Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nanami

Wall texture MONKEY

This question has probably been asked before somewhere, but if someone could help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Until now when I replaced a texture, I just found one that I wasn't using (BROVINE2 or something) and added a texture to the wad called that, so if I used BROVINE2 anywhere, it would be my new wall texture.

Now, I don't want to do that this time. I want to add a texture to the wad. I want to, for example, have a picture of a monkey and call it MONKEY and be able to put that in the level somewhere. I'm pretty sure I need more than just the texture. Can anyone tell me what I need to add this texture to a wad?

I'd like to be able to do it with DeePsea. I could always get Wintex if I had to. What steps would I have to go through to give my wad an extra wall texture or twenty?

You need to add the patches that comprise it between the P_ markers, you need to add the patch names to the pnames lump, and you need to add the texture pointing to the patches and their alignments to the texture1 lump. DeepSea should be able to do it all.

Since you are using DeepSea do the following things (in no particular order): RTFM, search this forum, press F7.

boris said:

Since you are using DeepSea do the following things (in no particular order): RTFM, search this forum, press F7.

Sound like a good idea...

If you are using DeePsea, then it can do it all in one step. As was said, hit F7 and select auto textures from BMPs. Whe the dialogue pops up, select all the BMP files you want to put into textures (it can handle one or many in one go).

When you click save, DeePsea will do a quick check of valid names and then prompt you for a destination WAD. This can be an existing file, or a new one. On saving, DeePsea will copy all your BMPs into the WAD as patches, add their names to PNAMES and make a texture of them, adding it to TEXTURE1. All these lumps will be put into the WAD specified. The names of the textures will be taken from the BMP name.

So, if you had a file called MONKEY.BMP, you will now have a wad with a graphic lump called MONKEY, a PNAMES lump with an entry called MONKEY added to it and a TEXTURE1 lump with an entry called MONKEY added to it allowing you to load it up and put the texture called MONKEY on any line you want.

You can also do it manually if there is something extra you want to do (eg put an existing light graphic on the front of your texture). In that case, you'd import the graphic to a WAD, and then use the texture name editor to manually enter a PNAMES entry. Then you could edit an existing texture, or add one that includes your new PNAME. Again, you can specify a new file or an existing file when saving. A new file will only get the PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps added to it. Saving to an existing file will add the PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps to whatever was in the original wad. Again, all under F7.

Oh yeah, and if you have already imported your graphics, DeePsea can search loaded WADs for graphics that are not yet part of a texture and make them into one. Again, under F7.

In addition, if you have defined a few textures in different wads, if you use DeePsea to save or merge a new PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lump into a WAD that already has one, it will not overwrite the original entries, but consolidate the two by merging the entries into one PNAMES and one TEXTURE1 lump in the destination wad.

It worked! Thanks Enjay. I used my shareware version of DeePsea to put it into its own wad and then my (very old) registered DeePsea to combine it with my level. =P