Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Nanami

Doom.wad only smaller

Here's a rediculously stupid question...

If I got Doom.wad in DeePsea and fixed all the texture misalignments (like the 128x64 textures that have an offset of 192 or something), fix the unclosed sectors and missing textures and things, and the walls tagged for no reason, then saved it, it would still run as a normal IWAD right? And would demos still run correctly with it?

It's not like I need the space or anything, I was just curious really.

It will run as an Iwad, but demos... well, you can try.
depends upon a lot of things... if you rebuilt the nodes, then it will not work. (which fixing unclosed sectors would require)

If you touch the sectors demos would probably desynch, but the texture alignments shouldn't have any effects. I don't see the point in fixing that stuff myself, it just is like that, bugs and all.

Yeah, I know, I was just wondering if it would still work correctly. No real reason. Dumb question, like I said. =P

Opulent said:

if you rebuilt the nodes, then it will not work. (which fixing unclosed sectors would require)

Unless it's just a case of changing sector references without moving any vertices or linedefs.

Removing superfluous upper/lower textures does NOT reduce the size of a WAD file. Removing tags won't make it smaller either. Just so you know.

And it will be 100% backwards compatible as long as you don't change any of the following:

1. Vertex positions
2. Floor/ceiling heights
3. Thing positions and attributes
4. Line/sector specials and triggers
5. Line passability/sound transparency
6. Compiled info (nodes etc)

Well, I was also thinking about packing the sectors and SideDefs while I was at it. That's where I got the smaller filesize thing.

Careful with packing. It is useful, but can lead to some unintended effects - eg monsters some distance away might wake up because you made a noise in their sector, switches with the same texture in the same sector may now share the same side def, and so both change appearance when one is switched...

And doing this would probably screw with demo compatability, I suspect.