Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
obake

The Omega Project 2019 near final release

12 minutes ago, obake said:

One new sky is allowed for each map, if an author wishes to use one (and it will not count towards the new texture limit.)

Question: are skyboxes proper (six textures folded into a box) allowed? If so, I might have a couple I'd like to use.

I might try my hand at a small* map for this, regardless.

*Small in this context means the map will likely take ten or fifteen minutes to complete.

1 hour ago, obake said:

zdoom/GZDoom

Does this mean that there will be no vanilla, limit-removing, or Boom maps for the DOP 2019? Or just that whatever your mapping format, it has to be playable in ZDoom/GZDoom?

1 hour ago, obake said:

However, after a mapper has submitted their map, their new textures will become available to all other people in the project, and will not count towards the five limit.

I like this idea. Will the new textures be grouped into a resource pack that will be added to the OP after each submission (the resource pack would, of course, have to be revised each time)?

18 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Question: are skyboxes proper (six textures folded into a box) allowed? If so, I might have a couple I'd like to use.

I might try my hand at a small* map for this, regardless.

Absolutely! I actually didn't know that is how skyboxes worked. :)

17 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Will the new textures be grouped into a resource pack that will be added to the OP after each submission (the resource pack would, of course, have to be revised each time)?

Yes. I'll do my best to quickly update the resource pack whenever a new map is posted. I'm glad you like the idea!

17 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Does this mean that there will be no vanilla, limit-removing, or Boom maps for the DOP 2019? Or just that whatever your mapping format, it has to be playable in ZDoom/GZDoom?

Hmm. I guess the rule should be that whatever format they are in, the maps should be playable in Zdoom/GZdoom. I'd encourage mappers to map for Zdoom or GZdoom, even if the maps are simple and don't use much/any fancy effects. But if a mapper wants to make a map in a different format, they are sure free!

23 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

A question I was thinking today: how's the map will be ordered, by date or by difficulty?

Well, I have an idea that involves separating the maps into different categories via a hub:

• Beginners Circle, maps from new mappers
  • Intermediate Median, maps that are a little more advanced
  • Pro Area, maps from veteran mappers
  • Jokes on You*, silly maps
  • Slaughterhouse, slaughter maps
  • Best in Show, showcasing my top three favorite maps of the set
  • Campaign, where the player goes through each submitted map (minus the joke maps), ordered by difficulty level.

*I'm not against joke maps in principle. The late Kate Stone's map from the DWMP 2013 is an example of a silly map done right. It's short, strange, and also beatable.

Whenever a map is submitted, the mapper should say what category they are aiming for (with the exceptions of Best in Show and Campaign.) What are your guy's thoughts on this idea of separating maps?

So I'll be coming up with a small resource pack soon, as a start for mappers. I'm thinking it will be somewhere around five new textures/flats (I've already made a few), and a new monster. Mappers are not required to use any of the stuff that will be included.

It will also be the same resource pack that will expand as mappers add new textures.

I'm also wondering if I should allow mappers to add one custom DECORATE item, and have those stack up with each new map submitted, as well.

Here are some nice items to have for mappers, copied-and-pasted from my Empyrion map set.  They are just like the standard version except they are not solid, so they won't block the player's movement.  Their DoomEd numbers are the standard items' numbers + 15000.  Rename them if you want.  You could extend the idea to other lamps that I didn't include because I didn't need them for my maps.

Spoiler

ACTOR EmpBlueTorch : BlueTorch 15044
{
  -SOLID
}

ACTOR EmpShortBlueTorch : ShortBlueTorch 15055
{
  -SOLID
}

ACTOR EmpGreenTorch : GreenTorch 15045
{
  -SOLID
}

ACTOR EmpShortGreenTorch : ShortGreenTorch 15056
{
  -SOLID
}

ACTOR EmpRedTorch : RedTorch 15046
{
  -SOLID
}

ACTOR EmpShortRedTorch : ShortRedTorch 15057
{
  -SOLID
}

ACTOR EmpColumn : Column 17028
{
  -SOLID
}

ACTOR EmpCandelabra : Candelabra 15035
{
  -SOLID
}

ACTOR EmpHeadsOnAStick : HeadsOnAStick 15028
{
  -SOLID
}

ACTOR EmpHeadOnAStick : HeadOnAStick 15027
{
  -SOLID
}

2 hours ago, obake said:

So I'll be coming up with a small resource pack soon, as a start for mappers. I'm thinking it will be somewhere around five new textures/flats (I've already made a few), and a new monster. Mappers are not required to use any of the stuff that will be included.

Will said resource pack have a waterfall texture? I've had to use COMPBLUE as a placeholder in the meantime.

16 hours ago, Novaseer said:

Will said resource pack have a waterfall texture? I've had to use COMPBLUE as a placeholder in the meantime.

Yes.

So the official release of the starting resource pack will be tomorrow. It won't be anything spectacular, just a waterfall, a new animated blood texture, a flesh texture, and brick texture, plus some small decorations, and one new marine monster. But with each new map, the resources will expand.

As for your question, Voltcom, I am not sure what it means to crossport. I assume you mean that all the maps should be in zdoom. My stance is that doing so would make things easier to compile. However, if a mapper chooses to map in another format, I say they are free to do so, as long as the map is able to be ported to zdoom. If I remember correctly, most maps of other formats can be placed in a zdoom wad and still work. 

I guess we'll see how things pan out. This is definitely a work in progress. :)

Crosspost means posting also in other forums, as other people suggest here to post about this project on zdoom forums...

Oh, I see now. Sorry for the confusion. The answer is yes, it should be crossported to the Zdoom forums. Since I lost my password to my account there, one of you may be able to take charge there. 

Looks great so far, Voltcom!

Version 1 of the resource wad has been added. It has five new textures, a new monster, and two new decorations. Here is a baseline for how to list credits for each resource added:

Resource credits:

• UAC-Goon sprites are from id Software, edited by Obake
  • FFLS (flesh), BLID (bleeding flesh), THEAT (doors), and OBBRIC5 (brown brick) textures are new from Obake
  • N_WFAL (waterfall) textures are from Nick Baker on Realm667, from the Nightmare Texture Pack 2
  • EmpColumns and EmpCandelabra sprites are original from id Software, edited by Empyre here on Doomworld.

Note, I am still coming up with ideas on regulating DECORATE resources, so don't add any other DECORATE stuff (outside of what is already in this resource) until I figure it all out.

Hope 2nd attempt will work.

If I'll break my "mean duty to my mean motherland" chains i'll join too. It's to know how hard to retire from russian army if you assigned to contact that supposed to be pretty breakable but in reality, well... It's not that easy.

Fun jokewad, reminded me of good stuff from woo, maybe add little more health (a pair of stimpack, even just health potion scattered around) at the sewer section at the left of the map, but over this I didn't find any other serious bugs.

About my map, i'm on pause since I have to finish 2 other maps for 2 other projects, but i still work on it!