Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
memes4lyfe

how does everyone have perfect aim in quake 1 multiplayer?

either they're using aimbots, or i'm just jealous. probably both!

so, any tips on aiming other than "git gud" i can use? like settings?

put you setting of aim sensitivity WAY THE F UP! and remember you not alone so when you walk in a room, immediately look above and if unsure scan the room before entering and have your best gun at the ready! the whole key is HEAD ON A SWIVEL!  

Master bunny hopping. Memorize the spawn and item locations. Understand the concept of resource denial. Practice.

Quake's hitboxes are fairly lenient, and there's no locational damage. Aiming isn't as important a concept in Quake as much as map awareness and movement are. 

I disagree with the advice given by The Doctor. Find a sensitivity that's comfortable for you and stick with it. Lower sensitivities are generally better for games that require precision aiming, but Quake doesn't really apply here. Never walk in Quake. Sometimes you'll be alone in a room, sometimes you won't. The best weapon at any given moment is dependent upon your circumstances. Be ready to switch to another weapon on the fly. 

4 hours ago, memes4lyfe said:

any tips on aiming other than "git gud" i can use? like settings?

Be more generous with mouse speeds if you're having trouble turning fast, but don't just go all-in. Find a comfortable speed and get accustomed to it.

Make sure to be good with higher tier weapons, especially lightning gun and anything that consumes rockets.

Learn the dynamics of the map, and develop a pattern that allows you to stay in control of valuable weapons, armour and health to deny your opponent frags in slower maps, and develop strategies for maps that play faster that allow you to get and stay ahead.

Learn the intricacies of a map: What can you see frome where? What's the fastest way to which item? Which locations get the most action?

When engaging in fights, agression is usually more valuable than defense (except for "grindy" maps at times). Force opponents to play by your rules, because if you're too passive you'll get killed eventually. Making your shots count is more important than trying to dodge everything. Learn what manner of damage which weapon does and try to force opponents into unfavourable (for them) "shootouts", while avoiding those yourself.

Stay on the ground as much as possible. Mid-air targets are way easier to hit than a target that can change its path at any given time. Bunny hopping is for when you know it's safe to do, but it's not for 100% of the time.

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

1 hour ago, Ajora said:

Ideal for attacking at mid-range. Don't use it underwater. 

Unless there's lots of other players in the water or nearby and want to gib them all (and if you have the pentagram). More cells result in bigger/higher damage explosion.

For weapon selection keys, use keys that are fast to press. Quake has instant weapon switches, so you could use weapon combos easier with better weapon selection keys than having them all in the 1 to 8 number keys.

There's not much aiming in Quake 1. Most of the aiming is used for prefiring spawnpoints and not much else, other than very rare SSG fights.

7 hours ago, Thedoctor989 said:

put you setting of aim sensitivity WAY THE F UP!

Wrong, put it as low as you can, and then make lots of room to make big sweeping movements with your mouse. This is how precise aim is done.

Quake 1 heavily revolves around the rocket launcher in deathmatch. Get used to it. Splash damage is king. Knowing rocket jumping and shortcuts around maps as a result of it can be a big help as well, but be careful.

Keep the high ground if you're on maps that support it (DM6 for instance). Know where all the spawns are and know where the items are. Use sound to your advantage. For instance, if you hear your opponent pick up two health packs back to back on DM6, you know exactly where he is. Sound is crucial in the original Quake, probably more so than other Quakes due to how far it travels.

Quake is very heavy on "aim" like any other good competitive shooter is. Don't let others lead you to believe otherwise, and don't get sloppy.

8 hours ago, TwinBeast said:

Unless there's lots of other players in the water or nearby and want to gib them all (and if you have the pentagram). More cells result in bigger/higher damage explosion.

For weapon selection keys, use keys that are fast to press. Quake has instant weapon switches, so you could use weapon combos easier with better weapon selection keys than having them all in the 1 to 8 number keys.

You're correct. I can't believe I forgot about that. That's what I get for trying to be sassy. 

While I don't play Quake 1 death match, I do play Team Fortress 2. I'm awful with a sniper rifle. I can't ever seem to get head shots, even when actually head shotting. My ping is stupidly low as I'm in a major city with an actual server farm in it. What I did discover from recording and playback... I'm more accurate, when I miss. Since I have no idea why this is, I just don't play as sniper.

I have mouse sensitivity weird, so I can make big sweeping motions instantly, but still have precision with smaller movements. It's helpful for rocket jumping.

Using the right weapon for the right situation is extremely important. For quickly changing weapons use keys that are close to the movement keys (WASD keys) for quick weapon change. For example in quake 3, I have:

Q - set for lighting gun

E - set for rocket launcher

R - set for railgun

F - set for plasma gun

Also learn the maps and the spawn timing of items. For example in Quake 3, yellow/red armors spawn after 25 seconds, megahealth spawns after 35 secs(120 seconds in tourney maps).