Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blake00

Star Trek Doom Project (GZDoom Doom 2 mod) v0.4b WIP

*******************************************************************************************************
UPDATE 3 - 20/01/2019

MOD FIXED! GZDoom's Graf Zahl has saved my bacon lol and helped me finally solve the mystery issues with my Mapinfo that affected my mod from version 1.9 onwards. I've fixed the mod and it appears to work just fine with the latest versions of GZDoom! :) I've updated my download links with the corrected files. :)

Older Updates:

*******************************************************************************************************
UPDATE 2 - 21/08/2017

WARNING: This mod no longer works with the latest versions of GZDoom! Most of the music tracks don't play (unless triggered by a script event), the sky's are all wrong, it ignores my cluster settings and end up up with Doom story cr*p at the end of the demo instead of my stuff. Clearly it's not liking my old MAPINFO and I'm stumped as to how to fix it. :( Until I resolve these issues I recommend you play my mod with GZDoom 1.8.2 or ZDoom 2.7.1. Apologies for the inconvenience.

If anyone can see the issue with my MAPINFO please let me know!

UPDATE 1 - 07/07/2017

Hi guys,

Been a crazy few months since releasing my Star Trek Doom and Quest for Glory IV 3D Hexen mods to the world last year. I originally thought that my Star Trek Doom level would be the big hit but boy was I wrong lol! QFG4-3D got featured in January on Rock, Paper Shotgun! and then if that wasn't crazy enough PC Gamer the largest gaming mag in the world decided to do a feature QFG4-3D in the number 1 spot of their top 10 downloads section! They did this in both their March US and Feb UK editions. I couldn't believe it as my stuff is a joke compared to the amazing mods they normally feature lol!! I'd been getting PC Gamer UK since I was a boy and never once did I ever think that something I'd made would end up in their magazine. Almost brought a happy tear to my eye.. almost haha. :P

However unfortunately that's where the good news ends..

I've been informed from fans that both my mods are no longer working with the newest versions of GZDoom. I'm guessing there were some big changes as so much stuff is broken now. :( I'll look into trying to fix everything!

ORIGINAL POST - 03/12/2016

Hi guys :)

I figured it was finally time to drop by the Doom communities and publicly announce my 2 ZDoom projects, this one is my Doom 2 mod, the Star Trek Doom project.

I originally worked on and off the Star Trek Doom project from 1997 to 2012. I had almost all but given up on ever working on it properly again but people just kept contacting me about it over the years and I finally decided to really go for it again! So I resumed the project in 2016 and have totally redesigned & remastered EVERYTHING for GZDoom. STDoom is a total conversion single player mod for Doom 2 with the GZDoom enhancement (also looks pretty good in ZDoom). The mod contains new levels, textures, decoration, weapons, monsters, NPCs, cutscenes, music & sounds taking players on an old-school linear 3D action adventure set on the Enterprise D & a Borg cube!

To train myself up for the resurrection of Star Trek Doom I also worked on a Quest for Glory IV 3D Hexen mod that takes you on an action packed adventure in the dark land of Mordavia. In the end it became an even bigger project than STDoom lol.

The year is 2371 and the Enterprise-D is in its seventh year of service (Between Season 7 & Generations Film), you play a young junior Lieutenant sent out to test upgrades on a shuttlecraft when a futuristic Borg cube emerges from a temporal portal launching a devastating attack on the Enterprise. After seeing the Borg Cube destroyed by Species 8472 emerging from the same time portal you decide to return to the Enterprise to try and help take back the ship. Obviously since such events are not possible in the canon/prime timeline I had to do some ‘creative thinking’ story wise to make it happen (basically I had to do a JJ Abrams lol) which hopefully diehards will be okay with since after all this is just a bit of fun! :)

My goal has always been to create a wild adventure on the Enterprise D that has you believing you're there (well at least in the boundaries of the ancient Doom engine lol), and I'm happy to say the project reboot has been a success! All old areas, monsters and weapons have been rebuilt 10x better, many new areas have been added, and I've completely finished everything I wanted to do for my first public demo.

Hope you guys enjoy this first demo below. Be warned that it will likely be a while before there's another demo, I've spent nearly 2 years on this & my other QFG4 3D Hexen project and have sacrificed a lot. I'm burnt out & want to do other things, including getting back to PLAYING games instead of making them lol!

Screenshot23.png Screenshot01.png Screenshot03.png Screenshot20.png
Screenshot13.png Screenshot02.png Screenshot17.png Monster06B.gif

For more information, more screenshots, animations+descriptions of all weapons & monsters you'll face, and of course the download links for the demo and required files check out my STDoom websites here:

- Star Trek Doom Project Homepage
- NEW Star Trek Doom Project ModDB Page

Weapon06A.gifMonster05A.gifMonster10A.gifWeapon05A.gif

If you just want to see it without all the hassle then here's a playthrough/walkthrough video series I made..

Part 1 - Type 7 Shuttle, Transporter Room, Turbolift, Corridors, Holodeck, Jefferies Tubes, Shuttle Bay, Type 6 Shuttle & Borg Cube Arrvial.
NPZeGvn.png

Part 2 - Borg Cube, Borg Queen boss fight, Enterprise D Bridge & EARLY DRAFT Engineering Species 8472 boss fight.
https://youtu.be/yKR4-79l8-k?list=PL7817AA04A236E9F7

Note: My wad contains some things from Realm667 mod packs and a few other mod packs. They have been credited in my ReadMe file.

--------
BGx3xEC.gif
Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods: Quest for Glory 4 3D Hexen, Star Trek Doom 2, & Star Wars Civilization 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls Series, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory Series, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- Movie & TV Shrines: Lord Of The Rings & Hobbit, & Star Trek
- Emulation

Edited by Blake00

Looks pretty fuggin dope. (big fan of star trek)
Only thing (based on the screenshots) that irks me at at all is the weapon offset should be a bit further from center. To match perspective.

Hoping for Zandronum compatibility.

Thanks everyone. :)

Revae said:

Looks pretty fuggin dope. (big fan of star trek)
Only thing (based on the screenshots) that irks me at at all is the weapon offset should be a bit further from center. To match perspective.

Hoping for Zandronum compatibility.

I'd love to as well however the outgoing sprites for weapons fire shoot from the centre of the screen which means the end of the weapon needs to be in the centre otherwise it looks like the outgoing shots are coming out nowhere near the weapon (eg think of what it would look like if you saw the plasma ball or BFG ball firing with no gun in front of it). So if there's a way to modify where outgoing weapons fire first appears on your screen then someone let me know otherwise there's not much I can do about this.

No plans for multiplayer at this stage sorry. But I'll never say never lol.

MinerOfWorlds said:

Looks awesome i can't to play this! will there be zdoom support?

While my mod is primarily designed for GZDoom for all the nice lighting effects etc I've tested the level in regular ZDoom and it looks pretty good, had no epic slow downs so if you prefer ZDoom over GZDoom then go for it. :)

Damn, a Star Trek wad is announced just as I'm getting to the thick of Deep Space Nine. Too bad it takes place before the Dominion War since it would be cool to see Changelings disguised as enemies/scenery, Jem'Hadar Troops, etc. As for the Borg though, you should have no problem finding species to "assimilate" into the enemies list. The project looks promising thus far.

Blake00 said:

While my mod is primarily designed for GZDoom for all the nice lighting effects etc I've tested the level in regular ZDoom and it looks pretty good, had no epic slow downs so if you prefer ZDoom over GZDoom then go for it. :)

I don't prefer zdoom over gzdoom but my laptop is slow and can't run gzdoom that well.

I didn't know if it used gzdoom only things.

Why are the screen shots blurry?

Blake00 said:

if there's a way to modify where outgoing weapons fire first appears on your screen then someone let me know otherwise there's not much I can do about this.

Use A_FireCustomMissile. The spawnofs_horz and spawnheight parameters will help you position where the shot comes from. You will probably have to use some trail-and-error to get the position just right.

MinerOfWorlds said:

I don't prefer zdoom over gzdoom but my laptop is slow and can't run gzdoom that well.

I didn't know if it used gzdoom only things.

Why are the screen shots blurry?

GZDoom blurs all textures & sprites. Which annoyed me at first hence why I designed my 2015 QFG Hexen level to be for ZDoom. But then in 2016 I started playing around with GZDoom's awesome glowing light effects I realised I could do a far better Enteprise interirors if I designed STDoom for GZDoom, and I'll probably switch my QFG Hexen level to GZDoom down the track too. GZDoom's bluriness became 'worth it' to get all the cool lighting effects. But like I said before both my mods work just fine in both ZDoom & GZDoom so all I do is recommend which one it's best in and then it's up to players to decide which one they really want. If you like oldschool Doom look & perfect pixels then go ZDoom. If you like more atmosphere, cool lighting effects, imperfections smoothed out, and higher frame rates in large complicated areas then go GZDoom.

Interesting that GZDoom runs worse for you, with me I get huge slow downs & stuttering in my large QFG Hexen town area in ZDoom yet with GZDoom it barely even drops a frame. And I don't even have a graphics card lol, just rocking a cr*py intel 4000 in the cpu haha.

Empyre said:

Use A_FireCustomMissile. The spawnofs_horz and spawnheight parameters will help you position where the shot comes from. You will probably have to use some trail-and-error to get the position just right.

Thanks man! :) I'll have to have a play with this for the next version.

The screenshots look pretty good, but I would like to advise you to host your images on Imgur instead of Microsoft's server. They are super slow to load for me.

MinerOfWorlds said:

You can turn off texture filtering (blurriness) in display options > opengl options > texture options to have the perfect pixel look like zdoom.

Oh that's brilliant! I didn't realise you could do that. Now I can get the best of both worlds lol.

Agentbromsnor said:

The screenshots look pretty good, but I would like to advise you to host your images on Imgur instead of Microsoft's server. They are super slow to load for me.

More my fault then microsofts as I uploaded high quality pngs instead of heavily compressed jpgs. But you're like the 4th person to suggest or ask why I'm not using Imgur so clearly I need to look into it for future image hosting haha!

Hi guys,

Been a crazy few months since releasing my Star Trek Doom and Quest for Glory IV 3D Hexen mods to the world last year. I originally thought that my Star Trek Doom level would be the big hit but boy was I wrong lol! QFG4-3D got featured in January on Rock, Paper Shotgun! and then if that wasn't crazy enough PC Gamer the largest gaming mag in the world decided to do a feature QFG4-3D in the number 1 spot of their top 10 downloads section! They did this in both their March US and Feb UK editions. I couldn't believe it as my stuff is a joke compared to the amazing mods they normally feature lol!! I'd been getting PC Gamer UK since I was a boy and never once did I ever think that something I'd made would end up in their magazine. Almost brought a happy tear to my eye.. almost haha. :P

However unfortunately that's where the good news ends..

I've been informed from fans that both my mods are no longer working with the newest versions of GZDoom. I'm guessing there were some big changes as so much stuff is broken now. :(

My Star Trek Doom wad will load if added to the GZDoom ini as usual, however if I try to load any of the levels in DoomBuilder using the new GZDoom as the test engine the game fails to start due to me getting this error:
Script error, "STDoomExtras.wad:DECORATE" line 2356:
Script error, "STDoomExtras.wad:DECORATE" line 2356:
Tried to define class 'Leaf1' more than twice in the same file.
It wasn't be defined twice before and it still isn't now so I don't know what that one's about as the holodeck forest leaves still work just fine when the game is started the other way.
Then even if you do get into the game I've discovered that nearly all my star trek music tracks are no longer playing (unless its a track triggered by a linedef event) and it just plays doom tracks (main menu & end sequences appear to sound fine though), my sky's seem to be mixed up now (presumably the default lvl 1,2,3 etc sky settings overriding mine), I'm now getting the stupid Doom Score/kills screen in-between my level jumps, I'm no longer getting my intermission briefing screen when going from cluster 1 to cluster 2, and finally I seem to get a regular Doom Intermission briefing screen at the end of the game before my end game intermission sequences. So clearly a lot of my old MAPINFO stuff is no longer compatible with the newer GZDooms.

As for my Quest For Glory 4-3D wad that wouldn't even load all! Just via adding to the GZDoom ini and trying to start it triggers this error:
Script error, "QFG4_3D.wad:DECORATE" line 2298:
Expected '(', got 'WRTH'.
This part isn't my stuff and is from the 'Chiller' monster from Realm 667. Appears to no longer like the fact that the author ProjectAngel uses the "A_Jump" command without any parameters. The wiki talks about it have a jump chance range of 0-255 so I don't know what value using A_Jump on its own originally did but for now I just chucked in a (0,0) to shut it up and that got me into the game lol. However much like with Star Trek Doom if I try to load any of the levels in DoomBuilder using the new GZDoom as the test engine the game fails to start due to me getting another error:
Script error, "QFG4_3DExtras.wad:DECORATE" line 4060:
Script error, "QFG4_3DExtras.wad:DECORATE" line 4060:
Tried to define class 'Wizard' more than twice in the same file.
Like with the leaf I don't get why the new GZDoom is unhappy about Wizard as its not being used twice and it's not complaining about my Paladin & Thief characters which are setup the same way.
Then just like with ST Doom even if you do get into the game I've discovered that nearly all my QFG music tracks are no longer playing (unless its a track triggered by a linedef event) and it just plays Hexen tracks (main menu & end sequences appear to sound fine though), I can't access my Wizard character start (likely due to the above issue), flame torches don't light up in level 1, my sky's seem to be mixed up now (presumably the default lvl 1,2,3 etc sky settings), I'm no longer getting my intermission briefing screen when going from cluster 1 to cluster 2 and it seems to play elsewhere at the wrong moment (presumably using default hexen level clusters instead of mine), I now can't seem to exit via the hotel window which is was just a linedef level teleport from 14 to 15 making the demo unfinishable (visit cheat seems to take me to hexen levels instead of mine from 14 onwards), and as a result I can't test my end game intermission sequences so who knows whether they're broken too. So once again clearly a lot of my old MAPINFO stuff is no longer compatible with the newer GZDooms.

Before anyone says it yes I have no doubt that these problems are due to newer versions of GZDoom being less tolerant of bad coding lol! Unfortunately I'm rather useless at Doomscript so I have no idea how to fix these problems at this stage so for the moment my wads are unplayable unless you're using an older GZDoom version (the wads were originally built & tested using GZDoom 1.8.2 and ZDoom 2.7.1 ). Sorry guys!!! :(

Got some help on the double issues elsewhere. Doombuilder was loading my assets and because I already had them in the GZDoom ini it was double loading them (the old GZDoom obviously let me get away with it haha). That solved the double leaf issue (as there's no leaf in Doom) and I renamed the Wizard to WIT-Wizard (you're a graduate from QFG's Wizard's Institute of Technocery so that'll do for now lol) to solve the double Wizard problem as there's a Wizard in Hexen that the old GZDoom didn't care about me overriding.

So far as I can tell all that's left are the music, skys and cluster group bugs in both STDoom & QFG4-3DHexen which all point to the new GZDoom not liking my old MAPINFO.

You could use Tag "Wizard" in your WIT-Wizard class to make the player see it as Wizard.

I have already previewed this project on YouTube and your website prior to you posting this forum. There is a few things that I would like to point out.

1. Why is there a lightsaber? There is no lightsaber in Star Trek. You can probably use the Klingon bat'leth instead.
  2. Why are the weapons on the left side of the screen? Most first person Star Trek games the weapon sits on the right side of the screen if not in the center.
  3. You can hijack the weapon models from Star Trek: Elite Force 2. They are really nice and it even contains a bat'leth. If you feel that you need extra weapons you can take them from Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force to round out all the weapon slots. That is if you know how to do such a thing.

Doom with a startrek paint job is so 10years ago and to put it bluntly unless its a complete total conversion its not worth doing in my opinion. When you take a name like startrek, aliens, quakechampions, an the infinite number of inimitable things then you automatically set yourself up to meet a certain standard which would ultimately fail unless your very good.
My advise would be to come up with something new and fresh, even if it means "borrowing" certain elements from other things.

This 2016 thread is over a year old and I've released no new versions so its a bit strange that this thread have been dug up in 2018 for a fresh load of criticisms & questions lol.. especially when nearly all of them are already answered.. you're a trifecta of skim readers haha.. but hey all interest is appreciated so okay sure I'll answer them. :)

22 hours ago, Benjamín said:

Where is the link ???

Right in the middle of the top post between the pictures and animations. They are pretty sexy so I can understand them distracting from the link. :P I'll post it again here:
Blake's Sanctum – Star Trek Doom

Go to the downloads section and you'll see links for the demo and the exact version of GZDoom required for it work (doesn't work with the latest sadly). Hope you enjoy! :)

21 hours ago, Halfblind said:

I have already previewed this project on YouTube and your website prior to you posting this forum. There is a few things that I would like to point out.

1. Why is there a lightsaber? There is no lightsaber in Star Trek. You can probably use the Klingon bat'leth instead.
  2. Why are the weapons on the left side of the screen? Most first person Star Trek games the weapon sits on the right side of the screen if not in the center.
  3. You can hijack the weapon models from Star Trek: Elite Force 2. They are really nice and it even contains a bat'leth. If you feel that you need extra weapons you can take them from Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force to round out all the weapon slots. That is if you know how to do such a thing.

1. No offense but your username is very appropriate to your post mate hahaha :P as I guess your preview through all my material must have been very 'brief'. The Plasma torch is explained on the website (weapons section), demo documentation, both video descriptions (literally in the first paragraph) and in the video itself as an annotation in the middle of the screen when I picked up the weapon. But okay here it is from the website just for you..
Plasma Torch: "Yeah we all know it’s a lightsabre but I’m trying to keep this in canon okay? ;) An overloaded plasma torch can be quite deadly in close range combat! The terrorists at Arkaria Base certainly seemed to think so. Use it when caught in a tight space or when your other weapons are low on energy."

However I may change it to a Bat'leth in the future but that's far less likely to be sitting there then a plasma torch. :P

2. Yes a few people have complained about that. I had no idea that was such an important thing to people back at the time so don't worry I'll fix it in the next release.

3. Jeez you really did have a brief look didn't you haha. The type 3 phaser rifle (plasma gun) IS from Elite Force and the Tetryon Pulse Launcher (BFG) IS also from Elite Force. And all weapon slots have been filled. You're advising me to do things I've already done haha! Check out the weapons section on my website for pics and more info on all weapons if you don't feel like watching the entire videos.

20 hours ago, Ermi said:

Doom with a startrek paint job is so 10years ago and to put it bluntly unless its a complete total conversion its not worth doing in my opinion. When you take a name like startrek, aliens, quakechampions, an the infinite number of inimitable things then you automatically set yourself up to meet a certain standard which would ultimately fail unless your very good.
My advise would be to come up with something new and fresh, even if it means "borrowing" certain elements from other things.

Lol thanks for the advice pal. I guess your visit was even more brief than Halfblinds lol. 10yrs is a bit off as STDoom is a 21.. yes.. 21 year old project. It's been a labour of love that I've worked at on & off over all those years. I realise Doom mods are yesterdays news and I know my talents are limited but I do it for fun. If others enjoy the work then that's a bonus. If others (eg you) don't they can move along to the next project. There's plenty to choose from! I'm hardly going to throw away a 21yr old project to go and do basically what EVERYONE else is doing and nor would anyone else for that matter so why bother even saying that. If I never do another version well at least there's the current demo that allows people to use all the weapons, explore parts of the Enterprise and battle of the Borg on a Borg cube. If you look at the handful of other Trek mods for Doom out there you'll see they're not even close to mine for total conversion status. Plus I already have another project which I've also released demo for, my QFG4-3D project. That one sort of exploded unexpectedly into the limelight after it was featured on Rock, Paper Shotgun and PC Gamer magazine UK & US editions so maybe that one won't disappoint you as much lol. Link is in the top post but I'll chuck a link here:
Quest for Glory IV 3D Hexen

MOD FIXED! GZDoom's Graf Zahl has saved my bacon lol and helped me finally solve the mystery issues with my Mapinfo that affected my mod from GZDoom version 1.9 onwards. I've fixed the mod and it appears to work just fine with the latest versions of GZDoom! :) I've updated my download links in my original post with the updated demo files and documentation. :)

Since this is just a bug fix release I've changed the version number from v0.4 to v0.4b .

This is one of the most bizarre Doom projects I have ever seen. It's an incredible amalgam of modern mapping techniques with sprites and gameplay straight out of a 1997 TC. The weapons are literally just standard doom guns with different sprites while simultaneously using GZDoom which would be capable of creating actual phaser beams! The enemies are just common doom monsters with replacement sprites who act identical to their doom counterparts. All of this while freeaiming levels with full 3d floors and intricate fog and lighting effects. It's just all so bizarre and I don't know whether this project was released in 2019 or 1999!

9 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

This is one of the most bizarre Doom projects I have ever seen. It's an incredible amalgam of modern mapping techniques with sprites and gameplay straight out of a 1997 TC. The weapons are literally just standard doom guns with different sprites while simultaneously using GZDoom which would be capable of creating actual phaser beams! The enemies are just common doom monsters with replacement sprites who act identical to their doom counterparts. All of this while freeaiming levels with full 3d floors and intricate fog and lighting effects. It's just all so bizarre and I don't know whether this project was released in 2019 or 1999!

In a way you've almost answered your own question and I pretty much explain the history behind the mod in the OP. Parts feel like 1999 cause it was started in 1997 and worked on the early 2000s as a run of the mill default classic Doom 2 wad lol. In 2016 I converted the mod from a classic Doom 2 level to a GZDoom level. In that process the levels were completely redesigned and rebuilt (hence their modern feel) while the weapons and monsters remained relatively the same but with little improvements to the sprites here and there (hence their classic feel) and a few stats played with (eg more HP for Borgs). I realise ZDoom allows for all sorts of fancy things monsters and weapons wise however I'm not a programmer and to be honest I was quite happy with the classic setup.

Hey if you know someone who's done phaser/laser beams in their level then link me lol! I have no idea how to do that and I haven't seen anyone else do it so I can't 'borrow' their code either lol.