Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egg Boy

Best Use of Stock Textures

Hey guys! I'm working on a wad with vanilla only textures, I was curious about WADs that use them in unique and creative ways just to get those mapper juices flowing. The best I've seen is Brigandine which I think uses stock resources so well, it's surprising it does in the first place.

There are a gazillion examples in this thread, a lot of them found by yours truly ;)

Some notables mostly recent:

Breach (same author as Brigandine)

Demonstary

The Warlock's Hearth

Jade Earth

Maskim Xul

Saturnine Chapel

Redemption of the Slain (another mention, yeah). Vanilla only textures, items, actors etc., but felt like a different game (or at least a commercial add-on) with all the massive point lights and scripted sequences (including modern gameplay philosophies).

On 1/5/2019 at 10:44 AM, FrancisT18 said:

Demonstary

Demonastery used a bunch of custom textures in addition to the stock textures. Everything blended together fairly well, but I don't know if it fits in this thread.

50 Shades of GRAYTALL is a great example. It pretty much necessitated clever texture usage.

Two other really good ones I played are Going Down and The Given, the latter has a screenshot in the linked thread but wasn't specifically mentioned so far.

On 1/4/2019 at 11:10 PM, Egg Boy said:

The best I've seen is Brigandine which I think uses stock resources so well, it's surprising it does in the first place.

Brigandine isn't actually entirely stock textures, it has a handful of carefully curated extras.  Although you wouldn't know it playing through the map.

Kama Sutra for its very creative details and realistic things.

Also Mars war.

Udino E4M9 by TimeOfDeath

doom1810.jpg

The Room Below (by the same author)

floorblw2.jpg

Edited by Roofi

5 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Literally anything @elend makes.
random_02.png

random_01.png

screenshot_doom_20190rtimr.png

What are these maps? They look really really good.

@Aquila Chrysaetos Hah, come on, man. Too much praise, but thank you.

@Nancsi "They" are actually just one map. My second map I am working on. It looks way better on the screenshots, than when you are actually playing...

Incident is your first map? I've never tried that one, but I might play it in the future!

40 minutes ago, elend said:

Yeah that was my first. Don't try it... it's not so good. xD

I tried it and enjoyed it very much. Great work. The exit sign should have been more obvious, and a few times I had to backtrack as path to next area wasn't always clear (one of the elevators btw. seemed tricky, I didn't know it's in the pool area). But other than that, it was a great map with actual progression from base to hell, and good, focused texturing. Dynamic lights were used well, and strengthen my theory that stock textures, weapons and enemies along with dynamic lights = win. The map was acually better than Breach, despite the obvious similarities.

@Nancsi Better than Breach? Haha, now that's really too much. Definitely not, but I appreciate that you enjoyed the map. I am more than flattered.

@Juza Hmm, I still need a Doom furniture toilet in my map.

I actually find both Breach and Brigandine as some scatterbrained levels with no real progress. They look good on the surface, but the texturing felt mishmash after a while, and I never felt I'm in somewhere, other than just some random places with Doom assets. But that might be a minority opinion. Breach is better than Brigandine btw. The latter was really unenjoyable for me.

18 hours ago, loveless said:

@Juza You'll post the toilet but not the truck?  For shame, for shame.

The helicopter in map 13 is the most impressive vehicle in my opinion.

18 hours ago, loveless said:

@Juza You'll post the toilet but not the truck?  For shame, for shame.

I don't remember any, you mean the last screenshot? 

unknown-9.png

unknown-8.png

Vj25yub.png

I'm gonna have to go through it to be sure I'm not mixing up wads. I haven't played KS in over a year.