Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

Yes, I have added support for Sigil. If you load The Ultimate DOOM IWAD, and sigil.wad is present, it'll automatically be loaded and a 5th entry will be added to the episode menu. If Romero doesn't use E5Mx (I contacted him a few days ago, but he hasn't responded), then I'll need to change it to the way nerve.wad is handled in DR.

Menu (19).png

On 12/19/2018 at 2:46 AM, bradharding said:

Yes, I have added support for Sigil. If you load The Ultimate DOOM IWAD, and sigil.wad is present, it'll automatically be loaded and a 5th entry will be added to the episode menu. If Romero doesn't use E5Mx (I contacted him a few days ago, but he hasn't responded), then I'll need to change it to the way nerve.wad is handled in DR.

Menu (19).png

Very cool!
Just a nitpick: As it seems on twitch, the episode is named "Sigil of Baphomet". I don't know if it's the final name though.

Edited by Noiser

14 hours ago, Noiser said:

Very cool!
Just a nitpick: As it seems on twitch, the episode is named "Sigil of Baphomet". I don't know if it's the final name though.

Thanks, Noiser! I just checked Romero's latest vid and it does indeed say that. I'll make the update, but yes, I guess it is subject to change.

Can you not exit a map dead in Retro? For example, the speedrunning trick in Plutonia Map 17 doesn't seem to work.

1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

Can you not exit a map dead in Retro? For example, the speedrunning trick in Plutonia Map 17 doesn't seem to work.

Well, it seems you can't. This is unintentional, so thanks for letting me know. I'll fix it for the next version (which won't be too far away).

Checked out Doom Retro again today, and it's still as interesting as it was the last time. However that's not the reason I'm here.

I was going to suggest that there should be a better way of customizing the experience to your liking than it currently is. It took me over 30mins to look out for console variables and experiment with them in order to tweak the source port to make it closer to my liking, there doesn't seem to be any options in the menu for pretty much anything, not even for rebinding keys. It would be so much better to either have the options menu revamped and expanded, or have a setup program similar to that of Choco and Crispy.

I for one enjoy setting things up in the console. But most doom engines have a menu for key binds, even if it's a separate executable. So I can see an argument for including one here. Of course, it's up to Brad, and I could see having to either modify the set-up application of chocolate or rewrite the menus (which is a huge pain) to implement this. I just wish most Doom engines supported mouse wheel bindings of weapon slots.

9 hours ago, VGA said:

https://github.com/bradharding/doomretro/wiki

Check out the variables and the commands pages. I think it's easier to edit the cfg than GZDoom's options jungle (well, it has a LOT more options)

Where do you think I found the variables :v.

8 hours ago, PaquoCastor said:

I for one enjoy setting things up in the console. But most doom engines have a menu for key binds, even if it's a separate executable. So I can see an argument for including one here. Of course, it's up to Brad, and I could see having to either modify the set-up application of chocolate or rewrite the menus (which is a huge pain) to implement this. I just wish most Doom engines supported mouse wheel bindings of weapon slots.

I personally don't, but this applies to everything, not just Doom ports. I like finding the settings in some kind of menu rather than look up for variables and still miss something perhaps. But, it's up to Brad to decide whether he wants to revamp and drastically expand the menus, or create a setup program a la Choco/Crispy, or nothing at all.

Been having some fun with DR in Ultimate Doom just now and ran into a bug at the very end of E3M2 (but forgot to make a screenshot... ).

Basically I wanted to grab the medkit behind the teleporter but I also checked the wall right behind it in case there was a secret or something (I largely forget where the secrets are on the maps I play, if I find them in the first place), but when I hit that wall it turned into a HOM and looking around turned everything into that garbage. I think I got stuck into the wall as I couldn't get out of that mess and reach the exit teleporter to leave the map.

Edited by seed

8 hours ago, seed said:

Been having some fun with DR in Ultimate Doom just now and ran into a bug at the very end of E3M2 (but forgot to make a screenshot... ).

Basically I wanted to grab the medkit behind the teleporter but I also checked the wall right behind it in case there was a secret or something (I largely forget where the secrets are on the maps I play, if I find them in the first place), but when I hit that wall it turned into a HOM and looking around turned everything into that garbage. I think I got stuck into the wall as I could get out of that mess and reach the exit teleporter to leave the map.

Thanks for the report. I'll look into it.

EDIT: Just trying this myself, everything works fine: I can pick up the medikits, and pressing use on any of the walls behind the teleport doesn't cause what you describe. Are you able to replicate this issue?

EDIT 2: And after playing around a bit more, I was able to do it:

image.png.a64c2c37963c384bec23c69c9997bf4f.png

Before it happens, (x,y) coordinates are approx (-44, 2700) so there's an overflow occurring somewhere. It can be done without pressing the use key, and I suspect it's something in the player's slide move code.

EDIT 3: And I believe I've been able to fix it. Thanks again @seed.

Edited by bradharding

Chrome seems to think the file is potentially harmful 1.0 .

Simply pressing on "Keep" does the trick.

I seem to have found another issue similar to the last one I brought up: a barrel doe not trigger a line that barrels can trigger if the barrel is "dead." In vanilla, an exploding barrel still triggers lines.

I notice than Doom Retro 2.8 won't launch now when I try to play a wad with its associate deh file.For exemple Doom 64 for Doom 2 works well when I only select D64D2.wad but when I try to load D64D2.wad with D64D2.deh nothing happen, and it is also the case with back to saturn e1 and other stuff.

1 hour ago, FrenchGuy said:

I notice than Doom Retro 2.8 won't launch now when I try to play a wad with its associate deh file.For exemple Doom 64 for Doom 2 works well when I only select D64D2.wad but when I try to load D64D2.wad with D64D2.deh nothing happen, and it is also the case with back to saturn e1 and other stuff.

That's strange. I'll look into it, thanks. (In the examples you provide, though, you don't need to manually load the .deh files anyway: the .wad files include DEHACKED lumps.)

3 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

I seem to have found another issue similar to the last one I brought up: a barrel doe not trigger a line that barrels can trigger if the barrel is "dead." In vanilla, an exploding barrel still triggers lines.

Thanks. Do you have an example of where it's necessary for an exploding barrel to trigger a special?

7 hours ago, seed said:

Chrome seems to think the file is potentially harmful 1.0 .

Simply pressing on "Keep" does the trick.

Use at own risk! :P (I guess once it's downloaded a certain number of times, that warning will go away...)

21 minutes ago, bradharding said:

Thanks. Do you have an example of where it's necessary for an exploding barrel to trigger a special?

No, but I made one quick.

In this map, if you pistol the barrel, it will move enough to trigger the line to open the door. But if you shotgun the barrel, it will explode and the door will not open.

In any other port I know of, even if the barrel explodes, the door will open.

1 hour ago, bradharding said:

That's strange. I'll look into it, thanks. (In the examples you provide, though, you don't need to manually load the .deh files anyway: the .wad files include DEHACKED lumps.)

I just discovered another issue, I don't know if this is linked to the previous problem but chex.wad won't run at all, yet this time I don't load chex.wad with a .deh file.

Anyway, thank for the informations about DEHACKED lumps, now I will watch in the console before load manually a .deh file.

2 hours ago, FrenchGuy said:

I just discovered another issue, I don't know if this is linked to the previous problem but chex.wad won't run at all, yet this time I don't load chex.wad with a .deh file.

Anyway, thank for the informations about DEHACKED lumps, now I will watch in the console before load manually a .deh file.

I've fixed the deh file loading issue you described. A point release will be out later this month. As for chex.wad, if you have chex.deh in the same folder as chex.wad, DR will try to autoload it, and hang.

I notice something else with the latest version of doom retro, in automap mode the name of the current map is not display anymore in classic display mode.

Automap.png

Automap (1).png

18 hours ago, FrenchGuy said:

I notice something else with the latest version of doom retro, in automap mode the name of the current map is not display anymore in classic display mode.

Thanks again, FrenchGuy! It'll be fixed in the next build...

@bradharding

Thanks for the updates, but I still have an issue like before regarding infinite height and some odd properties with it either on or off. So unless I'm just missing a CVAR somewhere:

infinite height on: (cannot run atop enemy's heads, flying enemies can't stack, lost souls are blocked by pickups, z-axis splash damage, but projectiles will stop in front of decor objects).
infinite height off: (can run atop enemy's heads, flying enemies have free space, lost souls aren't blocked by pickups, no z-axis splash damage, but projectiles will fly through decor objects).

Is it possible to have it like the former, but with projectiles passing through decor objects? On a smaller and less significant note, I noticed when using mouse look and disabling auto aim there is no option for a crosshair. I realize this is a deliberate design choice for your port, but with no crosshair option manually aiming is tricky.

11 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

@bradharding

Thanks for the updates, but I still have an issue like before regarding infinite height and some odd properties with it either on or off. So unless I'm just missing a CVAR somewhere:

infinite height on: (cannot run atop enemy's heads, flying enemies can't stack, lost souls are blocked by pickups, z-axis splash damage, but projectiles will stop in front of decor objects).
infinite height off: (can run atop enemy's heads, flying enemies have free space, lost souls aren't blocked by pickups, no z-axis splash damage, but projectiles will fly through decor objects).

Is it possible to have it like the former, but with projectiles passing through decor objects? On a smaller and less significant note, I noticed when using mouse look and disabling auto aim there is no option for a crosshair. I realize this is a deliberate design choice for your port, but with no crosshair option manually aiming is tricky.

Thanks Lila. For projectiles passing through decor objects, I'll need to investigate that further (whether I want to change the behavior entirely, or have another cvar). I've also been considering a crosshair.

So far really loving how well this plays, I was going to bitch about the pain effects but I quickly grew to like it. Love how your doing something unique for a source port and its not as distracting as it is in some mods. Right now playing thru Eviternity and look forward to using this source port more. Awesome job bradharding, can't wait to see how multiplayer support goes:)

bradharding, are you planning to do a Linux version? I remember liking Doom Retro a lot when I played it some years ago on Windows, but I've switched to Ubuntu since then...

Or does it work with Wine at least?

On 2/11/2019 at 8:48 AM, Beezle said:

So far really loving how well this plays, I was going to bitch about the pain effects but I quickly grew to like it. Love how your doing something unique for a source port and its not as distracting as it is in some mods. Right now playing thru Eviternity and look forward to using this source port more. Awesome job bradharding, can't wait to see how multiplayer support goes:)

I'm pretty sure you can disable the pain effects. Also, I don't think anyone mentioned multiplayer  heh!

Oh, I just never seen this mentioned on the site...

Edit: the site says it's for Windows, but the github does say it can be compiled on Linux, so yeah, sorry, now I know.