Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
C. Blacktoe

Independent WADS

(pre-note: what I'm looking for is what i guess is mega-WAD, packages containing a full game's amount of levels. Please correct me on this if needed) 

There are a lot of WADS and mods oit there but most are mere singel levels or slight changes. What would be called a DOOM clone. 

There were the games like Hexen and Duke Nukem 3d that was called this but worked properly as their own game still. 

What mega-WADS are there that works so well as their own game? 

I have tried and found Ultimate Torment & Torture to fit well. It still feel like a Doom game, maybe a sequel. It ads enough to the doom enginge to make it feel completely fresh. Have been on a hunt for games of that feeling since. 

Games that started as a mod but could work very well as it's own game (like Counter Strike comes from Half Life) 

17 minutes ago, C. Blacktoe said:

Have you tried googling "mega-WADS"?

1 hour ago, Vorpal said:

Have you tried googling "mega-WADS"?

While I do feel as dumb as you make me feel, yes I have done that but only öy found a very few ones that felt right which is why I'm asking for a helping hand in the matter

The term you're looking for is "total conversion", things that turn Doom into something else entirely. A megawad is simply a wad that replaces all (or lots of) levels of Doom without necessarily providing any gameplay modifications.

Here are a couple that change literally everything, turning Doom into almost a completely new game:

HacX (one of my favourites!)

Batman Doom
Action Doom 1 and 2 (requires Zdoom)

Some more that overhaul a good amount of content (also called "partial conversions"):

Aliens TC (the OG total conversion, based on the movie)

STRAIN

Struggle

Rowdy Rudy

There's also the total conversions page on Doom Wad Station, though the quality of the TCs hosted is... variable, to say the least.

Hope that's enough to keep you busy for a while. I'd actually been thinking of starting a thread to list all of these myself!

This should help you out too. Bigggg ol list of IWADs that use the Doom engine to make totally different games.

Edited by NerdyButLazy

8 hours ago, kmxexii said:

This is pretty much what @Impie does. https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Mike_MacDee_(Impie) Strange Aeons is the one I know him for but there are at least six other new worlds for you to explore.

Thanks for the mention!

I usually make mods that try to stand out as their own thing, rather than map packs alone.

Mods I've played that do this besides the ones mentioned above? Soulcrusher for Doom 2, Encrypter for Heretic, and of course Pirate Doom.

Soulcrusher was straight up trying to be a sort of "lost 90s shooter", but I'm not sure if it was ever finished, and I found the maps suffered from "so over-detailed I can't find where to go or what is and is not a fucking door" syndrome.

Encrypter is a neat little arabian-themed fantasy game using the Heretic engine. I never finished it, but it also has a "lost shooter" feel.

Pirate Doom is just an amazing tribute to Monkey Island, which I never got into, but I love how the tongue-in-cheek pirate motif meshes with Doom.

HACX/Harmony, the classicTM  example.
And from my knowledge, you are looking for something like "Total Conversions". There are a shitload of them on ZDoom forums, and they are pretty good. 
Here are some: SoulCrusher, Laz Rojaz's WolfenDoom Series, Wolfenstein Blade of Agony, Ashes 2063, The Golden Souls Series, Castlevania 1 TC.
Also check this image out.

On 1/27/2019 at 12:26 PM, C. Blacktoe said:

(pre-note: what I'm looking for is what i guess is mega-WAD, packages containing a full game's amount of levels. Please correct me on this if needed) 

There are a lot of WADS and mods oit there but most are mere singel levels or slight changes. What would be called a DOOM clone. 

There were the games like Hexen and Duke Nukem 3d that was called this but worked properly as their own game still. 

On a semi-related note, the Cacowards pages do list some total conversions:

https://www.doomworld.com/cacowards/

14 hours ago, C. Blacktoe said:

Awsome tips everyone. Trying them out one by one, pretty on and wasting most of the little free time i have. Worth it though

Time enjoyed is not wasted.

15 hours ago, Empyre said:

Time enjoyed is not wasted.

Well said. playing is awsome fun and no thought about time is spent until I stop playing and realised theres a bunch of other things i should have done and I feel all bad about it, though then I start the game back up and continue playing and all is good again.

1 hour ago, jamondemarnatural said:

Rare that nobody say's Total Chaos, that a own game too.

did find that one and thought is was awsome the little bit i played of it (did not have the nerves for it, need a game where you can mow enemies down)

On 1/31/2019 at 8:34 AM, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Here are some: SoulCrusher, Laz Rojaz's WolfenDoom Series, Wolfenstein Blade of Agony, Ashes 2063, The Golden Souls Series, Castlevania 1 TC.
Also check this image out.

I have tried to get Wolfensein BOA to run but so far been unsuccessful so far. The file i downloaded hade the files but only played another game present in the same folder. I feel stupid enough to sak about this one

13 minutes ago, C. Blacktoe said:

I have tried to get Wolfensein BOA to run but so far been unsuccessful so far. The file i downloaded hade the files but only played another game present in the same folder. I feel stupid enough to sak about this one

Well, then you can simply put the boa_c2.pk3 file in your installed BoA game folder, rather than using the default executable itself (it's basically a modified GZDOOM executable); then follow one of the mod-loading options in this image
By the way, can you please take your time to write a post? 

On 2/4/2019 at 12:05 PM, C. Blacktoe said:

Well said. playing is awsome fun and no thought about time is spent until I stop playing and realised theres a bunch of other things i should have done and I feel all bad about it, though then I start the game back up and continue playing and all is good again.

did find that one and thought is was awsome the little bit i played of it (did not have the nerves for it, need a game where you can mow enemies down)

Also, Blade of Agony is not technically finished yet.  It is supposed to have 3 episodes total, and right now, only 2 are completed.  I'd hold off on playing it until the entire mod is finished.  

While I have to praise Ashes 2063 for being a fun game, the highway level fucks it up. all my weapons are gone when i enter that level. anyone who knows anything about it?

18 minutes ago, C. Blacktoe said:

While I have to praise Ashes 2063 for being a fun game, the highway level fucks it up. all my weapons are gone when i enter that level. anyone who knows anything about it?

Its had a few updates over the last few months hasn't it?

44 minutes ago, C. Blacktoe said:

This was a bug caused by a GZDoom update, it's fixed in the latest version of Ashes.

13 hours ago, whirledtsar said:

This was a bug caused by a GZDoom update, it's fixed in the latest version of Ashes.

14 hours ago, Beezle said:

Its had a few updates over the last few months hasn't it?

realised it must've been someting like that but i'm having a problem finding the latest version