Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Any type of dead demon, from the description.

I'd exclude those that are not roughly humanoid (so cacodemon, pain elemental, arachnotron, spider mastermind, and lost soul) though. I'd also probably exclude the mancubus and cyberdemon on account on not having all their limbs; a revenantified version of them would probably keep the cyber parts. I'm going to assume spectres are already the undead version of pinky demons, because they're ghostly and their name is one associated to undead.

Of course, imps, knights & barons, and arch-viles have varying sizes and morphologies so you could expect different skeleton shapes. That's a good point, to which my retort is: #1 it's magic and #2 yeah they weren't going to make three different sprite sets.

back then i didn' read manual, and i was pretty sure that Hell just found/developed some tech akin to modern 3d printer (i like reading science fiction, and it wasn't a new concept for me), so Hell scientists simply mass-producing revenants, and then using magic to animate them. they are using only one model to make copies, that is why all revenants looks the same.

7 hours ago, Vermil said:

Which brings back the age old question of what the Revenant was before it died.

In the Doom 2 manual, it says: "Apparently when a demon dies, they pick him up, dust him off, wire him some combat gear, and send him back into battle. No rest for the wicked, eh? You wish your missiles did what his can do."

On the other hand, in a Codex entry in Doom (2016), it says: "Revenants are UAC Military operatives that have been methodically transformed into demonic combatants through cybernetic augmentation and repeated Lazarus Wave exposure. The transformation begins by attaching a Multiple Launch Rocket Battery (MLRB) onto each shoulder of the patient, coupled to an Argent-charged neural biochip implanted at the base of the cerebral cortex. The MLRB allows the Revenant to both attack its target with multiple conventional rockets, and also to fire mobility boosters located under each MLRB."

I was trying to debate if there was any difference between the Revenant's resurrection and resurrection by Arch Vile. But it didn't come out well.

13 minutes ago, Vermil said:

I was trying to debate if there was any difference between the Revenant's resurrection and resurrection by Arch Vile. But it didn't come out well.

The origin of a Revenant could be an Arch-Vile resurrection. They just but armour and rocket launchers on it afterwords I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 1/11/2019 at 5:17 PM, peach freak said:

When I read the manual as a kid, the Lost Soul description is something like "Tough. Dumb. Flies. On fire. 'Nuff said." I always thought to myself "Who's Nuff? And what does Nuff know about Lost Souls?"

A bit of a tangent but when I first played Rise of the Triad a long time ago and called up the music jukebox, the track title "Run Like Smeg" had me wondering who Smeg was and how fast did Smeg run anyway.

honestly it would be cool to have a monster that is a "not undead revenant", since the spriting opportunities could be fun (i mean you can do basically anything that fits the skeleton...). It really doesn't look like any of the other demons, with the hell nobles having a less humanoid leg shape, viles having different arms, and pretty much everything else being out of proportion.

Doom E4M5

I already knew that you could beat the level without the Yellow Key (just run through the window to the left of the Yellow Door to get to the exit room, only drawback is that you can't leave the exit room without the Yellow Key), but you also do not need the Blue Key to beat the level either. You can jump down the bloodfall to the left of the Blue Door (where there is a Soulsphere at the bottom) and then just follow the blood trail to the final part of the level. However, I don't believe there's a way back without the Blue Key. So, while E4M5 has all three keys, only the Red Key is actually needed to finish the level.

The things you learn when doing Nightmare runs...

On 1/13/2019 at 1:28 AM, Gez said:

Any type of dead demon, from the description.

I'd exclude those that are not roughly humanoid (so cacodemon, pain elemental, arachnotron, spider mastermind, and lost soul) though. I'd also probably exclude the mancubus and cyberdemon on account on not having all their limbs; a revenantified version of them would probably keep the cyber parts. I'm going to assume spectres are already the undead version of pinky demons, because they're ghostly and their name is one associated to undead.

Of course, imps, knights & barons, and arch-viles have varying sizes and morphologies so you could expect different skeleton shapes. That's a good point, to which my retort is: #1 it's magic and #2 yeah they weren't going to make three different sprite sets.

I like to think Rev's are cobbled together from various different demon bones.

I've just found out that there were other wads that Compet-N might have accepted demos for. "Seventh" was a name I didn't recognize at all, and when I looked it up I found it to be a curious choice, since Compet-N is strictly for vanilla demos and only a few of these maps (each of which is in a separate wad, but it seems they were all intended to be loaded at once) are vanilla compatible. Maybe that's why it didn't get any votes.

It's also interesting that neither Scythe nor AV are on that list. Were they already decided on?

36 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

It's also interesting that neither Scythe nor AV are on that list. Were they already decided on?

This poll was before these WADs were released. I never knew the exact results, though. Thanks for the find!

ORIGWAD's nodes have their bounding boxes inverted top-to-bottom. This is apparently what causes PrBoom to fail to render the far side of the open door (pictured, with flashing_hom set) as exchanging the appropriate pairs of numbers in the nodes lump in a copy of the wad fixed it. Chocolate Doom, it must be said, draws the unmodified map fine. I don't know what changed later on.

wD7WAHR.png

Also the order of the array of four coordinates which Doom uses to represent a bounding box is "top, bottom, left, right"

For decades until now i genuinely thought that American McGee's name was an alias...

8 minutes ago, JCST said:

For decades until now i genuinely thought that American McGee's name was an alias...

I originally thought the same.

I learned that the placement of essential items (keys) is different on easier difficulty levels in Doom and Doom II.

Yesterday I was mindlessly crapping around trying to speedrun Doom 2, exclusively using the chainsaw you get on MAP01. I'm not a skilled speedrunner and wasn't in a serious mood, so I played on "I'm Too Young To Die". I hadn't played in anything besides UV and NM in probably 20 years. I was surprised that there was a difference besides thr type and number of monsters, and thr amount of ammunition.

Doom 2 MAP05 has some ammo hidden behind the exit chamber if you can get yourself into the cacodemon alcoves to the sides of it.  If I'd ever found that before I'd forgotten about it.

When you go meet Hayden in Doom 2016, Doomguy won't holster his weapon until you go through the first door, which means you can shoot the guy. If you do so, a force field will protect him, and he'll calmly say "save your ammunition."

2 hours ago, KVELLER said:

When you go meet Hayden in Doom 2016, Doomguy won't holster his weapon until you go through the first door, which means you can shoot the guy. If you do so, a force field will protect him, and he'll calmly say "save your ammunition."

LOL, I never knew that. Someone did it in a YouTube video I just saw:

52 minutes ago, Rhebiz said:

Didnt even know there was a Doom board game

There are actually two of them now (a Doom 3 themed one, and a Doom (2016) one). The Doom 3 game also had an expansion pack.

Eventually discovered what the switch in the room to the left of the starting area on E1M1 does after having some fun with ZDoom. I've always assumed it simply unlocks progression in the map, well actually it turns out it's a faster route to the mega armor in the toxic pool outside, and it also opened a window in the upcoming area.

Also found out how you get the Soulsphere seen outside on E1M5 and that there's a secret pair of light amplification goggles in the dark room at the end. I did say I'm terrible at finding secrets didn't I?

TNT Map09:

If you examine this panel (to the left of the switch that needs the Red Key), it will lower and reveal a rectangular room, containing a single Medikit inside. Not considered a secret area so it's pretty easy to overlook (only noticed it because I saw a gray-lined room after I picked up a Computer Area Map in the level).

tntmap09panel.png

On 1/19/2019 at 4:41 PM, seed said:

Eventually discovered what the switch in the room to the left of the starting area on E1M1 does after having some fun with ZDoom. I've always assumed it simply unlocks progression in the map, well actually it turns out it's a faster route to the mega armor in the toxic pool outside, and it also opened a window in the upcoming area.

It is my understanding that Romero added that in the v. 1.9 release of Doom to improve the flow of the map for Deathmatch.

Having gotten used to playing the level in v. 1.2 shareware and v. 1.666 full game, the change did nothing for me. I don't really like it and personally, I think it hurts the overall flow of the level in single player.

TNT Map07

This is near the end of the level, beyond the Red Door. That gray/brown wall is actually a hidden door. Opening it reveals a small room with a Radiation Suit behind it (not considered a secret area, so also easy to overlook). It's diagonal from the exit door (if you had your back touching the exit door, you'd see it to your right on the bigger island). Yes, I did a TNT run through Chocolate Doom with the audio set to GUS.

tntmap07suit.png

The smoothly pulsing light sector effect appears to override the added light flashes made by weapons in sectors that have it.  This isn't the case with some of the other light specials.

I saw this video of Aqarius199 and I noticed the spawn cubes go to these exact spots only. Always thought the Icon of Sin spit them out in semi-random locations of the map, so this might be very useful if your doing a legit run of Map 30 (no mouselook). Then again maybe its just because of Antares DeHackEd patch.

While playing through Doom Classic Complete with the Guncaster mod, I found the secret exit to Fortress of Mystery by complete accident. Note that I've played Knee-Deep in the Dead for most of the time I've played Doom, and never expanded out to the other episodes.