Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valkiriforce

Akeldama - Now on Idgames!

8 hours ago, DJVCardMaster said:

Well I'm happy I'm not the only one that contributed with a brownish map that differs a lot from the tech bases already seen :)

I know some people won't like it since it's brown everywhere but idc, I love brown textures & with this map, I took a break from tech bases.

1 hour ago, The_SloVinator said:

I know some people won't like it since it's brown everywhere but idc, I love brown textures & with this map, I took a break from tech bases.

I also like it, but it's good to take breaks from techbases, it's the only thing I usually do

Brown maps are essential for a Doom 2 megawad--it just wouldn't be right without at least one.   Here's an updated map view of my brown mapakdmjp25current.png.365a39402659f0be751d0067d792769c.png

I have some thoughts on how to fix the vpo-room in map12; hopefully it makes sense.

1494428611_map12suggestions.png.837ccc77f2694ae4c7093c2deb424ba3.png

@Gothic: I tried testing your map today, but ran into a problem, right now it can't be run in Chocolate Doom/renderlimits because the flat GREEN_B2 can't be found. Sector 838 has this error.

15 minutes ago, waverider said:

@Gothic: I tried testing your map today, but ran into a problem, right now it can't be run in Chocolate Doom/renderlimits because the flat GREEN_B2 can't be found. Sector 838 has this error.

Have you tried loading the resource wad with the -merge command instead of -file?

My map is mostly done and it has certainly been fun creating it, but I'll probably do a few tweaks to it. I don't plan to submit it until there are at least 20 maps are submitted for this project. Hopefully by the time I submit it it will be as good as I can get it to be.

ak29map.png

My map is tentatively ready: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4haoxgffifo973v/bts.wad?dl=1

Title is Breaching the Source.

For now there's only UV, I still have to do difficulty setting, add stuff for coop. For sure it is well balanced in this state so if you like to suffer give it a go. I hope it doesn't turn out to be too long for who doesn't know how to progress. The secret exit is already included.

Forgot to say that it plays on MAP15.

Edited by gaspe

3 questions:

1. Will this only be single player or will have coop & deathmatch?

2. Can we include custom music or is there someone who is composing it?

3. Do we have to add or remove things for different difficulties?

1 hour ago, The_SloVinator said:

3 questions:

My map actually supports every single game mode and difficulty, and for the moment uses a Memento Mori track, so yeah, you can at least try to support coop. And yes you need to add/remove things yo support the 3 difficulties

23 hours ago, gaspe said:

My map is tentatively ready: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4haoxgffifo973v/bts.wad?dl=1

For now there's only UV, I still have to do difficulty setting, add stuff for coop. For sure it is well balanced in this state so if you like to suffer give it a go. I hope it doesn't turn out to be too long for who doesn't know how to progress. The secret exit is already included.

Seems okay to me. The nastiest parts are the circular room with the revenants and the normal exit room so those can be lightened for the lower settings. Will do some more testing on Choco Doom later

7 hours ago, The_SloVinator said:

3 questions:

1. This should definitely have multiplayer support, so make sure there are no parts of the map that close off and prevent other players from entering the same areas.

2. You can include music for your map to give an idea of what atmosphere your map is supposed to have, but likely we will be getting some custom music somewhere down the line, but for the moment the focus has been on the maps themselves.

3. Definitely balance your map for each difficulty so casual and experienced players alike can enjoy it. If there isn't any difficulty settings I can always settle it myself and make edits where its necessary, but I would rather encourage that people do this themselves and the playtesters can give feedback if there are any other adjustments that should be made.

On 1/29/2019 at 5:03 PM, Gothic said:

Have you tried loading the resource wad with the -merge command instead of -file?

Just tried -merge instead, but that doesn't work either.

Update: Now I feel real stupid. :P Should've of course thought of checking to see if there was a newer version of the resource wad before whining. :) The version that I had up until now was downloaded 11 days ago so I just assumed it was the latest one, silly me. ;) The latest resource wad from the front page indeed has those "missing textures". Oh well, sorry. :P I'll be back soon with the full feedback of the map.

Edited by waverider

Quick question, since i was planning to do a playtest run of at least the first chapter, if anyone would like a specific test of a map (other than DM and COOP) ill try to help (easier difficulties/bug-hunting/general feedback/ect...).

On 1/29/2019 at 1:50 PM, gaspe said:

Good Plutonia 2 feels on this one, my only concerns are the leap of faith on linedef 707 in which you don't know if you are going to fall to the nukage or in safe land. Also the switch that opens up the secret on the soulsphere is way to difficult to spot, maybe moving it a little bit to the right without being to obvious.
Also linedef 1362 should be a switch, not a fan of humping walls on a non secret area, I thought I was stuck in there.

@Gothic: Finished feedback on your map:

- Nice music track!
- 100% all stats is possible.
- I didn't really find any bugs, just some trees that partly went through walls in sector 758.
- I loved the three "secrets-in-secrets" in this map, I've always been fond of that! They're cleverly made as well. I liked all secrets, they were clever and also felt spacious and creative! Only remark I have about the secrets is that the computer map secret is too hard to find I think - the clue at linedef 4479 is too subtle.

- I like the first garden, nice match of textures at linedefs 73 mixed with L1747 above it, especially.
- The cliffwalls in the area around sector 318 may need some extra detail I think, maybe mix them with STONE5 for instance? It's not a bad looking area though, green torches look real nice. So does the narrow windows.

- The Sector 374 room looks great! Good placement of monsters also.
- Also fond of the soulsphere courtyard, inventive usage of the MARBFACE textures - angled instead of the more common straight placement. :)
- The red key room is also nice looking with the fire and "paintings" for instance - also a nice lost soul/caco ambush. Perhaps a caco should teleport into sector 264 when the red key is picked up so that it's not so easy to just run away and camp the monsters inside S264.

- Sector 517 is another great place, with a nice atmosphere and quite an epic feel! The nearby sector 481 room is pretty as well, probably one of my favorite rooms in the map. The nearby cliffs are beautiful too.
- The blue armor secret in a nice looking room, nice mix of different CEMENT textures. Also liked the fight with the revenants here.
- Sector 531 is also a pretty room with well placed monsters.

- Also really liked the sector 170 cavern, it's atmospheric and has well placed monsters. Reminds me of The Path from Hell Revealed - a good thing! :)
- I thought the sector 188 room was really beautiful with it's metal trims along the brick walls. :) I was also fond of the blue key room.
- Final area looks alright but linedefs 1168 and 1600 looks a bit plain at the moment.

- Overall ammo and health balance seems good.
- Monsters are well placed, challenge isn't high but not really easy either I think. Suitable for a Map06.
- General atmosphere is nice and I had lots of fun playing through it all! The visuals are also mostly impressive, only needs a bit of finetuning in mentioned places.

To sum it all up, fun to play with good fights, looks good, has a certain magic feel over it, it has all the ingredients that makes a really good map! :D

@NuMetalManiak That crate secret was, in fact, supposed to be a secret. Have fixed all the problems people have had so far except for difficulty balancing. Do you think the current balance works best for HMP or UV?

I would like to know what about it seems unfinished.

Edited by The Mysterious Moustachio

Title: Orphanage

Here it is!

- Playtested in Chocolate DooM. No visplane overflow, no other crashes or bug as far as I know.

- Coop support. (No deathmatch support since I don't have experience in deathmatch making, though any advice I welcome.)

- Compatible with every skill level.

- No custom music but it would be great if it had an atmospheric music rather than metal. If not, then default track could to the trick.

Any feedback appreciated.

Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9r6bxckqzu7q5m3/ak_orphanage.zip?dl=0

2 hours ago, The_SloVinator said:

Here it is!

- Playtested in Chocolate DooM. No visplane overflow, no other crashes or bug as far as I know.

- Coop support. (No deathmatch support since I don't have experience in deathmatch making, though any advice I welcome.)

- Compatible with every skill level.

- No custom music but it would be great if it had an atmospheric music rather than metal. If not, then default track could to the trick.

Any feedback appreciated.

Enjoy!

Well, to be fair, I felt like playing one of those weird Icarus: Alien Vanguard simulations, not too much going on in this one, it felt empty when suddenly I grab the BK and the map then starts turning into the DooM 64 intro (A place full of random creeps infighting with each other )
The ending was underwhelming at best, and overall you can (You should) skip every single encounter since there is no bother on fighting mid tier enemies with a boomstick and little ammo supplies to work with.

You shouldn't be scared on adding more detail to this map, since none of the areas of the map are not anyway close to the visplane limit (The most you can encounter is not more than 42 visplanes at the most open areas) or adding more "dynamic" lighting in some corridors, it's risky to make a brown map nowadays since there is little you can do with detail and aesthetics with such a design route. I know because my map is a brown mess with some fancy stuff. Feel free to copy some of the detail aspects of my map, in which I tried really hard not to make this map look like an average brown crap, adding some weird geometry on the ceilings or some other interesting stuff like the "wall of faces". It's so far the only other "brown map" in the map set you can study for details, so feel free to share design choices with it, like using board textures such as "PANBORD" or "SUPPORT3" more often when you are going to make a sudden texture change.
In the gameplay department, it should have more ammo supplies and maybe have a non-secret SSG.

@The Mysterious Moustachio, I may have sounded unclear when I said it was unfinished, but that's cause I usually try to get 100% of kills/items/secrets without resorting to noclip or something when testing. The map itself is certainly in a finished state, just those loose ends with the teleporter destinations needed to be looked at. Also I think the current balance is more fitting for UV.

@NuMetalManiak Okay, cool, I just wanted to elaborate on that so I know exactly what to remedy.

I've got a touched up version of Map09 ready here @valkiriforce:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dsuwsm3b8w1646i/wintstrong-013119.wad?dl=1

All that's missing is to balance HMP difficulty and, of course, any more additions that I think up in the future. UV and HNTR should be balanced correctly.

EDIT: Also, forgot to mark some linedefs as hidden on the automap! Will return tomorrow with the HMP difficulty balanced and those lines hidden.

EDIT 2: Had some time tonight to finish the changes to Map09:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/laixtwwgg3qr6cy/wintstrong-013119-2.wad?dl=1

All skill levels have now been accounted for, and some extra detail has been added. Furthermore, some bugs were fixed from the last revision. Tested in Chocorenderlimits.

Edited by The Mysterious Moustachio

On 1/30/2019 at 5:43 PM, NuMetalManiak said:

Seems okay to me. The nastiest parts are the circular room with the revenants and the normal exit room so those can be lightened for the lower settings.

Those will be surely toned down for the lower settings. I'm still not sure about the normal exit room on UV either, maybe it's a bit too cheap but I'm glad that the rest seems fine.

On 1/30/2019 at 10:11 PM, DJVCardMaster said:

Good Plutonia 2 feels on this one, my only concerns are the leap of faith on linedef 707 in which you don't know if you are going to fall to the nukage or in safe land. Also the switch that opens up the secret on the soulsphere is way to difficult to spot, maybe moving it a little bit to the right without being to obvious.

Good suggestions, I'll put a railing so you can jump down only where there's the platform below.

@The_SloVinator Played your map on UV. Here are some thoughts:

-Thing 386 might be too close to the Super Shotgun secret; not sure if it floats in the air in other ports but it seemed just fine in chocorenderlimits/ZDoom/PrBoom+.

-I don't see any kind of hint for the secret to lift the floor for the Mega Armor secret. Seems like it's just a random switch press on one of the platforms.

Unfortunately there's not a whole lot going for this map; lots of hallways and open spaces with either teleporting monsters or monster closets. Seems rather empty of detail in a lot of places as well. I was able to skip some traps like the early armor grab and the blue key grab, since it's easy to run out of the place and avoid all the damage that would be taken. Ammo balance seemed all right, although there were plenty of rockets which made some encounters a cakewalk, and I had rockets to spare. So far I'm not finding this map to be in an acceptable state given how much corridor action there is, and we've also got another map with a large bookcase area similar to the red key wing. That was part of my concern with people making maps of various themes and coming close with settings that are too similar to what's been submitted.

Sorry if this comes as a discouragement, but the map seems like an entry from someone who is new to Doom mapping. I don't see how the map itself could be improved since I think the problem is the layout. I didn't feel there were any memorable encounters, however I did like how the yellow key trap was set up, though it could be improved maybe with trapping the player in the room with some small health supplies. I wasn't fond of the brown themes throughout the map either. The map could benefit greatly with lots of other details including torch inlets, more color variation and open vistas or other views. However, it's likely this map won't be accepted into the mapset.

Nearly finish with my map with just extensive testing, adding some lighting variation and minor details left to do.

DyVlqF6VYAAFdvB.jpg

On 1/31/2019 at 6:11 AM, The_SloVinator said:

Here it is!

Basically gonna echo what valk had said. Only the key encounters were interesting to any degree, and the blue key could actually be mostly mitigated with infighting. Too many rockets, the design of this overall looks like a 90s map, which I guess is okay, but there's certainly a lot of room for improvement.

Well I think its high time where I feel that my map is ready for playtesting :)

Title: Knights of Ilasac

Music: "Interphaze" by David "Tolwyn" Shaw.

There are no difficulty settings yet on this map as it was tested extensively on UV.

Spoiler

DyYdiNpVsAEoWgi.jpg

Edited by Philnemba : Delete download link because its outdated

1 hour ago, Philnemba said:

Well I think its high time where I feel that my map is ready for playtesting :)

Title: Knights of Ilasac

Music: "Interphaze" by David "Tolwyn" Shaw.

There are no difficulty settings yet on this map as it was tested extensively on UV.

Hide contents

DyYdiNpVsAEoWgi.jpg

AK_Phil_Map02beta.zip

This one is great, pretty simple but works, one problem I have is that the valve switch texture doesn't work propperly at least in Chocolate Doom, but that may be a issue with the resource pack, not sure how can it be fixed.
A minor nitpick, you should tag the linedefs of the monster teleporter rooms as "Hidden" so they don't show on the minimap.
Also the chaingun secret room could have a floor moved 8mp down with a nukage floor, just for the sake of aesthetics, but is not a big problem so far.
Map as it is seems alright

15 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

@The_SloVinator Played your map on UV. Here are some thoughts:

-Thing 386 might be too close to the Super Shotgun secret; not sure if it floats in the air in other ports but it seemed just fine in chocorenderlimits/ZDoom/PrBoom+.

-I don't see any kind of hint for the secret to lift the floor for the Mega Armor secret. Seems like it's just a random switch press on one of the platforms.

Unfortunately there's not a whole lot going for this map; lots of hallways and open spaces with either teleporting monsters or monster closets. Seems rather empty of detail in a lot of places as well. I was able to skip some traps like the early armor grab and the blue key grab, since it's easy to run out of the place and avoid all the damage that would be taken. Ammo balance seemed all right, although there were plenty of rockets which made some encounters a cakewalk, and I had rockets to spare. So far I'm not finding this map to be in an acceptable state given how much corridor action there is, and we've also got another map with a large bookcase area similar to the red key wing. That was part of my concern with people making maps of various themes and coming close with settings that are too similar to what's been submitted.

Sorry if this comes as a discouragement, but the map seems like an entry from someone who is new to Doom mapping. I don't see how the map itself could be improved since I think the problem is the layout. I didn't feel there were any memorable encounters, however I did like how the yellow key trap was set up, though it could be improved maybe with trapping the player in the room with some small health supplies. I wasn't fond of the brown themes throughout the map either. The map could benefit greatly with lots of other details including torch inlets, more color variation and open vistas or other views. However, it's likely this map won't be accepted into the mapset.

I see. Oh well. At least I gave it a shot.  

Thanks for the feedback.

I've been working on this simple TITLEPIC, what do you guys think?

pueae.png.9a97e77c210eec8e4d9743eaa23c9b58.png

I like that uroburos-like snake, so I made it a transparent patch in my map, I'm going to upload it with it on my next short update, so it gets updated to the resource pack later, and mappers can mix it with another texture to use it (Don't overuse it by the way) I don't know if that snake could serve as some kind of logo or "signature" for the mapset, but hey, it's cool nonetheless.

Edited by DJVCardMaster