's more possible interest - Myself and the other two britbowlers are opening up the doors for a couple more British-born players to join in.

As long as you're British by birth (or live in the UK), and can stream once a month, let us know - It'd be great to make this competition more interesting!

Let us know ASAP as I need to knock up this year's graphics. :)

5 minutes ago, Grain of Salt said:

Bloodite Krypto absolutely should be in the britbowl.

Does Krypto really need to be sweeping two different leaderboards?

I hereby sanction the Bloodite Krypto bowl. To participate you must have a screenname of 'Bloodite Krypto' on Doomworld, in which case you are also automatically entered. 

16 minutes ago, Grain of Salt said:

Yes

Well just you wait. I'm gonna smoke EVERYONE in the ironman this month.

no i wont

@an_mutt @Dragonfly @Suitepee

Do you want to set a deadline for joining Britbowl 2019 (besides January 31, 2019)? John has already said he would have to make the new graphics, which could be done anytime, I guess, but there seems to be some desire to have the graphics finalized by the the time the first standings are posted.

I'm not eligible, so I have no dog in the fight, I just don't want anyone who may want to participate caught unaware by some sort of arcane something-or-other (I was really going strong until the end of that sentence and just ran out of something coherent to end with).

Personally, I'd like to see a Britbowl with a few more people in it. Not too many, or the winner could end up being, "Congratulations <someone> on the 2019 Britbowl, with your rousing win total of 2!"

On 1/6/2019 at 6:28 AM, Sparktimus said:

Well just you wait. I'm gonna smoke EVERYONE in the ironman this month.

You can do it, I believe in you

7 hours ago, Pegleg said:

@an_mutt @Dragonfly @Suitepee

Do you want to set a deadline for joining Britbowl 2019 (besides January 31, 2019)? J

I'd prefer end of this week or thereabouts; it'd be best to do so before any of us have done our run for the month.

I'd get involved in the britbowl, but I don't know how to stream.  Will .lmp files still be ok?

I believe I speak for the group when we say streaming's a huge part of it for us - that said, I'm more than happy to help you get started with streaming. Once you're up and running it's really easy and quite fun, too!

If you're open to learning how to stream, let me know. :)

Yeah I'm up for that, I've got no camera or mic though, and I play on a pretty old laptop.  Might look into twitch, is that the same sort of thing?

Hey, man, the start of MAP03 is kind of mean. Category DEAD.

dwironman_alfnz_31.zip

P.S. my movement in prboom+ is worse than ever. Crooked head turns, bumping and sliding and spilling all over everything like a tin man with vertigo and a stiff neck. Give me that WD40, stat!

Edited by Alfonzo

Hello, I noticed every run before tourniquet is missing from the board for some reason. Did we screw up the comp settings, maybe?

Nope, I just decided to go bottom to top in an audacious reversal of the status quo and then gave up half way through. Such is the power that I wield.

Tomorrow, I may watch the middle remaining run exclusively and then do nothing afterwards.

Tremble before me.