Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

11 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

Yes, such deliberate utilization of hindsight is unthinkable unless/until I deem it will be unreasonably hard to pull off or unreasonably boring (or nauseating) to watch. If watching the same basic content numerous times makes you sick, I suggest increasing the playback speed. I have also cut death runs before and/or noted when the successful one starts, but I've been lazy lately.

No, I'd personally rather all the attempts be there than that any get cut. But it was some experience watching you make it so hard on yourself. I do mean it, though, when I say what matters is that you still enjoyed the map. If playing that way is fun for you, then who am I to criticize?

Even if I don't criticize, though, I might still complain a little about the distress it causes me when watching it.

@Lorenz0

idgames download page

Don’t blink or the map might pass you by. My intermission screen time was 6:00 and I killed over 450 enemies. It’s basically a series of three situations, one with circling around a small arena with lots of enemies, one with riding conveyors and making jumps, and one with little cover but all sorts of projectile types coming at you.

Bottom line: professional looking map, fast-paced action

@xdarkmasterx

Doomworld forum topic

This thing is surely more intense on harder difficulties, but there just aren’t many high-threat situations because there’s almost always a ton of space. The opening encounter is probably the most tense. After that you basically circle around the enemies and help them kill each other. It’s also not the best looking map ever, even for vanilla, and definitely below what this mapper has done before.

Bottom line: A bit too much space for the combat there is

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

This is a pretty big map for this wad. It’s also much less linear than most. It also has a ton of plasma. Truly, some aspects of it didn’t even feel like the same mapper. But it had a nice appearance – tall ceilings and darkness really sell the gothic vibe. After about 2/3, the map becomes very linear and repetitive. It felt like perhaps the time constraints of a megawad in a month caught up with the mapper.

Bottom line: strong gameplay until the final third, fun atmosphere

Thanks for playing! Map 26 has perhaps the most colorful, tormented history of any map in the WAD. When I first made the map it was very lacking in visual detail, without very good gameplay, and easily the worst in the set. Even though I had spent at least as much time on that one as any other so far. I don't know, it must have a combination of the size and of running low on mapping energy and inspiration. Once I finished the 32, in late November, I came back and spent a whole nother day worth of free time making this one map better. Evidently I did a much better job of improving the area before the blue door than after. I don't know if I'll be making any more releases but, if I do, it will definitely include amping up those last encounters. Probably with the archviles you were expecting. 

@Lorenz0

idgames download page

The green really shines in this one. A lot of the maps have felt safe visually – just basic professional looking detail. This one seems to take more risks and I like it. I also really like the opening encounter, but after that, the flow and appearance maintain quality, but there seems to be too many supplies for the somewhat static opposition. 

Bottom line: A short map with great visuals and a fun start but a gradual decline in encounter quality

I agree with basically everything you said in this vid. I also think it's one of the best maps in the set, that went a little downhill in the 2nd half combat wise, but about the resources; there may be a bit too many, but not everyone relies on infighting in the way you do. If you don't even try to cause any (and I know many people don't) then you have just enough ammo. Also I think you had so much infighting in the first fight, because you activated the spawn-in trap early on.

But anyway great video, thanks for playing :)

@Lorenz0

idgames download page

It’s good looking with a fun Wormhole-esque concept, but it certainly feels like a lot is left to be desired with the lack of damaging floor in the blood areas. That basically nullifies the purpose of the narrow bridges and trivializes the combat

Bottom line: a cool concept that seems to lack one key ingredient.

On 1/8/2019 at 8:46 AM, MAN_WITH_GUN said:

[Anal Nightmares]

I played this for a bit. It seemed like minimal effort went into it, and I didn't enjoy it at all. That wouldn't normally stop me from completing a video, but with almost 1000 enemies, I'm going to pass on this one.

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

Rockets only in a tight facility, complete with some damaging floor. This was fun. The pace was just right. The spacing of the imps and the supplies made the map dynamic. I actually think this one had a few too many rockets; it’s the type of map I think would do well to require some ammo precision.

Bottom line: I hope you like the rocket launcher

The reason why I didn't make the blood damaging in map09 is because I have it encoded in my brain that blood shouldn't be ever damaging. Idk why, but I think that way, and never make the blood damaging in my maps. And I wanted to use that texture in this map, because it fit really well color-wise, while nukage not so much.

But I agree that I should have made it damaging anyway, though in my defense I'll say at least that I think most players choose to fight on the bridges on their own, just because it's more interesting. I don't know many people who would choose to cheese big parts of a map if it meant making the combat less engaging.

Btw the ending wasn't open just like that, a wall lowered once all monsters spawned in.

5 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

I played this for a bit. It seemed like minimal effort went into it, and I didn't enjoy it at all. That wouldn't normally stop me from completing a video, but with almost 1000 enemies, I'm going to pass on this one.

This wad actually was a big joke or something, stupid traps, weird design on map and etc. The wad was made under the inspiration of the terry-wads, so it is not surprising why he looks like that.

(Btw it wasn't my idea to send that map in this topic, lol :D) 

1 hour ago, Lorenz0 said:

I don't know many people who would choose to cheese big parts of a map if it meant making the combat less engaging.

Interesting. In my observation, this community puts a lot more responsibility on the mapper to prevent a map from being cheesable than on the player to refrain from cheesing.

@MAN_WITH_GUN, I'd be happy to play more like Fear Factor.

On 1/7/2019 at 3:18 PM, HAK3180 said:

@Lorenz0

idgames download page

Don’t blink or the map might pass you by. My intermission screen time was 6:00 and I killed over 450 enemies. It’s basically a series of three situations, one with circling around a small arena with lots of enemies, one with riding conveyors and making jumps, and one with little cover but all sorts of projectile types coming at you.

Bottom line: professional looking map, fast-paced action

Hah, cool. The conveyor bits remind me of an old game called Skyroads.

3 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Interesting. In my observation, this community puts a lot more responsibility on the mapper to prevent a map from being cheesable than on the player to refrain from cheesing.

Rightfully so. I'm just saying that it's not a major mistake if it's not reoccuring within a wad. I tolerate stuff like this, and it's not a big deal for me.

But anyway, I'm not trying to argue against your criticism, it's very fair.

4 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@MAN_WITH_GUN, I'd be happy to play more like Fear Factor.

Hehe, got it!) Also new version was released. 

Thank you for playing! I'm glad you enjoyed these maps. I challenge you to get 100% kills on Map 30, which isn't all that interesting if you're just rushing through. (Well, if you didn't play and record it with all kills already.)

You commented on Map 27's music - I used that Beethoven symphony it because of its use in Clockwork Orange, and how the RL is overkill for the imps. 

Map 28 works a little differently than you were thinking. Before I uploaded the WAD file I performed a hexing ritual on the map data bytes which causes teleporting to happen essentially randomly. 

@Lorenz0

idgames download page

It’s a little bit tame for a finale and a slaughter map, but it’s fun to run around and avoid the cyberdemons while almost everything dies without you pulling the trigger. Again, the look is clean, textbook good.

Bottom line: easycore slaughter in a grand space

Scattered Ashes takes you to a number of different places. There were some times where a little more polish or flair would have gone a long way, but it’s a perfectly satisfactory set of maps for someone looking for pretty much classic Doom done a little bit outside the box.

Edited by HAK3180

Thanks for playing Scattered Ashes, I appreciate it. I definitely went a bit low key with this wad in comparison to other stuff I've made. It never gets nearly as intense as in In Flames (which was actually the toughest map I ever made). I was working within the limitations of NaNoWADMo, so I tried not to get too ambitious, and decided to play it safe with many maps, as you noticed. I focused mainly on making the levels look and feel diverse from each other.

Anyway, thanks again for playing, I'll probably hit you up with a more serious project of mine, once I finish making it.

Nah, that wasn't a filler or lazy map, and wasn't even made that late in the month. I wanted to do something different and more atmospheric leading up to the final map. Actually it took a solid chunk of time to get that big spiral right. 

Thanks for playing, though! 

26 minutes ago, meapineapple said:

Nah, that wasn't a filler or lazy map, and wasn't even made that late in the month. I wanted to do something different and more atmospheric leading up to the final map. Actually it took a solid chunk of time to get that big spiral right. 

Thanks for playing, though! 

It's actually a rather interesting choice, I feel like this could have been put at the beginning of the final map, with no real changes (other than having each section of the spiral dish out weaponry and ammunition) and it would have been an effective opener. Usually the penultimate map is a huge challenge right before the final encounter. It's completely alright to buck the trend, but the map is incredibly short, and feels like an opener was given its own map slot.

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

This one’s not really very original, but it’s effective nonetheless. You fight a bunch of monsters in an arena that are released by your control. I only wish the different waves had some variety to them.

Bottom line: Suitable closer for a megawad in a month

Nanopineapple is impressive just by the fact that it’s a megawad in a month. Even if it had been completed today, it’s a megawad in just over three months, and it’s very well polished. Meapineapple seems to have had a plan of attack and executed it with few hiccups. There’s a lot of variety, so there’s sure to be something for everybody. My favorites are 05, 07, 16, 18, 24, 25.

3 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

I don't mind slaughter sometimes, but I have no interest in playing this, much less attempting a UV-Max. Moreover, my FDA of this would be of very little value or entertainment to anyone.

Probably because people would be watching you die a lot and have to frequently load a saved game. I gave out hints in the text file on how to beat the level.