Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Doom Builder 2 help

Hi,

I have been using DeepSea my whole life. But since it's now defunct and Doom Builder 2 is the defacto editor, I've started fumbling around in it on my new computer. As you might understand, fumble is the key word. I have discovered some good things so far, though, like right clicking to draw sectors, and that sector building in DB2 is super seamless and far superior to the sector building of DeepSea (hitherto: DS). 

I've also discovered that you can increase the ceiling height by holding down SHIFT and scrolling with the mouse, and likewise CTRL + Scroll adjusts the floor height. But is it possible to increase the floor and ceiling height values together? In DS this was a simple keyboard command. I also haven't figured out how to delete a linedef that is connecting two sectors so that the two sectors become one sector.

I see the menu for splitting linedefs, but don't seem to find a keyboard shortcut for splitting linedefs.

How do I move around in visual mode? I can move in place and look around 360 degrees, but I haven't figured out how to move around to other parts of the map. I'm not interested in editing in Visual mode at this point, I just want to view my edits in this mode. Anyway, I'm excited to be editing doom again this Doom Builder isn't all that bad! (I think I am going to grow to like it very much).  

Doom Builder 2 is defunct, too. Years ago, GZDoom Builder branched off of DB2, but its developer left, too, and now the project continues as GZDoom Builder Bugfix. There are a lot more tools available to you.

Doom Builder X is a more recent project that has forked from Doom Builder 2. It keeps the look-and-feel of DB2, if that is what you prefer.

I don't remember if this is in DB2 and I haven't tried DBX, but in GZDB(BF), in the Edit Sector dialog box, there is a box under Ceiling Height and Floor Height called Height Offset, which lets you add to the floor and ceiling heights at the same time.

Select the sector whose properties you want the new joined sector to have, then select the other sector(s) you want joined to that sector, and click J to join them, keeping the lines that divide them as part of the new sector. Press Shift-J instead to merge them, removing the lines that divide them.

Press V to enter Vertex mode, and click somewhere in the middle of a line to add a vertex there, splitting the line.

In the Controls tab of the Preferences dialog box (in the Tools menu, or press F5), you can see what keys do what, including movement in the Visual mode, and you can change them to suit you. I moved texture alignment from the arrow keys to the ,./' keys so I can use the arrow keys for Visual mode movement. Because of this, I don't remember what the default Visual mode movement keys are.

What Empyre mentioned, plus

You can help yourself a great deal by installing the reference manual which comes with the editor download, either by installing the Windows HTML Help files or by decompiling the chm file yourself, for example

i5osaXm.png

Furthermore, there are some good tutorials

A Beginner's Guide to creating levels for DOOM

Tutorials

Editing Tutorials
Download Doom Builder: An Illustrated Guide

and last but not least video tutorials on youtube

1 hour ago, Empyre said:

Because of this, I don't remember what the default Visual mode movement keys are.

IIRC, somewhat weirdly, the default Visual mode movement keys are ESDF, basically WASD but one to the right.  I changed them back to WASD pretty promptly.

Thanks everyone for all the tips! I've continued to edit in DB 2 and it's going quite well. While I have not edited in DeepSea in a long time, because I had done so much editing in it in the past, it's been hard to learn the new keyboard shortcuts in DB2. Fortunately I can reassign them to how they were in DeepSea. :D One thing I haven't been able to figure out, though, is how do you use the mouse to draw a selection box for selecting many linedefs at once? This was the bread and butter of DeepSea, but I can't find any such feature in DB2. 

2 hours ago, Hellbent said:

how do you use the mouse to draw a selection box for selecting many linedefs at once? This was the bread and butter of DeepSea, but I can't find any such feature in DB2. 

Just left-click-and-drag to draw a selection box, but the trick is that you must start somewhere with nothing under the cursor, or else what is under the cursor will be selected instead of the selection box being drawn.

Oops, I'm an idiot. I forgot when I changed the select activation from left click to M that it would also affect drawing a selection box. Thanks!

It's not possible to find and replace textures in a wad using DB2? I want to find all instances of startan2 in my map and replace with brick10. 

Edited by Hellbent : -2 to INT (had written 'replace' twice, instead of 'find' once).