Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
killerkouhai

REFRACTED REALITY

@elend This one I planned out the overall layout before hand with a sketch which I do pretty much all the time these days. This helps with the broad strokes but the detail is an evolving thing. I seem to layer and layer things until I reach what you see. It's not the most efficient but it seems to work for me. My thought process seems to revolve around two core factors. I am a fan of structured, patterned elements (I work in construction). My earlier works were overly symmetrical so I have made myself move away from it to a degree but there will always be that in my maps. Working alongside this is a ... very abstract imagination. I have in fact dreamed doom maps and I guess this is where the weirder elements come from.

The other thing I do is draw inspiration from other games, real life structures, other people's doom maps etc. Don't be afraid to let your influences show. Flat out copying things is not a good idea but all art is derivative.

Hope this helps. I'm going to start doing a tutorial series soonish and I'm pretty keen to run a community project next year for UDMF, partly to help people with mapping ideas.

IMG_20181216_200537.jpg

A tutorial series sounds very great! I would gobble that up in no time. Well, I was just wondering, because your stuff looks really great and well thought out.

Secret Map preview

Sssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Shaders are from Void and Rainbow courtesy of Serious_Mood. Much thanks for allowing us to use them

Edited by Bridgeburner56

On 1/6/2019 at 4:30 PM, elend said:

Lovely, unique, wonderful, release it already, godammit!

unique, that's the keyword. haven't seen something like this. perhaps the rainbow map in valiant, but this is unreal colorful.

So how many maps are in this wad? 

You said it's around 10 but all these different areas make me think this is like a entire mega wad.

These maps look really good keep it up!

The release date is being pushed back to March 1st because things fall through and life is rough. We want to take the time to properly playtest and smooth things out to give you folks the best experience we can, so bear with us, it's just a short month more.

2 hours ago, killerkouhai said:

The release date is being pushed back to March 1st because things fall through and life is rough. We want to take the time to properly playtest and smooth things out to give you folks the best experience we can, so bear with us, it's just a short month more.

Month will fly fast like any other recent month. So don't worry. Same for people waiting eagerly for this :)

18 hours ago, killerkouhai said:

We want to take the time to properly playtest and smooth things out to give you folks the best experience we can

Honestly, I think people will appreciate the more thoroughly playtested version when it finally gets released, rather than slavishly adhering to an original timetable that is no longer valid and releasing a buggy version full of problems that need to be fixed.

It's one of the reasons people hate zero day patches.

Sorry to hear about the delay, but on the other hand, it will be better released when it's 100%.

Keep up the good work killerkouhai and team!