Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-TDRR-

Brutal Doom: Classic v2

After seeing all these new BD patches and noticing that there wasn't anything that kept gameplay between new and old Brutal Doom, i decided to take matters into my own hands.

DOWNLOAD!
NOTE: BD_Classic_STGuns.pk3 is a mutator, while using it, Skulltag weapons have a chance of spawning over the classic weapons

BD_Classic_NoReload.pk3 is another mutator, which removes reloading

Presenting:
BRUTAL DOOM: CLASSIC "Old but gold"

Currently, it's BDv19 but with fixed bugs, removed recoil, increased performance, Skulltag support and the Skulltag weapons which were for some reason removed in v19.

Along with a couple added cool things, most noticeably the knuckle-cracking animation but in true v19 style.

Changelog

Spoiler

Version 2 - 26/01/2019

-Increased performance

-No reload mutator

-M2 Plasma Rifle included (only obtainable via IDKFA/IDFA)

To-do list

Spoiler

-Increase performance much more

-General clean-up

-Make a less-gore version (yeah fight me about it)

-Make a Project Brutality Classic, but with v19 aesthetics (same style graphics, no dual-wield, no massive options menu)

-Separate all the graphic improvements from the main .pk3 (stuff like glows, shadows under objects and other things)

-Freedoom support

And maybe other things, as this isn't really a final to-do list.

Edited by -TDRR-

Do you plan on implementing Realism Mode or what that new in v20? No big deal if its not planned, I briefly played both version 19 Enhanced Edition and Sperglord Edition awhile and this version plays much better, I'd see these big black squares appear over Pinky's as they were in their death animations and this version has that fixed:) Nice job TDRR.

@Beezle

No, the Realism Mode strays too far from the v19-ish ideas and i wouldn't want to see it in the main package. Maybe as a mutator. That said, if there's anything else you would like to see in this branch of BD, send the ideas in!

Thanks! It is pretty fun to work with v19, as it's my favorite version, everything felt very good in it, so naturally i had to keep it more up to date.

You know how some of the early versions, v16 for example, had this bug where if you shot one of the zombies in a group of zombies it was like the bullet would hit then break apart and hit, and usually kill, every zombie or imp close by. I wanna say this version doesn't have it after playing around with it some more but then I played again and wasn't sure.

"classic" bd cleanup. quite a huge project! good luck with this (with bd code, you will need some extreme LUCK stats! ;-).

Nice, version 19 was probably my favorite, apart from the Chaingunners. Screw those guys.

Just now, ketmar said:

"classic" bd cleanup. quite a huge project! good luck with this (with bd code, you will need some extreme LUCK stats! ;-).

Wait, hold up, don't get too excited! When i said "cleanup" i didn't mean stuff like BD Lite but just minor adjustements to make it more readable, if you want something to make a mod off it you can just use BD Lite instead of this, which is aimed at playing, not modding.

anything that makes bd cleaner is good. even if it is a one-line change (and often one-line change breaks everything, so it is still a huge task ;-).

Alright, here's a sort-of progress report:

I have started development of Project Brutality Classic, and literally everything i have gotten in is the M2 Plasma Rifle, i would put the other weapons but they don't fit at all with the other weapons of v19 and look very out of place. If anyone has sprites that fit in better i would appreicate that. (I'm not saying that the sprites look bad, but they just look incredibly out of place) monsters will definitely be added but much later, right now weapons are my focus.

Performance has started to get better, it still really sucks in this Celeron 1.4GHz with a Intel HD 4000, but my goal is to get it running decently in this laptop. I have reduced the speed of the tracer effects so they don't drain performance as much. Missiles have also been cleaned up and now spawn half of the actors they used to, yet they still look pretty nice. Gore effects have also been toned down, being the main source of slowdown.

I still can't figure out why it's still so slow, isn't there any function to count the amount of actors?

CHUPER IMPORTANT ADVICE

Some of you may already know this, but modern GZDoom just won't cut it for people with old, rusty hardware. Maybe not even that rusty, my desktop PC (Dual-Core 3GHz) struggles with modern GZDoom despite that it should be able to run at least decently with simpler mods (Smooth Doom runs incredibly bad, for example) so you may need to get another port that can fit your PC.

I also tried ZDoom32 but it's still relatively slow and playing BDC on it gets choppy at times, so if you got a bad PC, you should instead get ZDoom LE! It makes this mod run smooth like butter, at a smooth and rock-solid 60fps! Sometimes it's not the mod, but a combination of the source port and your PC, so try using something different. The order i would recommend is this:

GZDoom (regular modern GZD)

LZDoom (modern GZD but with older renderers)

ZDoom32 (ZDoom 2.8.1 but beefed up and kept more up to date, with a OpenGL 2.0 renderer)

ZDoom LE (ZDoom 2.8.1 for old computers, with a OpenGL 1.4 renderer and blazingly fast framerates)

My recommended ports for Brutal Doom: Classic (and the target one too) are ZDoom LE and Zandronum, both will work really well.

Happy 120fps fragging!

I feel like this mod would be a lot better if you kept the doom blood. Can you make a mutator or a version that remove the nash gore?

Personally I would have loved if v20b was used as a base(and rebalance/bug-fix from there) rather than v19. As v20b had A LOT better performance than v19 and had more polished sprites. I just tried ur version(which u say has improved performance over v19) and it still had performance issues with Eday(Starter pack version of Eday), whereas v20b runs its fine.

BUT ultimately its your decision and do what u wish.

Edited by ReaperAA

8 hours ago, eviltechno said:

I feel like this mod would be a lot better if you kept the doom blood. Can you make a mutator or a version that remove the nash gore?

I agree 100% with you, but most people just think it's much better to have the extra gore which honestly i don't like. A mutator may be done.

2 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Personally I would have loved if v20b was used as a base(and rebalance/bug-fix from there) rather than v19. As v20b had A LOT better performance than v19 and had more polished sprites. I just tried ur version(which u say has improved performance over v19) and it still had performance issues with Eday(Starter pack version of Eday), whereas v20b runs its fine.

I know of course that v20b is faster than v19, but literally all the point of this is to keep the v19 look and feel the exact same and that would be a pain with v20b.

Also, performance has been increased way more in the upcoming update, so you may want to hang on until the next one. In my own personal opinion i couldn't really care less about how this runs with Extermination Day because i know it runs bad anyways and i don't have the computer to do a fair performance gauge on it.

Did you try out using ZDoom LE or Zandronum? If you are using latest GZDoom then it's quite obvious performance will tank.

16 minutes ago, -TDRR- said:

Did you try out using ZDoom LE or Zandronum? If you are using latest GZDoom then it's quite obvious performance will tank.

Unfortunately eDay isn't compatible with ZDoom 2.8.1, but thanks for suggesting ZDoom LE! Now my dream of playing BD at 60+ fps can come true:)

7 minutes ago, Beezle said:

Unfortunately eDay isn't compatible with ZDoom 2.8.1, but thanks for suggesting ZDoom LE! Now my dream of playing BD at 60+ fps can come true:)

Really? Well, Mark messed up big time because it should run on the same ports BD itself does, how else do you play multiplayer decently? Also if that's the case then i will NEVER be able to play EDay decently, oh well.

2 minutes ago, -TDRR- said:

Really? Well, Mark messed up big time because it should run on the same ports BD itself does, how else do you play multiplayer decently? Also if that's the case then i will NEVER be able to play EDay decently, oh well.

Ah you know what, I think I'm doing something wrong, I just tried to run this with EDay with GZDoom 3.7.2 and its not working either. I've only been able to run EDay with BD v21 or PB 3.0 test build (even though Eday has a lag script for the latter).

7 minutes ago, Beezle said:

Ah you know what, I think I'm doing something wrong, I just tried to run this with EDay with GZDoom 3.7.2 and its not working either. I've only been able to run EDay with BD v21 or PB 3.0 test build (even though Eday has a lag script for the latter).

So EDay absolutely requires BDv21? If you can send me a build of EDay i could fix the problem, hopefully it's just a few actors it depends on and not absolutely everything in BDv21.

As in, when you donate? Wouldn't it have been better if you sent it by PM? Anyways, thanks, going to see what causes the issues.

No haha, this wasn't behind a paywall. I guess he didn't want to upload the unfinished version to ModDb.

It works normally, but because v19 was before EDay it doesn't appear in the menu, just type in the console "map eday01" and you will start at the EDay hangar.

Now, unless you are a masochist or have a super good computer i don't recommend playing this at all, because at least in my PC it runs at 1fps (literally).

If there was a NoReload mutator, I would play this and host it on my Zandronum server.  Having to reload is one of the biggest reasons I don't play BD.

52 minutes ago, -TDRR- said:

because at least in my PC it runs at 1fps (literally).

yay, somebody has even worser PC than me! (actually, worser GPU, i think). solid 60 FPS on k8vavoom (without brutal doom loaded, of course, so it is prolly broken anyway; and in two-minute run).

4 minutes ago, Empyre said:

Having to reload is one of the biggest reasons I don't play BD.

brutal guns are way more powerful than doom guns, so reloading compensates it. besides, it helps to create a totally new playing style. yeah, many levels are not designed with reloading in mind, but it is still fun. i mostly hate reloading in shooters, but with bd it feels somewhat "natural" (or i am just used to it enough ;-).

that is, i'm not saying that you're demanding a wrong thing, just sharing my thought about reloading.

20 minutes ago, Empyre said:

If there was a NoReload mutator, I would play this and host it on my Zandronum server.  Having to reload is one of the biggest reasons I don't play BD.

You should not host this until i get the next update working fast enough, or else people will have a really bad experience in your server.

Yes, i will include a No Reload mutator, not really a complete removal of reloading but just make it instant so that reloading just takes one tic and is completely unnoticeable, is that good enough?

Also, @ketmar is right, BD weapons are way stronger and having to reload balances them out, but if you want no reloads then this will have to do.

1 hour ago, -TDRR- said:

If you are using latest GZDoom then it's quite obvious performance will tank.

Well I did use the latest GZDoom (3.7.2). However v20b and v21RC7 both run Eday at 50-60 fps for most of the time whereas ur v19 ran for about 20-25 fps.

2 hours ago, -TDRR- said:

performance has been increased way more in the upcoming update

But I will test again in the update.

1 hour ago, Beezle said:

Unfortunately EDay isn't compatible with ZDoom 2.8.1

Really? EDay even runs on Zandronum which is based on GZdoom 1.8.6 and Zdoom 2.7.1.

Other than the fact that performance would be bad (due to software mode), there is no way Zdoom shouldn't run BD

1 hour ago, Beezle said:

I just tried to run this with EDay with GZDoom 3.7.2 and its not working either.

Definitely something wrong on your end.

1 hour ago, Beezle said:

I've only been able to run EDay with BD v21 or PB 3.0 test build (even though Eday has a lag script for the latter).

While I don't recommend it, I did once run BDv20b with latest test of Eay (edaytestmar27) and it worked for me by typing in console "map eday01"

Also, didn't Sarge removed the lag script in the latest test of Eday

8 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Well I did use the latest GZDoom (3.7.2). However v20b and v21RC7 both run Eday at 50-60 fps for most of the time whereas ur v19 ran for about 20-25 fps.

That doesn't mean GZDoom 3.7.2 is optimized or anything like that, case in point you will need to use ZDoom LE until i get performance issues sorted out. Which isn't easy, Mark probably knew what exactly was wrong with his code because, well, he wrote it.

It's quite baffling how slow v19 currently is, the bottleneck appears to be something either player-related or some ACS script.

If you can try using "profilethinkers 7" in the console and send me the output of 15 seconds of gameplay i would be very thankful.

7 minutes ago, -TDRR- said:

You should not host this until i get the next update working fast enough, or else people will have a really bad experience in your server.

Yes, i will include a No Reload mutator, not really a complete removal of reloading but just make it instant so that reloading just takes one tic and is completely unnoticeable, is that good enough?

Also, @ketmar is right, BD weapons are way stronger and having to reload balances them out, but if you want no reloads then this will have to do.

Thanks!  I'll wait for the next update, per your advice.

14 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Also, didn't Sarge removed the lag script in the latest test of Eday

Yeah its possible. I just mentioned it because I remember downloading Eday lag patch a couple months ago and I thought it might still be there. About my earlier post TDRR, that bug I mentioned is definitely there. As I was playing with this, a monster closet of 8 Imps opened up and I shot two of em with a shotgun and it seemed to effect pretty much all of em even though it was aimed directly at 2 of them. Also seen this when using Assault Rifle, its more noticeable with zombiemen huddled together. Is that normal cuz I remember seeing that bug really bad on a joke mode based off of v18. You would shoot one monster and it affected almsot every monster in the room lol.