Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

Doom 3 mapping

Figured I should start a little topic to put my questions in, a few questions:

• Can you cut through a brush? Is there a clipping tool? and how do you use it?
  • Do Static models (like those landscape models) have their own collision setup? or do I have to build supporting BSP for it?
  • Can you scale Static models?
  • How do I view the default levels in the editor? Do I decompile them or something? Want to see how some things are done.

Help please!

On 12/20/2018 at 9:15 AM, tempdecal.wad said:

Do Static models (like those landscape models) have their own collision setup? or do I have to build supporting BSP for it?

I managed to make some classic Doom-like torches (just the solid part) in Blender, and after a rather long series of operations (documented on various sites), converted them to .ASE files for Doom 3. In the end, I obtained player clipping directly from the model, no need for overlapping brushes to get it. Maybe I automatically got a "collision model" or whatever, not sure. But for the monsters on the other hand, I think you'll need to place monster clip brushes, otherwise the AI would not walk properly. But I haven't gone that far to experiment it.

On 12/20/2018 at 9:15 AM, tempdecal.wad said:

How do I view the default levels in the editor? Do I decompile them or something? Want to see how some things are done.

Can't you unzip the relevant maps from the PK4 and open them in the editor?

18 minutes ago, printz said:

Can't you unzip the relevant maps from the PK4 and open them in the editor?

Oh so it's that simple? I'll try it. Thanks!

Apparently for scaling models you use a specific tool in the editor, "Model scaler", the weird thing is the scale is determind by the rotation of the model rather than separate values for scaling on each axis.

How you place collision for models is entirely up to you. Most of the time, you need do nothing more than simply place a static model in the editor. By default, the engine will make a collision model using the visual model, with no extra work required on your part. 

If you want a collision model that is different from the visual model, then use the material textures/common/collision and incorporate it into the model itself. When you do this, the game engine will only use the part of your model that uses the 'textures/common/collision' material to build the collision model. This is useful when you want to build stuff like moveable chairs that can be pushed around. If you look at the moveable objects in game, many of them have a green hull around them when viewed in the editor. That's the 'textures/common/collision' mesh. 

Hope that helps.

Edited by Caffeine Freak

On 12/24/2018 at 5:35 PM, Caffeine Freak said:

How you place collision for models is entirely up to you. Most of the time, you need do nothing more than simply place a static model in the editor. By default, the engine will make a collision model using the visual model, with no extra work required on your part. 

If you want a collision model that is different from the visual model, then use the material textures/common/collision and incorporate it into the model itself. When you do this, the game engine will only use the part of your model that uses the 'textures/common/collision' material to build the collision model. This is useful when you want to build stuff like moveable chairs that can be pushed around. If you look at the moveable objects in game, many of them have a green hull around them when viewed in the editor. That's the 'textures/common/collision' mesh. 

Hope that helps.

This helps a loot!!, but I wanna clarify something. So if I have my own .lwo model and I want the engine to generate a .cm collision model , then I only need to set the material of that model as textures/common/collision ?

The .cm file is going to be generated outside my custom .pk4 file I assume

14 hours ago, Doommarine_maxi said:

This helps a loot!!, but I wanna clarify something. So if I have my own .lwo model and I want the engine to generate a .cm collision model , then I only need to set the material of that model as textures/common/collision ?

Assuming you want the collision model to be different from the visual model, yes, that would be a way to do it. You'll need to make an entity def entry for it if your collision model is a separate model from your visual model, so that the engine knows which model to use for collision.

I'm assuming you're trying to make a custom moveable object. Or is it something else? 

Not sure how to answer the last part of your question, as I don't know what you're putting in your custom .pk4. You can export things out of radiant to .cm format, and then use those as your collision models as well.

Leaving this here just in case someone passes by this thread, to make doors move up / down rather than Slide to Left or Right add the property "movedir" and set it to -1 to make it move Up and -2 to make it move Down. had a hard time finding documentation on this one.

After so much experimentation I was finally able to make something, this is an attempt to recreate MAP01 of Doom 2 using Doom 3's assets, with a more modern layout. I have to say taking a look at how the maps of the official game are built was really helpful:

20190111174336-3.jpg

20190111203121-1.jpg

20190113131019-1.jpg

On 1/3/2019 at 9:03 AM, tempdecal.wad said:

Leaving this here just in case someone passes by this thread, to make doors move up / down rather than Slide to Left or Right add the property "movedir" and set it to -1 to make it move Up and -2 to make it move Down. had a hard time finding documentation on this one.

Clicking the 'Up/Down' buttons on the entity window does it as well. For most entities, clicking one of the eight angle settings or Up/Down on the entity panel will set their angle, but for doors, it sets their movedir.

Thanks lol, I did some counter strike mapping before so it wasn't so hard, same basics, entity classes, leaks and compiling. just a different editor interface and a couple of extra things mostly.

Edited by sluggard

Yay, awesome, new Doom 3 map, even if it's just a remake from Doom 2. Does it have a scary ambience like Doom 3 in general?

Yes, I plan to keep it close to Doom 3 in terms of atmosphere and gameplay, tight corridors and ambience sound effects.

On 12/29/2018 at 5:55 AM, Caffeine Freak said:

Assuming you want the collision model to be different from the visual model, yes, that would be a way to do it. You'll need to make an entity def entry for it if your collision model is a separate model from your visual model, so that the engine knows which model to use for collision.

I'm assuming you're trying to make a custom moveable object. Or is it something else? 

Not sure how to answer the last part of your question, as I don't know what you're putting in your custom .pk4. You can export things out of radiant to .cm format, and then use those as your collision models as well.

Yes I would like to make a custom moveable object. So I must make an entity .def, but the engine is going to generate the .cm only if I put textures/common/collision as material for my model, right?

pic.png

giphy.gif

Could use a better glass texture that's actually seamless, for some reason some of the textures say "Shader not found" in DarkRadiant, eventhough I'm pretty sure the configuration is leading to the base folder inside "steamapps/common/Doom 3" for both the fs_game and mod paths.

What the fuck I still have files for this lol, maybe I should finish it some day. It's nowhere near Phobos quality of level design but.... at least it's not just textured boxes!

Doom-3-Screenshot-2020-11-18-20-07-25-10

Doom-3-Screenshot-2020-11-18-21-00-14-41

On 11/18/2020 at 9:23 PM, sluggard said:

What the fuck I still have files for this lol, maybe I should finish it some day.

Doom-3-Screenshot-2020-11-18-21-00-14-41

Yes, I would play. Last shot has a nice Doom 64 atmosphere.