Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GooberMan

Announcing BSP2Doom - build Doom levels with a Quake editor

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 1:38 PM, GooberMan said:

s. Quake lightmaps are generated entirely in texture space. The physical surface size matters not. So if you were to double the texel density of a surface - say, by scaling the texture - you also get higher resolution lightmaps.

From what I can tell from participating in a few quake related discords for the past few months this is actually a pretty common trick to get higher presicion lightmaps but apparently a lot of people don't like it because it makes shadows too sharp or something like that

Anyway I would totally be down to make a short test/demo map with this if you want since I have some experience with trenchbroom 2, though I haven't been following the most recent updates as of late

On 1/21/2019 at 8:04 AM, GooberMan said:

Interesting aside: Dusk's levels are Quake[1] BSPs converted to Unity. Perhaps we're on the threshold of a Quake resurgence.

[1] Well, honestly, I say Quake but I figure GoldSrc would be the better option since each embedded texture contains its own palette.

Dusk doesn't use Quake BSPs at all. The Unity engine contains a utility known as "ProBuilder" whose stated purpose is to make quick prototypes for levels, but is deep enough that you can easily use it to make a map that wouldn't look out of place in vanilla Quake, and with enough time could look like something out of Arcane Dimensions.

8 hours ago, mammajamma said:

Dusk doesn't use Quake BSPs at all.

The developers have gone on record multiple times saying the SDK will support Quake maps. If you have a link confirming their internal process is different, I'd like to read it.

10 hours ago, therektafire said:

From what I can tell from participating in a few quake related discords for the past few months this is actually a pretty common trick to get higher presicion lightmaps but apparently a lot of people don't like it because it makes shadows too sharp or something like that

My preference certainly goes in the opposite direction of the community then.

I had to turn bounce lighting off for those most recent screenshots to illustrate the request. The scene looks entirely different with bouncing on. And then there's those massive blocks when you do get a hard edge. I'd rather have higher fidelity light maps - but the maps I want to make also make no attempt to preserve a Quake-, or even a Doom- aesthetic.

Edited by GooberMan

On 1/20/2019 at 11:34 AM, GooberMan said:

I've never looked that deep in to Eternity, but that certainly kills the initiative I have to support it.

It's not an impossible task. But it sounds like it means making a ton of horizontal map slices

No, you don't need to make tons of "cake layers". Details (like stairs) can be easier done with edge portals. Edge portals work on the lower/upper edges of a raised/lowered floor/ceiling. Like, apply to the sides of a raised platform to make a 3D looking table in an otherwise normal non-portal room.  Linked portals (the "cake layers") are best used for the main architecture, like the floors of a multi-storied building.

47 minutes ago, Mordeth said:

No, you don't need to make tons of "cake layers". Details (like stairs) can be easier done with edge portals. Edge portals work on the lower/upper edges of a raised/lowered floor/ceiling. Like, apply to the sides of a raised platform to make a 3D looking table in an otherwise normal non-portal room.

Does that affect collision as well, or is it just a visual effect?

19 minutes ago, GooberMan said:

Does that affect collision as well, or is it just a visual effect?

This includes collision. Although you can also choose to make a setup purely for visual effects (using not linked, but anchored edge portals).

Sweet. Although, to be honest, I'm not sure if that will make supporting Eternity easier or harder. I'll have a think on it.

On 1/20/2019 at 10:05 AM, Edward850 said:

Unfortunately that certainly kills my interest in this thread. It's not really any interesting if all this works on is the two least-doom ports we have. 

Is it really reasonable to expect something this advanced and different from Doom to work in anything other than the most advanced ports?

20 minutes ago, whirledtsar said:

Is it really reasonable to expect something this advanced and different from Doom to work in anything other than the most advanced ports?

I never expected anything, but you can't force me to be interested either. I just don't find Doom projects on GZDoom interesting, sorry.

7 hours ago, Jaxxoon R said:

It's a sincere question.

Then sincere answer: Edward850 was heavily involved in ZDoom multiplayer and jumped ship when the netcode became largely unstable as a result of various sweeping changes and overhauls of the internals, IIRC the move from fixed point to floating point combined with ZScript soon after.

hi GooberMan, has there been any more work on this? this sounds like a potentially game changing tool, and I'd really love to see some folks exploring with it!

On 10/27/2020 at 4:43 PM, Tango said:

hi GooberMan, has there been any more work on this? this sounds like a potentially game changing tool, and I'd really love to see some folks exploring with it!

Bump. It’s been 3 years and I need this in my life

I was actually thinking about the concept of such a tool months ago, but in reverse. A piece of software that would take a DOOM map and convert it to Quake, so one could build the base map in a DOOM editor and then add details in a Quake editor. I didn't think that a Quake to DOOM converter was possible, but I guess I forgot that UDMF existed.

On 7/22/2022 at 12:12 PM, Ar_e_en said:

I was actually thinking about the concept of such a tool months ago, but in reverse. A piece of software that would take a DOOM map and convert it to Quake, so one could build the base map in a DOOM editor and then add details in a Quake editor. I didn't think that a Quake to DOOM converter was possible, but I guess I forgot that UDMF existed.

The doom2gold utility seems to be able to do this for the Quake-based Xash3D engine. But I haven't tested it myself.
https://hlfx.ru/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5261

Here's a Doom Remake video showing what the conversion looks like: https://streamable.com/bxh71w
This in Doom Remake: 
https://hlfx.ru/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5262