Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
myk

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 2 [post Compet-N entries here]

@GrayestOdinJim : ???

@AdamW Ah, since you're back, there were several people playing and reviewing MM2 in November. Not sure if you want to read all this stuff, but anyway on page 4 I think I finally replied to your comment about Insertion MAP09... Also, at doom.com.hr there's missing your m206 2:16 UV Speed demo. I guess you didn't care as you had 2:14 immediately after? I just ignored it and kept it like that.

@xit-vono Good stuff. m203 max and speed times are super hard to beat now, I suppose. Nice use of barons in m206 pacifist. I also uploaded all your oustanding demos.

m217 pacifist should be taken into consideration IMO.

16 hours ago, xit-vono said:

Hey Adam, did you look at mm2 map04 pacifist? I was looking at it for a while but it didn't seem to be working, so I gave up and moved on. I didn't make any serious attempts though.

No, I haven't tried that one. I just picked mm2 map06 to run because I thought it'd be fun to have a record on my own map :) Didn't count on you and cyberdemon fighting me for it, heh.

On 2/13/2019 at 9:38 AM, Looper said:

Very nice :D The very last plasma shot got it!

Thanks! 
Exact kill was probably a reasonable result and left a few ammo would be rather a rare case.

It was pretty severe to take damage which deviated significantly from the average, so success rate (total over 3000 damage) dramatically decreases by missing one shot of plasma. Actually I have demos in which hit points of the mastermind was 25 left with missing two shot and 10 left with missing one shot. By the way, if I had left 4 cells or more in this route, I would have considered reducing one rocket.

I knew this was a possibility. I thought it would be close if I would make it, so I just head straight for the exit and hope momentum takes me there if the chain gunners kill me.

Hell Revealed map16 -fast in 11:59

hf161159.zip

Will this bring AdamW out of retirement? It's technically a 2017 demo, but if we're counting by upload dates my Compet-N career is at 20 years, 3 months, and 16 days.

A ha! A new generation of players for which this is prehistory :)

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Compet-n

https://www.doom.com.hr/index.php?page=compet-n_database

In short, this is where serious speedrunning started. The demos must be recorded using original exes, and the demos are accepted for Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Evilution, Plutonia, HR, MM, MM2, AV, Requiem and Classic Episode. Today the site is maintained by @fx02 and the activity is very low, when most of the people moved to PrBoom+ or Crispy.

(This question made me realize some links in the "welcome to the demos forum" need to be deleted/replaced, and that I don't recall when exactly Compet-N started accepting Scythe demos; in fact, I'm sure, since it happened, there's not single new vanilla Scythe demo!)

Since we're delving into history, out of curiosity, why was dosbox considered valid? It hardly represents an authentic experience from what I've heard and experienced.

Dosbox...it's not valid but how can anyone detect if someone used modified dosbox to record demos? But most of demos are hard to beat so flags would jump out if someone new posted some crazy record.

Regarding Scythe, I did not have time and energy to upload current Scythe records to database but few of us talked and decided to allow it as valid PWAD. Doom speedruning in general is a bit abandoned in PWAD section and since I didn't had time to fix competition doom, people moved to other ports. I talked once or twice with Fabian about using crispy as base but he said he did many changes and he might abandon it one day for no reason at all, so I decided to stick with Choco and v3 is much much better running then v2, at least for me. :)

1 hour ago, fx02 said:

I talked once or twice with Fabian about using crispy as base but he said he did many changes and he might abandon it one day for no reason at all, so I decided to stick with Choco and v3 is much much better running then v2, at least for me. :)

Well, maybe this was the wrong reply to give a few years ago. As you can see, the project is still alive and active. However, I invite you to take any code you need from Crispy and to get more actively involved in the project as before. 

8 hours ago, fx02 said:

Dosbox...it's not valid but how can anyone detect if someone used modified dosbox to record demos? But most of demos are hard to beat so flags would jump out if someone new posted some crazy record.

- It is debatable that most Compet-N records are hard to beat.

- This is an unhealthy attitude to have towards newcomers. One can improve quickly with the right approach and dedication. The only reason it doesn't happen more is the Doom speedrunning community has low participation and turnover.

- And the implication is also weird -- that flags are generated by someone new posting a crazy record so we suspect Dosbox? I don't get it.