Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
memes4lyfe

what is your favourite Power Weapon in FPS history?

a power weapon refers to a weapon that is ludicrously over powered and can eradicate any enemy easily. they can range from small, (like the soap from DUSK) to Fraggin' Big (the BFG 9000 from doom) just to be clear, a rocket launcher is not a power weapon. power weapons have the highest damage, or Damage Per Second in a DoomQuake FPS (DoomQuake refers to an FPS that relies on non-linear layouts and abstract geometry, key card hunting, no reloading, fast movement, varied enemies, a melee weapon, a pistol, at least one long range shotgun, an automatic weapon, at least one explosive weapon, a rapid-fire automatic weapon, a power weapon, and a power-melee weapon, as well as an episodic format, as seen in DOOM and QUAKE). over the years, there have been many power weapons from the iconic BFG 9000 from DOOM, to the comedic Soap from DUSK. so many power weapons to choose from. so many ways to deal death. which one is your favourite. mine is the BFG 9000.

Not FPS, but Dead Space 2's Hand Cannon reward for beating Hard Core mode. Maybe change title to "in FPS/TPS history"?

Going also for Hexen's Wraithverge. So much fun to use, and it circumvents those centaurs' pesky deflection ability as well.

Railgun from Quake 2. Sure there is the BFG10K too, but the Railgun is better. Get to carry 100 slugs for it, instant hit, go through multiple enemies. The BFG10K use 50 cells per shot, so that's just 6 shots, and cells are better used for the Power Shield.

In Hexen I like the Sapphire Wand, it's kinda like an unlimited ammo railgun. Then just line up the centaurs into some bottleneck area and *zup zup zup zup*

I’d be lying if I said anything but BFG9000. Clearing out a room full of opponents with a single click (and just knowing some of them are raging about it) never gets old..

Doom's BFG and Shadow Warrior's Rocket Launcher. That thing has a pretty devastating and fun secondary fire.

I'm stuck on three...
Doom (1/2 & 2016) BFG
Turok Evolution's cluster rocket launcher (with swarm bore and nuke attachments)
Goldeneye's dual RCP90s

I have too many to list but most notable ones I love are:

- BFG 9000 from Doom 1/2

- Wraithverge from Hexen

- Golden Gun from Goldeneye

- SBC Cannon from Serious Sam series

- Shrinker/Shrink Ray from Duke Nukem 3D & Duke Nukem Forever

- Gjallarhorn from Destiny 1

I'm very disappointed nobody is bringing up the Sigil from Strife.

Sigilform5-strife.png.7315cd403d04e20384f41d9c13094d71.png

Or the Unmaker.

Since I started on Doom64 its quite natural that it would be the unmaker, however it lacks the "flashy" aspect that, lets say, the BFG would have.

The Wraithverge is the most absurdly overpowered weapon ever created. It shoots a ball of ghosts that spread out and seek enemies and instakill them. Also they can go through closed doors. With the BFG, you don't need to aim, as long as the enemy is on the screen it'll be hurt. With the wraithverge, you don't even need to see the enemy, and it won't just be hurt, it kills everything except the bosses instantly. You can shoot the wraithverge in an empty room and then you will hear monsters exploding farther away in the level as your angry ghosts are giving them the Ark of the Covenant special. (If you've seen Raiders of the Lost Ark, you know what I'm talking about.) And yeah, as Mordeth mentioned, those pesky annoying centaurs don't get to be invincible behind their shields; they just gib and that's so very satisfying. (Monsters with invincibility defenses are the worst.)

If the Wraithverge wins at being ludicrously overpowered; the Redeemer from Unreal Tournament wins at being fun. It's a guided missile that causes immense damage in a huge area. When you shoot it, you can control it (note that while you do so, you will be immobile and an easy frag for your enemies, so find a good hideout to shoot it) and seek enemies to blast. This way you don't have to shoot at enemies that are in your line of fire. The missile is quite maneuverable, and it gives you the opportunity to fly instead of being landbound.

Finally, honorable mention to Quake's Thunderbolt with the Quad Damage powerup active. Nothing like gibbing a shambler in less than a second to feel like a badass. And throwing lightning at your enemies is always cool.

Just now, memes4lyfe said:

a red BFG?

Its from the "Extreme Weapons Pack". A weapons mod that makes all of the weapons really bad. So a funny ironic joke i guess.

Flak Cannon from the original Unreal Tournament. (It got some pretty big nerfs in 200X.)

Or better yet, the Ripper - the weapon that made everyone cry because a ricocheted ripper blade could headshot you from around the corner.

On 1/11/2019 at 4:04 PM, Gez said:

The Wraithverge is the most absurdly overpowered weapon ever created. It shoots a ball of ghosts that spread out and seek enemies and instakill them. Also they can go through closed doors. With the BFG, you don't need to aim, as long as the enemy is on the screen it'll be hurt. With the wraithverge, you don't even need to see the enemy, and it won't just be hurt, it kills everything except the bosses instantly. You can shoot the wraithverge in an empty room and then you will hear monsters exploding farther away in the level as your angry ghosts are giving them the Ark of the Covenant special. (If you've seen Raiders of the Lost Ark, you know what I'm talking about.) And yeah, as Mordeth mentioned, those pesky annoying centaurs don't get to be invincible behind their shields; they just gib and that's so very satisfying. (Monsters with invincibility defenses are the worst.)

If the Wraithverge wins at being ludicrously overpowered; the Redeemer from Unreal Tournament wins at being fun. It's a guided missile that causes immense damage in a huge area. When you shoot it, you can control it (note that while you do so, you will be immobile and an easy frag for your enemies, so find a good hideout to shoot it) and seek enemies to blast. This way you don't have to shoot at enemies that are in your line of fire. The missile is quite maneuverable, and it gives you the opportunity to fly instead of being landbound.

Finally, honorable mention to Quake's Thunderbolt with the Quad Damage powerup active. Nothing like gibbing a shambler in less than a second to feel like a badass. And throwing lightning at your enemies is always cool.

I don't agree with this, especially when you factor in power fantasy mods such as Russian Overkill. Part of why I love the Wraithverge so much is because it isn't monstrously overpowered. I found the power level for the weapon to be perfectly balanced. There's plenty of situations where it's the best weapon to use, but it never outright replaces the other weapons, and it also chews through a lot of ammo. 

Also, there's a lot of weapons being mentioned here that I wouldn't classify as being power weapons.

1 hour ago, Ajora said:

when you factor in power fantasy mods

I didn't.

This question hurt my head. I keep thinking of how much I really liked the Meteor Staff in Hexen 2. It's been years since I last used that weapon but I remember how satisfying it was pummelling enemies with meteors.

I also really like the Doom plasma rifle and the BFG of course.

Edited by Doom_Dude

Am going to go with a tie between the Phoenix Rod from Heretic (I know the firemace is supposed to be the ultimate weapon, but this one trumps it anyway) and Hexen'S BloodScourge. 

The Phoenix Rod is just very satisfying to see monsters go flying all over the place because of how powerful it is. It'd be like having the Rocket launcher in doom flinging Barons of hell with its damage. Doesn't help that it can super powered into a super nice ammo saving mode. Actually forget the tie, I'll just go with the bloodscourge.

The projectiles can lift monsters around before exploding and splattering them all over. It can home around edges and you don't even need to see enemies to kill them. It also finally gives the mage his AOE attack to speed up his game. It might not be the most overpowered but it is the one that strikes the nicest balance between awesome and balanced (Hence choosing it over the 2 other ultimate weapons, both are way too overpowered and do everything). -*cough* it also shits on the other weapons in multiplayer because wraithverge is weak to players and quietus needs aiming! go go bloodscourge *cough*-

The BFG9k is a worthy contender just because it has a deceiving skill ceiling aside from just being a strong weapon.