Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath666

[released] Doomworld Mega Project 2018 (beat your own map)

14 hours ago, tmorrow said:

Out of curiosity has anyone found all 4 secrets in map03 of dmp2018cl2? I was only able to find 2 of them and my limited knowledge of gzdoombuilder suggests the bfg and rocket launcher secrets aren't reachable in normal game play. I hope I'm mistaken.

The rocket launcher requires you to run towards it within the first 30 seconds of the map starting, or miss it forever, whilst the BFG9000 is only accessible for a 6 second window after 5 minutes. The idea was that the rest of the map would reward a player who'd waited for the BFG or rushed the rocket launcher (or both) with them trivialising fights in the other sections. However, I never made those other sections, so you've just got these secrets for replay value if you're after 100% completion.

As for the release itself... The first two maps being slaughter fare put me off bothering with the rest. I know it's not in the spirit of these projects, but some kind of organisation by difficulty (or at least monster count), or even segregation into different styles or something would be nice.

8 hours ago, Phobus said:

As for the release itself... The first two maps being slaughter fare put me off bothering with the rest. I know it's not in the spirit of these projects, but some kind of organisation by difficulty (or at least monster count), or even segregation into different styles or something would be nice.

Yeah the first two maps really soured my mood, although the first one was doable and honestly I did enjoy it in the end once I'd cooled down some. The second was just downright ludicrous and I just godmoded my way around the map after a while to at least see what all the map had to offer before quitting entirely. The next handful of maps are really nice though. If you like tamer vanilla maps then you'll probably enjoy them.

7 hours ago, Phobus said:

The rocket launcher requires you to run towards it within the first 30 seconds of the map starting, or miss it forever, whilst the BFG9000 is only accessible for a 6 second window after 5 minutes.

Thanks Phobus, once again I fell for two most dastardly special effect timing tricks ever used in doom. I'm not overly fond of these two effects and fortunately they aren't often used. A lot of time can be wasted vainly trying to access these kind of secrets outside their timing windows but they are certainly fair game for doom.

I first fell for the "door close stay (after 30 sec.)" special in doom2's map27 Monster Condo. I first succumbed to the "Door Open Close (opens after 5 min.)" special in 2002ado's e1m9 "Lugano Base ZR-X". In both cases I never would have been able to find the secrets myself.

You sure fooled me!

5 hours ago, Phobus said:

Actually, Scifista created a map order for DMP 2015, and included comments explaining why used that order in the posts where he announced the alpha releases. He elected to go with matching themes and difficulty progression instead of submission order.

If you had a metric to judge difficulty against that would be useful in creating a less-subjective difficulty progression. For instance, Fraggle wrote a post in one of the Freedoom threads, wherein he described a script he wrote that compared the hitpoints of all the monsters in a level with the available health and ammo and determined a ratio, where higher numbers generally indicated more difficult levels. It wouldn't be perfect, since you'd also have to take into account other things (as discussed in that thread), such as level size, monster distribution, trap type, ambushes, etc., but it would be something, if you were going to go that route.

13 hours ago, TimeOfDeath666 said:

I wouldn't mind re-editing if I made a compiling mistake, but he already submitted the map without the music and the rules were very strict to not allow updates.

I didn't update anything, I simply didn't send in the entire thing right away. Just like some people did with the demos. You said we can have custom music, but you never specified how to include it. And if we're going for the "no updates" standard, my music is really less updated than anyone else's (excluding Benjogami's), since for everyone else, you took their included music lumps and renamed them to fit the new slots. Maenwhile, part 2 of my upload had the song alraedy named correctly, removing the need for any further changes (and allowing people to just load DMP2018cl2 with my file if you make no updates).

The final decision is of course up to you, I'm just trying to avoid clearing things up.

What's the deal with your map?  Was it supposed to be a puzzle or something?  I thought about coming back to grab the correct music, but for a 30 second map it doesn't seem worth the extra bother.

Here's the rest of my CL2 FDAs.  I had seen Jthom's map previously when @HAK3180 recorded it.  I'm ok with the shootable switch, I actually like that kind of thing.  I'm generally better at the puzzle / adventure side of things than I am at the combat.

DMP2018cl2_7hm_15-18.zip

Uhhh can anyone explain map17 of the cl2 wad to me? I have no idea what the hell that map was about, lol.

Well, I've played through 13 maps of the cl2 wad and I don't think I have it in me to continue. So many of these maps are uninspired slaughter romps and the rest were just incredibly confusing and awkward or just stupidly hard. I hate to be such a negative Nancy but these maps were just a chore to play honestly.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy DMP2018 @Count651. I've played all the cl2 maps and my experience is more positive but I appreciate your perspective. I found the hardest maps to be the ones by Benjogami, Roofi and Killer5, the first 2 are slaughtermaps for sure but Killer5's map is difficult by virtue of tough cybie fights in cramped quarters that demands high skill as well as a difficult platforming section that needs to be done quickly. I was unable to uvmax those 3 maps. The other 15 maps I was able to uvmax as they are a step down in difficulty and within my ability range. I found gaspe and JudgeDeadd maps to be the trickier 2 maps of that remaining set.

The defining characteristics of the DMP series has been to get as large a group of mappers to contribute, each submitting a single map, naturally resulting in a much larger variation in difficulty and mapping quality than you will find in most projects consisting of hand picked mappers with tighter controls on theme, difficulty and quality.

My favorite maps for the cl2 mapset in DM2018 are:

1. @pcorf- excellent fun from start to finish with fights involving all doom2 monster type and rewarding secrets.
  2. @JudgeDeadd - 3 interesting and challenging traps to survive (slaughter at the end)
  3. @cannonball - an indoor facility with great use of lighting that has you on the run from the start.
  4. @gaspe - a small old school map with surprising diversity of areas, seamlessly joined together and a very nasty revenant trap at the soulsphere.
  5. @DMPhobos - a large, imposing inferno map chock full of encounters.

I'm interested to see what the cl9 maps bring, I know TOD's map is going to bring a lot of pain!

It looks like my joke-slaughter map is not really well appreciated. I had a lot of fun making and playing it , it's all that matters. :)

3 hours ago, Roofi said:

It looks like my joke-slaughter map is not really well appreciated.

I appreciate your map, I never took it to be joke map, just a very tough one. I played it through with saves. The worst area for me was in the huge green slime pit with the hordes of archviles, revs, etc and a spider mastermind. Also extremely tough is the end when all the archviles come out to play! I certainly enjoyed your playthrough - well done!

18 hours ago, Roofi said:

It looks like my joke-slaughter map is not really well appreciated. I had a lot of fun making and playing it , it's all that matters. :)

i played your map; didnt think there was any joke to it - great map

I didn't play the wad yet , I threw a glance in the cl2 map pack where my map is and that's funny how the first maps are also the hardest or at least the most slaughter(ish). My map should be among the last ones in order to not discurage the less skilled players and also to not give all the weapons too soon.

I finally got through the 14 cl9 maps for DMP2018. I was able to uvmax 7 of the maps, but the other 7 maps are either too hard or too long so I resorted to using saves on those maps. Just like the cl2 maps, there's a wide variety of adventures to be had, everyone should find maps that suit them.

The 3 hardest maps are guaranteed to blow your socks off:

1. CarboxylicAcids - unabashed slaughter hell
  2. TimeOfDeath666 - a sadistic, linear, tight set of encounters with the baddest of the doom2's enemies in copious quantities
  3. Ninehills42 - the final battle is a doozy after a series of smaller battles

If you like large maps then you are in for a treat. The following maps will give you hours of exploration and fights:

1. Jjp - set aside several hours for this city map
  2. riderr3 - a city over slime takes some time
  3. Scypek2 - a large facility with a heavy wolfenstein theme
  4. Zan-zan-zawa-veia - limited ammo & weaponry and a complicated switch hunt

Overall my favorite maps in the cl9 mapset are:

1. @Ninehills42 - map13, a marvelous map with a great mood, hard, well thought out encounters throughout and a bunch of tricky secrets. The best room is the church, it's even fitted with a piano/organ.
  2. @Jjp - map14, a huge nightmare city with zombies and shotgunguys roaming the streets and the tougher enemies hiding inside the buildings. With 48 secrets, 6 keys and a fight for every new weapon, you will be to'ing and fro'ing between buildings for several hours. Ammo is scarce for a long time.
  3. @riderr3 - map05, a dilapidated city built precariously over a sea of slime with a gooey lava center. Plenty of rad suits provided if used correctly. Fun times to be had by all inside the buildings.
  4. @Pinchy - map10, a techbase overrun with monsters, a theme rarely seen in doom maps :-)
  5. @JadingTsunami - map06, a romp through time, I just love the starting western ghost town with a fitting music track.
Edited by tmorrow : fixed type cl8 to cl9

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/370949369 = part 1 (maps 1-8 of -cl2)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/374781717 = part 2 (maps 9-18 of -cl2)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/378618489 = part 3 (maps 1-5 of -cl9)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/379142233 = part 4 (maps 6-12 of -cl9)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/379721410 = part 5 (map 13 and most of 14 in -cl9)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/380611522 = part 6 (rest of map 14 in -cl9)

This felt like a downgrade from DMP2017 overall. Scypek2's map was the best.

Hoping that ZDoom maps are allowed in the 2019 edition, and also the end of the 'vanilla textures' only rule @TimeOfDeath. Both of these rules imo constrained the fun that previous DMP's had.

Here is a uvmax demo packs of most maps only Slaughter and huge/complex maps are missing or Phobus's map where  i failed to find 1 secret ....a very good wad overall as mention above Scypek2's map was the best.... i already post all these demos to dedicated demos thread though 

cl9 wad

1 at 4:27

4 at 2m 45s

6 at 7m 03s
7 at 1:49

8 at 2:07
9 at 5m 54s

10  at 3:38

cl2 wad

4 at  51s
5 at 7m 51s
6 at 4m 23s
7 at 2m 45s (cl9 used as cl2 giving a bug,making 100% kills impossible )
9 at 3m 20s
10 at 4m 40s

11 at 9m 43s
13 at 3m 40s
14 at 8m 16s
16 at 7m 19s
18 at 4m 43s

8 at 2m 7s
15 at 5m 59s
17 at 15sec

Dm18max.zip