Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Abyssal Speedmapping Session 43 - Comes with a free set of steak knives!*

*Wait, shit, no it doesn't.

Last month's session.

Welcome to 2019, ladies and gentlemen! It's gonna be a busy year for yours truly and I can't tell you for certain what's going to happen to the sessions going forward, but I can tell you for a fact that they'll be on for this month! The 43rd Abyssal Speedmapping Session is on the 12th of January, 7PM Eastern Standard Time. As ever, a link to the official Discord server will be posted some time beforehand and I'll be accepting theme suggestions over the next week.

Session timer.

Please tell me there's a re-run 12hr after?

Spoiler

I better get a set of steak knives or I'll be filing a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority. >:(

On 1/4/2019 at 10:08 AM, Obsidian said:

I'll be accepting theme suggestions over the next week

Uhm... How about this themes?

- Cavernous places

- Mandatory illusio-pit

- Jungle / woods / anything with plants

- remake your favorite IWAD or PWAD map from memory

- Abandoned places

4 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I better get a set of steak knives or I'll be filing a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority. >:(

But didn't you read the fine print (as fine as you can get with DW anyway) that you don't get them with your map?

Of course, I'm sure if you were to simply pay the very* small processing fee and the equally** small fee for shipping and handling, I'm sure @Obsidian would happily oblige you by sending you your free set of steak knives.

* In this context, "very" means "not at all." ... English can be funny that way sometimes. ... Come on, you're paying for a set of steak knives.

** Shipping and handling is the same order of magnitude as the processing fee. That's pretty close to approximately equal.

1 hour ago, Walter confetti said:

Uhm... How about this themes?

- Cavernous places

- Mandatory illusio-pit

- Jungle / woods / anything with plants

- remake your favorite IWAD or PWAD map from memory

- Abandoned places

Cavernous / Abandoned places sounds fun. Been looking to get back into mapping.

What are the restrictions as far as time limit, ports, and assets? Or is that to be discussed on discord? Sorry, this is my first time participating.

2 hours limit and Boom-compatible map is the standard of every session.

About themes and stuff, it will be known only 1/2 days before the event starts...

THE LIST OF TEN APPROACHETH

1. 10 sectors

2. Liberal usage of the Icon textures.

3. Emphasis on Berserk combat

4. No enemies weaker than a Cacodemon (Revenants and Pain Elementals are allowed)

5. Perpetual lowering and raising floors

6. Liberal usage of the curve tool or curved linedefs

7. Inventive usage of extreme sector heights

8. 1 monster - use a single monster and make it threatening

9. Invulnerability sphere usage

10. All six keys used in the map

Also @Dragonfly, Jimmy will indeed be hosting the second session. It'll be slightly later than 12 hours, but hopefully that doesn't impact your plans too much.

Suits me.

Good themes! Surprisingly fond of theme 2, the rest of the themes are also good picks.

I hope to make an appearance. :)

I like 10 sectors theme, that'll help me keep things simple. Can we use multiple themes in one map? If so, I'll probably include 4,5,6, and 8 as well.

The themes are selected at random from the list and you'll be told what the themes are 15 minutes (typically) before the session starts. :)

20 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Suits me.

Good themes! Surprisingly fond of theme 2, the rest of the themes are also good picks.

I hope to make an appearance. :)

I'd rather have Icon textures only with some things like doortrack allowed. Make people use those offsets :p

On 1/10/2019 at 7:18 AM, Dragonfly said:

I agree, the themes are all good, solid themes. There's nothing that strikes me as gimmicky. I personally like 1, 3, 8, and 9.

9 hours ago, Nirvana said:

I'd rather have Icon textures only with some things like doortrack allowed. Make people use those offsets :p

I actually think 2 would be better as "2x2 with liberal use of Icon textures"

With shameless late:

prog-inspiration.zip

Title: Plague of hangar keepers

Build time: 1 hour and 20 minutes

Theme: Monsters no lower of a caco

Music: ELP - karn Evil 9

New Textures: from Parallel Phobos Texture Pack by scifista42 and sky from XENO11.WAD (included in the wad)

Description: Trippy E1 style map, inspired by progressive rock song suite i hear while making this, in specific A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers by Van der Graaf Generator and Karn Evil 9 by ELP during the final rush.

Edited by Walter confetti : lat minute texture fix

OUR THEME IS:

Use no monsters weaker than a Cacodemon. This only permits you to use:

- cacodemons

- pain elementals

- hell knights

- barons of hell

- revenants

- mancubi

- arachnotrons

- archviles

- Spider Mastermind

- Cyberdemon

AND/OR:

Place just one monster - and make it threatening.

GET PLANNING! Gather resources, pick out a name/MIDI, draw your layout on paper, etc.

There is no mandatory texture pack this time round.

Planning time is over! GET MAPPING! You have 2 hours to map, followed by 15 mins to playtest and bugfix.