Sephiroth

would u now?

joining military for allies  

29 members have voted

1. 1. joining military for allies

• yes
    • no
    • depends on circumstances

before my senior year started i was planning to join the military for college money. not only that i am sure it would help me be more disaplined and better focused. then 9/11 hit and i soon decided not too, at least till things cooled down. however things have yet to cool down and i may have to wait until bush is out of office to do anything. a guy we know is over in assganastan(yes i ment that) and has only returned home for 2 weeks this year. he has killed many people up close including a guy who surindered. he was between 2 guys and figured as soon as he turned to shoot the armed guy the other would shoot him. he got a minor fine for it. there is still heavy fighting in many parts, he was holding off an attack on a air strip. Personaly i dont want to kill people unless i am defending myself. i would rather be sent to a place like bosnia, chances are i would be, because that is near my home. I understand the fighting some of those people are doing, yet all sides have gone too far. i dont like seeing people of my blood murdered, but they at points did it too. no one deserves that and a international military should be formed to put an end to such things.

also i just thought, what would a unified earth government be like? what would u want it to be? how long do u think, given current events for one to form?

hey get the ball rolling, i got to go now but i will be back to post more

I'd never go to a war, unless something Über-important happens to make me change my mind and beat the shit out of other people.

[personnal thought] War is for losers [/personnal thought]

I'm not planning to join the military ever. I kinda figure that if there are no soldiers there can be no war. A bit lame you might think but it works for me.

A unified earth government? Well I don't know if that would be such a good idea. This goverment would have to represent the entire earth's population. The more people you have to represent the worst you become in doing so. (hope that makes any sense).

On the other hand it could help third world countries. A unified earth government could end the leeching from these countries by first world countries and see to it that food and resources are distributed equally.

I Plan to join the air force (as a computer technician) to get my shit together.

(That's got nothing to do with the so called 'Terrorist Threat' it's something I’ve planned to do long before any of that came about.)

Keep in mind: The Army (and the Navy and the Air Force) have a lot of services other than combat and combat support. There are computer technicians, repair/resupply technicians, instrument operators, cooks, traffic coordinators... did you know each aircraft carrier has a slot for a disc jockey? Just because you're enlisting doesn't mean you'll end up on the front line. Sure, you have to go through boot camp, but once that's done you can request one of the many many many support roles that the Army needs.

And don't believe all the bullshit about a national draft. If the country is so desparate that it needs to draft soldiers, it's already too late.

yea i know i would not be directly on the front line. disk jockey eh?! i would most likly be some sort of technical guy. however that would not mean i would not be on the battel field. personaly i think boot camp is something every one should try. gives a person disapline, which i need.

what about my unified earth government? personaly i think it would be a good idea, but would take a long time because humans are really stupid and tend to be asshats about everthing.

I would never join the military, not even if it there was a draft. I would be a conciencous(sp) objector (if that still applies). I just don't believe in my gov't or this world enough to fight in senseless armed conflict.

unified gov't, eh. I'm not a christian, but I know that in the book of revelations a unified world gov't is a sign of the end times.

/looks suspiciously at the EU o_0

Hell fucking no. I could think about joining some revolutionary force if the circumstances were given, though.

Me join the army? No way!
Violence is the enemy and it cannot be fought with violence...

IMJack:
Sure, you have to go through boot camp, but once that's done you can request one of the many many many support roles that the Army needs.

In boot camp the (mostly young) enlisteds are train not only physically but mostly psychologically. Their minds are trained to follow and obey. They are submitted to the doctrine of glorified violence. Murder and infliction of pain are taught to be both necessary and justifiable.

I don`t recall who said it and the words may be of but a wise man once said: "I often hear you are willing to die for your country, but never do you mention the killing for it..."

Sure you could take another job in the military, one that doesn`t involve killing another man, but you`ll still be part of the killing machine/ system. You`ll be wearing the killers uniform; eating the killers food; talking the killers talk; walking the killers walk; thinking the killers thoughts...
Is that really what you want? I sure don`t!

I don`t expect everyone to choose the long road of pacifism so I you want to join, please do, but I`d rather see you here on DoomWorld ;-)

Heh, not a single 'yes', yet (not even me)! If my country needed me, I think I'd join. Going to war to assist another country to prove a point? Nah, don't think so

m0l0t0v said:

You`ll be wearing the killers uniform; eating the killers food; talking the killers talk; walking the killers walk; thinking the killers thoughts...
Is that really what you want?

If it means I get to survive, sure.

Although I don't plan on going into any armed force. I'm way too clumsy.

Sephiroth said:

personaly i think boot camp is something every one should try. gives a person disapline, which i need.

Hah!!!
I was in the army for about a year and the only thing it did to me was lower my self discipline and made me further lose my respect for the authorities. Why the fuck should I work my ass off to please my superiors when they're never pleased no matter what I do?

In Finland you HAVE to go to army, i'm going early next year. I have only one word to say about that: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :(

Killing people for own country is stupid idea anyway, if I ever have to go to war, I don't know if I'm able to actually kill anyone. I don't think the people attacking me are any worse persons than me, so why should they die and why should I live instead? They propably attack only because they are told to anyway, not because they want to.

I can't. I'm bisexual and I have mild epilepsy which requires me to take medicine daily. I probably would be expelled for violating the "Don't ask, don't tell" rule. Heh

If I'm unfortunate, I'll be forced to serve the forces of evil next year. I'll do my best to fail the phys test though.

Just say you are gay and they'll dismiss you immediatly. Gay or bisexuals aren't allowed in the military. Talk about discrimination! Heh

@ m0l0t0v: You've already heard dsm's response. Next time you se Lüt, ask him what boot camp was like.

Hey, a good friend of mine went through the Army; he was an infantryman with an M-14 sniper rifle, and rather good at what he did. The man lays enough guilt on himself without folks who enjoy guilt tripping him further, even if he cared about what made other people feel good. Yet you will never find a more intelligent and wise person.

OK, so I`ve never been to boot camp nor have I ever killed an other human being; that does not mean I can`t have an opinion on the subject.
In the city where I grew up there was a military training camp. I know a lot of people who went there. They all believe in the power of violence and most of them never even heard of the word pacifism. I`m sorry to say, that sickens me. Men and women are systematically trained to kill and given guns to do so. Murder and war have become policy and that worries me a lot!

The man lays enough guilt on himself without folks who enjoy guilt tripping him further, even if he cared about what made other people feel good. Yet you will never find a more intelligent and wise person.

It may sound cruel of me to say, but he should feel guilty IMO. The guy made a conscious decision to take other peoples lives and now he must live with it for rest of his life.
I don`t hate individual soldiers and I don`t feel it`s my duty to make them feel guilty, but I do hate the system that creates them. Like I said: " Murder and war have become policy and that worries me a lot."

@ Fredrik & DooMer 4ever: You have a CHOICE! No-one can force you. They can give you a hard time; call you a coward and more, but If you betray yourself you will lose far more.

I know it`s easy for me to say, living in a country with an army of volunteers only (except in war time; everyone can be drafted), but if I were to be drafted I`d fight it with all me energy. It sounds cliche but: "FIGHT WAR; NOT WARS".

You can remain silent and fight the wars or
You can speak up and fight the system!
(easier said then done; I know)

i just signed up for the selective service system (bastards, i don't mind going to war for something i believe in but being forced seems a bit... err... nazi-like)

i would goto war if i truly believed in the cause, i'm not too enthusiastic about this whole Iraq thing. I'm hesitant to support anything GWB does seeing as how i disagree with just about every move the man has made since he took office. it's not the dying part that scares me it's standing up for what i believe in. however, i can't imagine how scary it must be to goto war, i've thought about it long and hard and have come to the conclusion that i'll be clueless unless i actually experience it... you never know until you go. it must be the biggest fucking adrenaline rush, so intense and frightening.

we'll just have to wait and see...
(i doubt they'll be quick to except me w/ my asthma... they'd probably just stick me behind a computer)

Mr. Chris said:

Just say you are gay and they'll dismiss you immediatly. Gay or bisexuals aren't allowed in the military. Talk about discrimination! Heh

Most likely won't work here.

Fredrik said:

If I'm unfortunate, I'll be forced to serve the forces of evil next year. I'll do my best to fail the phys test though.

Eggs, eat lots of raw eggs before the physical. If they don't make you stay, you're in the clear. If not, well, at least you tried.

If I had to join the military, I would join the coast guard. I was in JROTC for about 2 years a while back, and got to stay at a CG station for 2 weeks. Let me tell you, a job in the military where you don't have to kill anyone, do a lot of grunt work and get very good food is a job I would take in a flash (if I had to anyway).

When you sign on in a countries military you sign on to serve no matter what they ask you. It's not like a civilian job, you have to commit your mind as well as your body. It's a bit cowardly to sign on and want to pick and choose what orders you will obey, it that's your mind-set, don't sign on. Don't forget, in most armies you can be shot in times of war for refusing to obey orders.

fodders said:

When you sign on in a countries military you sign on to serve no matter what they ask you. It's not like a civilian job, you have to commit your mind as well as your body. It's a bit cowardly to sign on and want to pick and choose what orders you will obey, it that's your mind-set, don't sign on. Don't forget, in most armies you can be shot in times of war for refusing to obey orders.

Who's that directed towards?

Also, Lüt was in the military?

fodders said:

Cowardly to refuse to do lame shit like a zombie? You're even saying the consequences can drastic. I don't see how objecting or revolting can be cowardly. It might, if it were based solely on fear (and if so, so what?.) Otherwise, on the contrary. I'm sure that anyone enlisting and then wishing to object would be either a poor person who had practically no other choice, or someone who then noticed things were much less acceptable than it seemed first. I'd encourage either to object to anything unacceptable (from lame treatment to disagreeable practices or politics.)

And naturally, war crimes (or any crimes commited by military personnel) are crimes anyway. Those participating in them are to be punsihed.

The DOOM FAQ says:
In DOOM, you're a space marine, one of Earth's toughest, hardened in combat and trained for action. Three years ago you assaulted a superior officer for ordering his soldiers to fire upon civilians. He and his body cast were shipped to Pearl Harbor, while you were transferred to Mars, home of the Union Aerospace Corporation.

See? I wanna be like the doomguy.

IMJack said:

@ m0l0t0v: You've already heard dsm's response. Next time you se Lüt, ask him what boot camp was like.

Hey, I'm sure you can have a nice, fun time in bootcamp too, it depends on what kind of person you are and it depends on the buddies you get in the army. I just know that it sucked balls to be me while I was there.

That was exactly what I had in mind when I joined the army and I can tell that I was more than capable of doing just that when I started out there.
Heck, after the first week in there I was told by my squad leader (who was a nice guy, shame that his superiors were dumb as fuck) that he felt that I was the most disciplined soldier in the whole fucking platoon.

myk said:

See? I wanna be like the doomguy.

Heh, I wonder if Doomguy is a war criminal? Firing upon all those demons, often without any provocation, or issuing any warning...

That suggests a new category for demos: "UV Ethical": you can't shoot at a monster until you have issued a warning shot and it has refused to surrender, and instead tried to attack you.