Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valkiriforce

Akeldama - Now on Idgames!

11 hours ago, waverider said:

All sounds and looks like good changes to me! :)

@pcorf: Totally agree about The Wind being one of the best songs from MM1. I recall another favorite being the somewhat sad sounding Map21 tune.

I also like the song used in MAP15 of Memento Mori as well.

Yet another update

This one has now full multiplayer support

-Updated gameplay on some conflicting areas (again)
-Fixed 2 cyberdemon bugs or problems:
  *early switch press that lowers the exit bars
  *added a new teleport that opens at the same time with the bars for you to backtrack
-Improved some areas aesthetically (A bit) 
-Added some multiplayer weaponry/ammo/high tier enemies (3 cyberdemons instead of one)
-added 6 DM Spawns separated from the map in 6 rooms with a teleport that sends the player into a different area of the map. DM playgrond is concentrated in the  area marked below: 

34234.png.7f139d76af92637daa5c1dd3eb9c31bf.png

You can still roam around freely on the rest of the map but it would make the game more slowpaced for everyone.
Every spawn point has a linedef that lowers the labyrinth in the book case room for moving around that room freely from start.
Every player starts with a SSG but 3 TP points are going to be blessed with big guns (RL, PR, BFG).

Aqueduct Fortress by Valkiriforce

This one is tough, with tons of hitscanners around every corner. That said, I was never too frustrated. It helps that there are a lot of small fry like Imps to take the brunt of Chaingunner and Sergeant bullets, if you are able to strafe right.

As far as design goes, the level has a lot of winding and branching paths, yet they are structured so it is simple to navigate. As far as aesthetics, it does not have as much that stands out as previous maps, but works for what it is.

I feel easing up on the hitscanners, especially near the beginning, would go a long way. The map, though not huge, takes a good amount of time to clear out. A fun, if flawed, venture.

Here's my entry, I shall call her 'the chill well'

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9yjsk115e6agrx5/CHILLWELL.wad?dl=0

Any feedback appreciated, there's not too much challenge here, and plenty of ammo, so I feel it works as a fairly entertaining third map.

It has not yet got any multiplayer setup, nor any skill modes (currently somewhere between HMP and UV) these will be forthcoming

Screenshot_Doom_20190122_182859.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190122_182831.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190122_182648.png

Update 01/24: Map is complete.

map13-4.png.9d82857b2d0f0391ca18ae738abc7de9.pngmap13-3.png.137fa3ca453cad8059c608d3a5a26cbf.pngmap13-1.png.e842f857ff5892461954f0fd19c643c1.png

Edit: Reminder that MAP19 is *nearly* done, NaZa's working on the other part. Not gonna post that one here because I want it to be a surprise.

MAP13-SP.zip

Edited by Juza

33 minutes ago, Juza said:

MAP13-Akel.zip gonna do some changes to it before final release.

- Difficulty settings still not fully implemented/optimized

- Multiplayer-only extras still not fully implemented/optimized

I just got stuck on the imp platform that teleports it to the front side (Sector 88) be sure to make it doom proof, so you can exit if you happen to enter there, also I can't play it on Chocolate doom, it seems that it can't find a flat (Maybe because it's not on "Doom Flat" format).
By the way this could be the best one so far, had to test it on GZD by the way

Also, tons of missing resources, I could not fix it with loading the ak_resrce.wad

Edited by DJVCardMaster

3 hours ago, dt_ said:

Here's my entry, I shall call her 'the chill well'

Any feedback appreciated, there's not too much challenge here, and plenty of ammo, so I feel it works as a fairly entertaining third map.

It has not yet got any multiplayer setup, nor any skill modes (currently somewhere between HMP and UV) these will be forthcoming

Played it

Missed the first armor on my go and paid dearly on the left side of the map. Seems pretty standard overall. Barrel room on the left side was quite nasty. Good secrets and traps, that's about all there's to it. Seems like this overall difficulty is more towards HMP than UV. Linedef 999's back sidedef (which is sidedef 1503) confused me since it is a normal texture instead of a switch.

4 hours ago, DJVCardMaster said:

tons of missing resources, I could not fix it with loading the ak_resrce.wad

Ah, shit, guess I forgot to include the extra textures in the zip, gonna update that tomorrow.

I jump around a lot.

MAP01: Generator

Does pretty well for a starting map on each setting. I really don't have much to say here.

MAP16: Aqueduct Fortress

Not much difference between ITYTD/HNTR and HMP. VERY nasty beginning trap, worth it to get the chaingun from the right building before doing anything. Again, hitscanners really slow the gameplay down especially on UV. Still has good nonlinearity and even a choice of two keys for the exit. Red key area has interesting teleporter ambushes, but the one that releases the key I really don't like since I'm stuck in the alcove. Might want to peg the secret door at secret sector 558 since I saw a texture open up wrong. Another carnage-filled level.

MAP22: Dark Sacrifices

For a map titled Dark Sacrifices, there were quite a few areas that were almost full bright. Not a fan of that, lower the lighting level a bit. Other than that, a mostly standard "get two keys and use both to exit map". Lots of space, but not a whole lot of resources apart from the PG area. The cyber that shows up on HMP and higher is tough to tangle with. End area's okay. Maybe a few more supplies would do as well.

MAP08 Winter Stronghold

This one honestly seems unfinished. Difficulty settings are rather negligible with only marginal differences in monster count. Nasty dual arch-vile trap behind the yellow door in one small room. Combat's okay for the most part, but I agree that the northern stretch (past the crusher room) isn't that good, for basically the same reasons as already posted. Teleport destination 94 is flagged for multiplayer and should be fixed. There's a teleporter closet with a pain elemental and two cacos, but there's no teleporter line so they don't go anywhere (assuming they go to the sector tagged 25 but there's no linedef with the same tag). The switch that opens the crates with the megaarmor and energy cell pack could be a secret sector as well (possibly 158?, just a suggestion), seeing this level has no secrets in it.

I've updated the first post to include the newly submitted maps for testers to check out and I've included the new textures/flats from these maps in the resource for other mappers to use. I'll be sure to give them a playthrough and leave feedback at a later time.

1 hour ago, valkiriforce said:

I've updated the first post to include the newly submitted maps for testers to check out and I've included the new textures/flats from these maps in the resource for other mappers to use. I'll be sure to give them a playthrough and leave feedback at a later time.

You should update the pictures of my map later, since both areas changed quite a bit

Map name: Insurrection

Music: "Way to Go" by Junkman

Spoiler

2ZELZsM.png

IzuHLua.png

amp4KLV.png

18fLvpX.png

RaLWFZ0.png

buNOoWT.png

b4iU6Np.png

DM is not implemented, and co-op hasn't been fully tested yet but I feel like this is ready to be posted.

Download (updated 01/25)

Edited by Gothic

18 hours ago, Gothic said:

Map name: Insurrection

Music: "Way to Go" by Junkman

Reveal hidden contents

2ZELZsM.png

IzuHLua.png

amp4KLV.png

18fLvpX.png

RaLWFZ0.png

buNOoWT.png

b4iU6Np.png

DM is not implemented, and co-op hasn't been fully tested yet but I feel like this is ready to be posted.

Download

Played it

MAP06: Insurrection

Somewhat big with a rather large monster count for an early map, but it wasn't tough to deal with. Lots of imps, supplies are pretty good, but I'm personally not a fan of the secret rocket launcher fight. Especially on UV since I ended up just attacking them from the stairwell. Layout's okay but there's quite a lot of backtracking. Gameplay overall is fairly mild, under what valk's level of difficulty but that's okay. No real bugs to find from my end, just finish the extra stuff.

Btw I will replay all of these maps on Choco Doom later on for the more advanced testing. I admittingly have been testing each map three times on a ZDoom port usually on HNTR, HMP, and UV settings, trying to see how each map plays on each difficulty. But I'll replay them on the proper port soon to see what else needs to be done.

@NuMetalManiak thanks for taking the time to play, that line 999 is only a switch when coming round from the barrel area (bottom of the lift), from the top, which is the way I'm guessing you approached, there is a line trigger that lowers the lift a little quicker than you'd expect, throwing the player down into the fight.  I hear you about the skill, bit as it's an earlier map I will wait for additional feedback before making it harder/softer/whatever.  Thanks again!

Insurrection has been updated, with some co-op additions and DM implemented (not tested yet). Check my previous post.

Update: Carefully working on the gameplay. Luckily there are no issues with VPO, highest I can get is 104 in full screen mode. Testing is done in Chocolate Doom render limits and Prboom plus -Complevel 2. In no rush to submit the map, I want it to be perfect from my perspective. Remember, this is a MAP29 so it needs to be relatively challenging, there are two Cyberdemons at the end.

1 hour ago, complexDoomer said:

Finish map

Red key is missing on difficulties under UV. There's this weird HOM behind the red door and also two W1 Door Open Stay lines (972 and 1669) both of which aren't necessary. Overall this feels like a beginning-of-episode style map, pretty decent gameplay-wise. Not really sure if the green-brick at the beginning area really fits the overall design of the map.

Testing on Choco doom, we seem to have more problems. Trying to enter sector 244 crashed Chocolate Doom, the stairs at the beginning have tutti-fruttis, and there's more on linedefs 1457 and 1469, as well as in the exit room on 902 and 917.

EDIT: also mark the teleporter that leads back to the red door.

Feedback for @dt_'s map Chillwell:

-There's a hall of mirror effect past the red key somewhere around linedef 2268.

-The switch textures leading to the exit near the hell knights all have tutti-frutti effects.

-The area that gives you the rocket launcher could use more health. I was taking hits all around from hitscanners and I had trouble locating them (namely those sneaky chaingunners in sector 300) it seems pretty tough for such an early map, so I don't think adding health should be too much of an issue. Possibly a medikit or two - though apparently there was a medikit behind the chaingunner tower, but had no idea to even look there when I played.

-Maybe replace one of the stimpacks with a medikit in the chaingun area to the north. It can also be hard to keep track of all the hitscanners there so I took a heavy hit when I went there the first time.

-I hit the seglimit when walking up the steps leading up to the blue key, and hit it again when I was around that same angle facing northwest towards the platform with the imp and cacodemon.

So far this map does feel a bit scrappy at the start, since I also missed the shotgun on my first run through and had to rely on the berserk pack when I took that route the first time. I can understand it in a setting where someone is playing continuously, but maybe setting some extra shells near the shotgun would help liven things up a bit. So far I'm liking the attention to detail and atmosphere in areas like the berserk fist room, and the secrets are pretty clever - I only find the blue armor switch secret to be too well hidden blending with the red, and possibly the sector 291 secret. I'm also not sure what the hint for that sector 387 secret is. It's a pretty big map for an early entry as well so depending when we get the other maps there's a possibility it could be shifted to another slot, but we'll have to wait and see. Also please don't forget to add the player 2, 3 & 4 starts and implement difficulty settings. So far it looks pretty promising.

I've been busy these past days so it's taken a while to get around playing these maps. I'll be sure to check the other ones soon.

Cool guys thanks for playing.  I had a hard time getting the blue key area under limits, I think I got it at 127 planes as well.  Will rework that area, possibly raising the ground up a bit so there's not so much height play involved.  The former human is intended to draw the player round the corner to see the sg but that does not appear to be working, I will rework that area slightly in an upcoming revision along with mp support and skill modes.  If you're talking about the megasphere secret, the wall texture is moved up slightly to reveal some of the red texturing on the bottom, I intended it to be very hard to spot due to it potentially being a tad op.  However, with the lower res of choco (I did most of my testing in boom) it was nigh on impossible to spot, so I may give the player a bit more of a chance to see it

11 hours ago, complexDoomer said:

Finish map

Capture.PNG

compmap12.zip

This map needs a lot of work. If you lower the light levels of sectors highlighted here to a brightness level of 128 (same brightness of the room) you will vastly decrease the visplane overflow limit in that room and the map won't crash vanilla.

vpo_problem.png

My thoughts on ComplexDoomer's level:

- It feels very basic and uninspired. Layout is quite noticeably blocky, doesn't have an impressive flow or design.

- It is TOO easy. My map right after yours is actually hell compared to this. Alien Vendetta, one of the wad's main inspiration, had 300+ monsters on map10.

- The double Archviles felt very unfitting, as the rest of the map is just low tier monsters and very few medium tier ones. Still they weren't difficult to deal with.

- Would be better if the ammo was easier to find/more noticeable. 

- Texture choices were weird, mostly at the beginning.

- Some lifts don't work.

- There's a few stuck monsters.

Oh, also, it exceeds visplane limits and has tutti frutti glitches right at the stairs at the beginning. Did you playtest this in vanilla?

Edited by Juza

Oh yeah, forgot to mention there were some visplane issues with MAP12, especially in the room pcorf mentioned.

The download link for Toxic Disgust in the OP is broken btw.

@dt_: Finished my feedback for Chillwell now:

- I like the non-linearity of the map, there are several different routes.
- 100% all stats was possible.
- I agree with valkiriforce about the start needing more ammo and I think the shotgun should be in the first room or out in the open in sector 41 to avoid overusage of the pistol.
- The area around sector 35 has nice shading! A minor complaint here would be though about the usage of the SHELT2 texture, it fits better on smaller surfaces I think, otherwise it can look too "busy", at least to me. Some additional cliff wall detail might be nice as well.
- I like the sector 31 crawlspace.

- Sectors 75 looks nice! So does sector 172 with it's real nice shading effect using sector 170.
- Sector 397 is a clever and challenging to find secret! Not too hard though, imo.
- The area around sectors 222 and 236 could need a bit more wall detail I think.
- The sector 266 secret is another clever one, I like that you find the hole in the ground and fall down. Perhaps the entire secret should be marked hidden though.
- In sector 166 I have the same concern about the SHELT2 texture. Sector 376 and 140 could also need some wall detail. In other aspects though, I like the looks of this area as well, nice atmosphere too. Great shading once again!
- Sector 277 is in another smart secret! Same for S305 and the chain of secrets nearby! All in all the secrets were clever and I had fun hunting for them!

- I did find two VPO's in sectors 120 and 152, shown in these pics:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/1q6a6gbn5k5ibfx/Akeldama_Map03_VPO1.jpg/file

http://www.mediafire.com/view/d2w1balcn3ai2c6/Akeldama_Map03_VPO2.jpg/file

All in all a solid map, it may need some tweaking though to be really good, but already now definitely more good than bad.

8 hours ago, The_SloVinator said:

Layout is complete & so is adding items.

Now onto monster placement, traps & balancing things out.

Last caps before I finish the map.

DOOM0006.png

DOOM0007.png

DOOM0008.png

DOOM0009.png

Well I'm happy I'm not the only one that contributed with a brownish map that differs a lot from the tech bases already seen :)