Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I never noticed this texturing bug/quirk on Tricks and Traps before. Can't unsee it now!

I guess I can add another texturing bug/quirk. This one is on The Abandoned Mines at the yellow key room. Didn't know some ceilings were floating on the sky!

9mCRgs6.png

2 hours ago, Beezle said:

I noticed the spawn cubes go to these exact spots only

yeah, cube destinations are just invisible things with the special ednum, placed on the map. icon basically just throwing cubes at each this thing in turn, telefragging anything that happened to be on a spawn point (even player with godmode cheat turned on).

For some reason I thought the explosions during the death of icon of sin were only decorative, but they hurt actually.

6 hours ago, seed said:

You can actually punch barrels into enemies :v. 

and teleports

23 hours ago, Jon said:

and teleports

Indeed, you can create landmines in vanilla Doom by triggering crushers with barrels into teleporters.

On 1/30/2019 at 2:45 AM, Pierrot said:

For some reason I thought the explosions during the death of icon of sin were only decorative, but they hurt actually.

That's how I finished Doom 2 the first time, I jumped ahead by reflex when the big monster died, then my marine died, but I still won the game. Guess that was the end of Doomguy, RIP, but he saved our planet.

On 1/26/2019 at 10:03 PM, Erick said:

This one is on The Abandoned Mines at the yellow key room. Didn't know some ceilings were floating on the sky!

Isn't that a ceiling teleport pad? It's a pretty common occurrence, and no surprise to see it floating, given that it's HELL.

@Erick @printz

It's the ceiling of a teleport pad on the floor, yes, but I doubt it's intentional since you can't ever see it in vanilla and it's just a plain flat, not a mirroring of the floor pad.  It's only visible in that shot because of the severe mouselook angle that's only possible in ports that have unrestrained looking angles.

I usually find out stuff just to forget what it was and find it all out again, so..

lately I found out that atleast a version of the Doom 2 exe has an extra area in Map03, The Gantlet; it's a hidden closet located in one of the pool's corners that was removed in the more popular releases of the game.

god knows which other areas may have been edited out throughout the game as newer versions of the game were released back then.

the red building in Citadel (Map19) was maybe meant to have more rooms because when you noclip around it you can literally walk up and down stairsteps in the non-textured area of the building. a door point located on the other side of the building can also be seen in the automap that is actually covered by red bricks.

the "corner" tagged as secret in Hell Mountin (Map04 in No rest for the living) should be a necessary trigger to unlock access the secret exit (which is located all the way to another side of the map).

some people would think that corner was tagged as secret by mistake.

y'all feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about my stuff.

Edited by OleBumma

11 hours ago, OleBumma said:

lately I found out that atleast a version of the Doom 2 exe has an extra area in Map03, The Gantlet; it's a hidden closet located in one of the pool's corners that was removed in the more popular releases of the game.

god knows which other areas may have been edited out throughout the game as newer versions of the game were released back then.

There may be some confusion here. A small area was added to The Gantlet in later patches.

Map 11 has a non-secret wall that you can walk through. It's located near the staircase where the arch-vile first appears. (The metallic area, not the outsidey ones).

map11secret.png.608751ad0f892deb1f2c0cdbe026fd28.png

It's rather handy to know as apparently it contains a soulsphere! :o

10 hours ago, damerell said:

There may be some confusion here. A small area was added to The Gantlet in later patches.

I thought it was the other way around.. thanks for clearing up ^^

1 hour ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Map 11 has a non-secret wall that you can walk through. It's located near the staircase where the arch-vile first appears. (The metallic area, not the outsidey ones).

Well, that was well hidden!

2 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

map11secret.png.608751ad0f892deb1f2c0cdbe026fd28.png

That doesn't look like O of Destruction to me.  MAP11 of what wad?

O, I see.  I was seeing a blue door from a distance in the screenshot, but when I went to the blue door, it looked nothing like the screenshot.  Now, I see that it is across the O from the blue door.

5 minutes ago, Fonze said:

I miss when this thread didn't list off stuff I could find on the wiki...

Guess not everyone is going there, heh.

The great prank that is the -turbo parameter (which didn't print any messages in its first implementation, as it was added in secret just to help Shawn Green defeat Romero at deathmatch) reached its glorious conclusion when wounded Romero ran towards the Berserk by the staircase on MAP13, only for Green to turbo-sprint past him, run up the stairs, drop down on the Berserk from above and punch him in the face.

44 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

Hahaha, I like the ouchface as he sees an imp emerging from the wall.

Looks like Doomguy changing his haircut on the fly.

3 hours ago, Ad009 ZA001 said:

A Spider Mastermind can infight with another Spider Mastermind, if provoked.

True enough, which can't be that common unless there's multiple masterminds in the same area of a level. That particular arrangement must be rather rare.

I would think SMM's infighting is be due to the fact that bullets and shells will hurt anyone, regardless of whether they are the same things (so a zombieman can kill another zombieman, a sergeant can kill/wound another sergeant, etc.). Perhaps I'm wrong and there's more to it than that.

1 hour ago, Fonze said:

I miss when this thread didn't list off stuff I could find on the wiki...

Oh, I wish that were true!

When this project completes, I hope Ling will make scrapes available so I can start transcribing everything.

2 hours ago, Pegleg said:

True enough, which can't be that common unless there's multiple masterminds in the same area of a level. That particular arrangement must be rather rare.

The Spirit World (kind of hard to pull off as they are on opposite sides of a rocky outcropping, so it's generally much simpler and faster to kill both of them with the BFG than to attempt to lure one to the other side so that they can infight) and Redemption Denied (ridiculously easy to pull off and IMO the canon way Doomguy solves that encounter since the victory screen talks about you "turning the evils of Hell against itself") are official maps where it happens.

2 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Perhaps I'm wrong and there's more to it than that.

No, there isn't. It's exactly that, hitscans always hurt while projectiles don't hurt the same monster class as the shooter (with hardcoded handling to treat knights and barons as the same class for this purpose).

Also: splash damage always hurt, too (except cybie and spidie, who are immune to it), so if you dehacked change a normal (not a spidie or cybie) monster to shoot rockets, it will be able to hurt and infight with its fellow because of the splash damage. It'll also be able to kill itself.

does anybody know if there's a wall covering the tunnel leading to the secret exit in Map15 (Industrial Zone) that only toggles off if you're regularily playing throughout the whole gameplay?

I tried loadin up Map15 individually just to find a wall being there, lockin my access to the teleporter.. also tried to speed run everything from Map01 to 15, in God mode, and the wall was still there! then when I tried everything again in a regular gameplay the wall was finally toggled off. I don't know if it's a trick of the source port I'm using or an actual setting of the wad.

I know that wall does exist in wads were the secret maps were removed, so it makes me wonder what kind of evilish things was going on. :o

The secret tunnel is opened when you cross the pedestal with the invulnerability sphere guarded by (up to) three cacos, on the eastern side of the big lava lake in the center of the map.

And to open that passage, you need to activate the switch that's on a small island in the south of said lake, with a radsuit and some cell packs. Jump from the fortress in the main island.

3 hours ago, Gez said:

No, there isn't. It's exactly that, hitscans always hurt while projectiles don't hurt the same monster class as the shooter

yeah. infighting is provoking by damage -- that's why one hell knight, for example, can shoot a barrel, it explodes, causes damage to another hell knight, and wow -- two hell knights suddenly claws each other to death (as melee attack is always success). and bullets (aka hitscans) are not smart enough to know that they shouldn't hurt the same specie. ;-)