Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eradrop

Avactor last update is out

Then all you need to do is clearly state in the readme file that the intended source port is Boom and you'll be good to go. I would've applied all of the Boom rules if I'd seen such statement.

19 hours ago, Zalewa said:

Not only there was no indication whatsoever that freelook should not be used, the fact that you mention ZDoom as the port you tested the WAD in suggests that using or not using freelook is up to the player's preference.

I'm going to have to disagree with your later statement. Just because ZDoom is listed as a tested sourceport, that does not mean you automatically assign freelook as a granted option to play with. I do agree that the "no jumping, no crouching and no freelook" mentioning should be apply to the WAD though.

Finished Avactor today and streamed it in its entirety.

I enjoyed this, the amount of detail and size of the levels was pretty amazing.

28 minutes ago, Eradrop said:

thank you for the kind words, i would like to watch your stream videos when i have time :)

The last session isn't quite on par with the others as I had a pretty bad day and didn't realize the end was so close, thus I made some dumb mistakes every now and then, but that shouldn't pose much of a problem. Just note that they are archived broadcasts so they do expire after a certain number of days.

The amount of detail and size of the levels was impressive for sure, although I feel some of them did drag on a bit (that one with the highest enemy count), but I liked how well balanced it was, remaining fun and challenging without descending into frustration territory.

15 hours ago, lirui1001 said:

The kill counts are a bit weird in PrBoom+ :(

what you mean ?

Could you release a compatibility version that doesn't change the menu or font? That would be helpful if you're playing with another mod that changes those things.

On 7/22/2018 at 7:17 AM, Eradrop said:

2.png.c5becd4fb6223286df8410e3a14c3aac.png

After long time of posting screenies and even a video clip I've finished my project: "Avactor".

Couple of words about the project:

12 maps of jungles/temples style with huge areas and lot's of details.

All the monsters have a new skin to fit better in the environment I've built.

Wad details:

Iwad: Doom2

Testet with: PRBoom and Zdoom, also been played with GZDoom couple of times.

Built time: about 18 months.

New Sprites: all the decorations, lights, obstacles and monsters.

Update 3:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/cn840vel0bkdr9s/Avactor.wad/file

Enjoy ! :)

Can you upload this to /idgames ?

Found a minor bug at map08 (Violent Geometry):

Spoiler

Using GZDoom v3.7.2. Avactor is Update 3 (wad md5sum: 31869cee8330e00c0a353bf29733847f).

Usually, the skull switch (marked as "1" on the screenshot below), makes the elevator ("2") raise one stair up, so the elevator exit ("3") can be reached.

But if the elevator is lowered down, flipping the skull switch won't raise maximum elevator position.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Fight your way through archviles to get to switch ("1"), don't flip it;

2. Go back to elevator, use it to lower it (it goes to the lowest floor);

3. While the elevator is still down, flip the switch ("1").

4. The elevator is going up...

Expected behavior:

The elevator goes to the next floor (so the exit "3" will become reachable).

Actual behavior:

The Elevator goes to the same floor as the switch "1". Further level progression is impossible without restoring the old save.

a3FvPPC.png

Edit: found one more thing:

Spoiler

The same map. At this place, were I'm standing (x: -6658, y: 1125), the player can get over the railing and fall to the bottom of the black pit. This can be achieved by running from the floor platform that is slightly higher than the normal floor to the railing.

kIG8TaE.png

Barring this, Avactor is an absolute epic blast! It has its own unique spirit, and provides quite a challenge (for me, at least). It's one of the best wads I've ever played. Eradrop, thanks a lot for making this!

Edited by m8f : found one more

thank you for sharing your thoughts here.

this wad will be upload to idgames untill end of the month.

32 minutes ago, Eradrop said:

thank you for sharing your thoughts here.

this wad will be upload to idgames untill end of the month.

One other thing: You may want to put in your readme.txt that the bullhead switch in the lava pit in Avactor Map 3 is shootable because I could see people getting stuck there, not realizing that could be done.  

4 minutes ago, Master O said:

One other thing: You may want to put in your readme.txt that the bullhead switch in the lava pit in Avactor Map 3 is shootable because I could see people getting stuck there, not realizing that could be done.  

Or make the switch more visible since it's out of your reach, but surprisingly easy to miss.

Ho-ly-cow. Maybe I'm just easily impressed? This is art. Beautifully done and thank you much. I think your Cacoward was well earned.

Recently played through this. Loved it!

Also, since this doesn't have an idgames release yet, I figured I could comment on a few things that might need to be fixed. Used GLBoom+ 2.5.1.4. boom compat, opengl mostly.

- In map 03, when you access the pyramid with the hitscan turrets on sides and HKs, some bars raise to prevent cheesing. However, the same barriers never lowered back, denying me to backtrack in search for the secrets I missed. Since this is the only map with point of no return, would you consider making those barriers to lower after leaving the pyramid?. Also in the same map, near the exit, I saw a backpack behind a tall pile of crates but didn't find how to get them. What would be the way?

- In map 05, the floor in one of the cottages rendered glitchy both on opengl and software mode. Would be this area in GZDB.

- In map 09, an imp was stuck inside the floor here. Would be this area in GZDB.

- Same map, it is possible to fall inside a pit with monsters that are supposed to raise with a trigger. This happens if you take the teleport that is next to the area in a pit with a revenant (see where I'm pointing at). The trigger's here where there's a box of rockets, but you're teleported in front of there and could potentially skip the trigger, causing the issue.

- As a suggestion, in map 10, at the secret area on the boats, some monster block lines to prevent cacodemons from being pushed too far away as it happened to me which was annoying.

hi, i wanted to play this with Complex/Lca but i see these, i think they are not meant to be there like this. Is there anyone played this with complex/lca?

avactor.png

On 7/22/2018 at 2:17 PM, Eradrop said:

2.png.c5becd4fb6223286df8410e3a14c3aac.png

After long time of posting screenies and even a video clip I've finished my project: "Avactor".

Couple of words about the project:

12 maps of jungles/temples style with huge areas and lot's of details.

All the monsters have a new skin to fit better in the environment I've built.

Wad details:

Iwad: Doom2

Testet with: PRBoom and Zdoom, also been played with GZDoom couple of times.

Built time: about 18 months.

New Sprites: all the decorations, lights, obstacles and monsters.

Update 3:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/cn840vel0bkdr9s/Avactor.wad/file

te.png

Enjoy ! :) I d like to know the soundtrack title of this video 

I'm slowly playing through this WAD, currently on map08 Hurt Me Plenty... I will quote what other guys said about this being "addictive, can't put it down", "feeling like an adventure" and "being everything that I wanted from Doom right now". Amazing work.

And it runs flawlessly with PrBoom+ on my 2008 Britania Inox Toaster  Thanks for going the extra mile of ensuring Boom compatibility.

The level design is so good that even if I had to IDDQD on a few occasions there was still the challenge of ammo management, didn't take away from the experience at all.

Bonus note: I couldn't help but think of Daikatana episode 2 seeing that boat at the start of every level :) Was that in your mind at any point?

I was thinking that the player takes the boat and Avactor's adventure will be continue to the next chapter, sorry that im really busy in my personal life so the "avactor 2" project will be released in very long time from now

1 hour ago, Eradrop said:

I was thinking that the player takes the boat and Avactor's adventure will be continue to the next chapter, sorry that im really busy in my personal life so the "avactor 2" project will be released in very long time from now

Hope all is going well for you, Eradrop! Take as much time as you need, friend. I know this may sound hyperbolic, but Avactor is probably the best Doom wad I've played this decade. Words cannot express how excited I am for the sequel!

5 hours ago, Eradrop said:

"avactor 2 project" 

I'll burn some incense from you just saying that, so that the powers beyond the veil may assist you and speed up this process.

Almost through with this, currently at map 10 and I'm really enjoying it. I got stuck a few times in places looking for secrets and had to idclip my way out. 

Can't really recall the exact times so I guess this is useless information to you.. I also fell into the above mentioned monster closet in map 09.

I was able to get to sr40 to the north-easterm part of the map early (the part with the platforming that is scattered with health bonuses to the right of the bridge) which resulted in more not yet activated monster pits that one could fall into. It was pretty clear that I was not supposed to be there at that point though..

There are instances of monsters only spawning in after you pick up certain items like a green armour for example.

Those are very easy to miss kills, especially in huge maps like these where you might not need said item and therefore ignore it.

This could lead to very frustrating moster hunting for people who want 100% kills..

On a related note, I'd like to second the motion that the secrets should be more rewarding by having them provide rarer or more useful items.

I think your maps have some really cool secrets and clever ways to hide them but I'm always a bit disappointed when I discover a hidden area but the things I find there are basically items that occur in abundance throughout the map anyway.

Nevertheless, this is abolutely outstanding work and I'm already looking forward to the sequel!

Amazing level. Immersive atmosphere of South American civilizations. Very well designed map. But I don't know why ambushes didn't activate somewhere, because there were a dozen or so monsters to kill with full level exploration.

On 7/5/2021 at 7:03 PM, eLeR Creative said:

Amazing level. Immersive atmosphere of South American civilizations. Very well designed map. But I don't know why ambushes didn't activate somewhere, because there were a dozen or so monsters to kill with full level exploration.

All the ambushes working you just didnt pick the "blue armor" secret after pressing the switch where the revenant was hiding :)

Didn't play yet, but looks interesting. Aztecs, jungle and all that. Especially sound that fills in atmoshpere in the trailer.

BTW.

@Eradrop, there are several such tracks exists? It is possible to share them in .mp3/.midi format for possible use in another modding thing? I'm looking to back one day to create an a campaign for old turn-based strategy. It has swamp maps. And this track probably will fit just fine. Details can be found here: http://www.kitana.org/arena/bi2/bi2forum.html?kommentar=bi213&style=2

About the game / modern interface - https://www.kitana.org/arena/bi2/bi2020.html

Edited by UnknDoomer

On 7/19/2021 at 2:30 AM, UnknDoomer said:

Didn't play yet, but looks interesting. Aztecs, jungle and all that. Especially sound that fills in atmoshpere in the trailer.

BTW.

@Eradrop, there are several such tracks exists? It is possible to share them in .mp3/.midi format for possible use in another modding thing? I'm looking to back one day to create an a campaign for old turn-based strategy. It has swamp maps. And this track probably will fit just fine. Details can be found here: http://www.kitana.org/arena/bi2/bi2forum.html?kommentar=bi213&style=2

About the game / modern interface - https://www.kitana.org/arena/bi2/bi2020.html

You can export the Midi files using Slade3 and just convert it to mp3 online for free. I assume it will change the quality of the soundtrack so you can also use FL-STUDIO like I'm using to keep the original quality and still turn it to a mp3 file.

If you dont have FL-STUDIO You can find the demo version on their site for free, you can't save projects but exporting Midi files you can freely.

As long as credits will be given you can use the soundtrack for everything you want.

If you have troubles converting the midis contact me on private and I'll help you with that.