Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

As ToD wrote in the DMP2018 thread, he's in the process of working out all the rules for this year's DMP. Once he's done figuring out what all the rules are going to be, he'll post the thread for it.

Also, the version of the DMP2018 posted in the thread is the final version. While it may not be on idgames yet, he considers the mapset to be finished.

Yeah it might be a few weeks before I start the thread for dmp2019, but it's definitely happening. Still working out the rules, but so far the maps must be compatible with zdoom 2.8.1, maps must be in hexen format (not udmf), and maps will have freelook and jumping enabled and crouching disabled (changing these things in mapinfo won't be allowed). As for textures/sprites/decorate/etc., I'm not sure yet.

5 minutes ago, TimeOfDeath666 said:

Yeah it might be a few weeks before I start the thread for dmp2019, but it's definitely happening. Still working out the rules, but so far the maps must be compatible with zdoom 2.8.1, maps must be in hexen format (not udmf), and maps will have freelook and jumping enabled and crouching disabled (changing these things in mapinfo won't be allowed). As for textures/sprites/decorate/etc., I'm not sure yet.

Just don't go too crazy with the rules. Make the rules more flexible because this is supposed to be just a fun project.

57 minutes ago, TimeOfDeath666 said:

Still working out the rules, but so far the maps must be compatible with zdoom 2.8.1

How does rocket jumping work in zdoom? is it anything like zdaemon at all?

11 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I'm pretty sure it's been the same.

1 minute ago, pc234 said:

I'm pretty sure it's been the same.

did you ever play any RJ maps on zdaemon and then tried them with zdoom, or is this just "guesswork"?

Interesting rules, I’ll try to make a map for this. Nothing wrong with shaking it up a little.

2 hours ago, Impboy4 said:

To be fair I believe DMP died when ToD made stricter rules starting with 2018. The whole point of DMP was to allow all people good and bad and all ports be used in one project to showcase what they can do.  Now it's just like any normal community project you find around here.

there were 32 maps in 2018.  that's certainly less than in recent years, but died is a real stretch.

10 hours ago, Impboy4 said:

To be fair I believe DMP died when ToD made stricter rules starting with 2018. The whole point of DMP was to allow all people good and bad and all ports be used in one project to showcase what they can do.  Now it's just like any normal community project you find around here.

Exactly. It should be a fun. Even some maps in DMP2018 were not the greatest in the world but I liked how you had to use standard Doom 2 textures.

And now with scifista42 gone. Somebody else needs to make up for him/her. But I think the mapper should have a choice of which map format to create a map in, personally I'd do limit removing or boom compatible.

7 hours ago, 7hm said:

there were 32 maps in 2018.  that's certainly less than in recent years, but died is a real stretch.

I thought that was a really good effort to get 32 maps (a full megawad's worth). My map was originally intended for Omega project but once I noticed how scifista42 suddenly became inactive in the forums I thought I'd try and give demo recording a go. After about 10-15 tries I finally beat my map and that was without slowdown mode.

4 hours ago, pcorf said:

slowdown mode

What is slowdown mode?

Anyway I hope that at least some decorate works will be accepted, even just a modification of stock stuff if ToD wants to follow the last year dogmatic rules style. I think that mapping for zdoom without decorate will be some sort of lost chance seen the zdoom port potential.

I'd like also give new textures (if not from mappers from a existing pack, like otex or cc4-tex or something similar) a chance, or if mappers wants to use their own stuff giving some restrictions like max 10 new textures... Just some ideas I thinking of.

Anyway i've already work on zdoom limit for the XUMP project (who remember that? ), if I recall correctly we can'talk use portal lines for example....

4 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

What is slowdown mode?

You can speed up or slow down Prboom plus by pressing the - and + keys on right side of the number pad far right of keyboard. The * key resets the speed.

16 hours ago, Impboy4 said:

This was all litigated last year when new rules were first announced. As was pointed out then, the rules had changed before and they could change again. ToD had his own reasons for the stricter rules. While the rules depressed turnout compared to previously, I wouldn't say they killed the project. As pcorf stated, there were 32 maps, which is a good effort. The vast majority of those who ended up not contributing were those who would map for ZDoom/UDMF, with some who didn't want to be limited to the stock resources, and a few who probably wanted to make a harder map than they could finish on UV.

Scifista's Doomworld Omega Project, which had the DMP 2017 rules, ended up having 14 maps in it. 6 of those maps were from mappers who also contributed to DMP 2018, so there were only 8 mappers who contributed to scifista's project but not ToD's. The lower number was likely due, in some part at least, to the scifista disappearing in September. I'm sure some people just said, "forget it" and worked on their own things, but that happens every year. Still, one would think that if there was such bitter discontent with ToD's 2018 rules and a longing for the previous rule set, then more people would contribute a map to the DOP.

5 hours ago, pcorf said:

And now with scifista42 gone. Somebody else needs to make up for him/her.

@obake expressed an interest in helping with a 2019 Omega-style project on that thread.

The deal breaker for me was the fact that once your map was submitted, no changes were allowed.  If bugs were found, they stayed in.

3 minutes ago, Empyre said:

The deal breaker for me was the fact that once your map was submitted, no changes were allowed.  If bugs were found, they stayed in.

Didn't ToD encourage people to make a separate thread for testing maps before submission?

Just don't go too crazy with the rules. Make the rules more flexible because this is supposed to be just a fun project.

2019 rules will be much more laid back compared to 2018, just zdoom 2.8.1 compatible, zdoom (doom in hexen) format, no demo requirement, no update limit.

To be fair I believe DMP died when ToD made stricter rules starting with 2018. The whole point of DMP was to allow all people good and bad and all ports be used in one project to showcase what they can do. Now it's just like any normal community project you find around here.

I started DMP because I had been playing hundreds of old /idgames wads, each with its own author/theme/gameplay/etc, and I thought it would be cool to have a megawad that felt like that without any quality control. The first DMP was for small/medium-sized maps with no new textures. If people don't like the rules then that's fine, but the rules have always been different.

Interesting dated format. Why? Next year; EE with extradata?

My editor can't read udmf maps. And I chose zdoom 2.8.1 compatibility because my computer can't run gl mode at all.

It's similar, but there are some differences. zdoom rjumping feels sluggish, harder to control, and pulling off combos like in zdaemon can be tricky or impossible. But it's still fun to rjump in zdoom (if there's enough health) and it has a tiny bit of air control that lets you grab onto ledges.

I thought that was a really good effort to get 32 maps (a full megawad's worth). My map was originally intended for Omega project but once I noticed how scifista42 suddenly became inactive in the forums I thought I'd try and give demo recording a go. After about 10-15 tries I finally beat my map and that was without slowdown mode.

I was really impressed by the high number of maps for the super-strict 2018 rules. Wasn't it fun beating your map in a demo? :)

Anyway I hope that at least some decorate works will be accepted, even just a modification of stock stuff if ToD wants to follow the last year dogmatic rules style. I think that mapping for zdoom without decorate will be some sort of lost chance seen the zdoom port potential. I'd like also give new textures (if not from mappers from a existing pack, like otex or cc4-tex or something similar) a chance, or if mappers wants to use their own stuff giving some restrictions like max 10 new textures... Just some ideas I thinking of.

I think you're right and all the zdoom stuff should be allowed. Then I'll just put each person's wad in a pk3 to make compiling very easy.

The deal breaker for me was the fact that once your map was submitted, no changes were allowed. If bugs were found, they stayed in.

That rule won't be in 2019. I agree it was a very strict rule, but there are always bugs and the demo requirement meant maps were at least beatable.

Didn't ToD encourage people to make a separate thread for testing maps before submission?

I was against that, I had hoped only the mapper would test their map, but it was up to them if they wanted outside testing.

Edited by TimeOfDeath666

41 minutes ago, TimeOfDeath666 said:

My editor can't read udmf maps. And I chose zdoom 2.8.1 compatibility because my computer can't run gl mode at all.

That's the whole reason? I like the choice of zdoom 2.8.1 because the lack of updates makes it reliable and would allow for sharing demos that don't desync (that, and my computer is slow and weak too). But I see much less reason for the UDMF restriction. Can your computer not run a UDMF-compatible editor either? Do you even need to open other people's maps?

On 1/16/2019 at 7:03 PM, TimeOfDeath666 said:

maps will have freelook and jumping enabled and crouching disabled (changing these things in mapinfo won't be allowed). 

Looks like I'll be using my jump platforming map idea for this year's DMP ;)

...and it will have LOTS of crates :P

13 hours ago, TimeOfDeath666 said:

My editor can't read udmf maps

Hm you use Eureka don't you @TimeOfDeath666? I know the struggles, until I got my laptop I could only use eureka on my town's library computers since you can't install .NET framework without admin ;( (i lamented about this quite a bit in some of my earlier posts) Oh well you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes when you want to make doom maps I suppose

21 hours ago, TimeOfDeath666 said:

Thanks. That makes sense.

Sorry, I've decided not to have a DMP this year. I can't sit at a desk and handle a keyboard/mouse normally anymore, so I'd rather not keep a thread updated and compile a megawad etc. I thought about letting someone else organize it this year, but I don't want another scifista incident. Hopefully next year.

I mean... DMP is yours, but i would love to have something like the omegaproject last year, and since there is no DMP this year, It might actually be popular!