Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

It's just a matter of consistency.
The iwads always have it damaging so I think it should always be damaging. The fact that it's sometimes not damaging makes it unpredictable and sometimes discourages progression by making it seem like you need to get hurt when you don't. And that's not even touching the cases when it's inconsistent whether it's damaging or not in the same map. 

3 minutes ago, TollyCastle said:

And that's not even touching the cases when it's inconsistent whether it's damaging or not in the same map. 

Oh yeah, those instances always suck. This reminds me of Plutonia and its toxic floors, many of which weren't damaging but had a few with water which hurt the player, just like that the logic vanished :v.

With blood however I disagree that there should always be this kind of consistency. For me, it makes a lot of sense to simply think about having different components in different places.

I find Doom 2's "earth" maps so boring and bad that I still haven't finished the game.
I did beat the XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) version of Doom 1 and I haven't played it since even though it's installed on my pc right now.
I liked Doom 3.

5 hours ago, peach freak said:

I don't like when a level has a combination of skull keys and keycards, mainly because I think it looks ugly on the status bar, lol.

Do you mean the combo icon on the status bar if you have both the card and skull of the same color in ports that added a difference between them?  Or just having a mixture of some keys being cards and some being skulls in general?

I dislike the violent/gore aspect of Doom, or at least for the humanoid enemies. The chaingunner death animation is my least favorite.

I never blinked when I played as a kid. It never bothered me when I would gib an enemy in Quake and its head would fly off with a stream of blood.

But now, revisiting the game 20+ years later it just bugs me. I'm looking to replace the zombie/sergeant/HWD with different, non human looking sprites and sounds.

9 hours ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Do you mean the combo icon on the status bar if you have both the card and skull of the same color in ports that added a difference between them?  Or just having a mixture of some keys being cards and some being skulls in general?

The latter one, like Map17 of Doom II (which has keycards and a skull key).

The former one too kind of looks ugly (which is why I don't really use IDKFA in source ports, lol).

14 minutes ago, DharmaForOne said:

I dislike the violent/gore aspect of Doom, or at least for the humanoid enemies. The chaingunner death animation is my least favorite.

I'm the opposite, the former humans/possessed gore is my favorite, and their death sounds are funny too. Chaingunning waves of Shotgun Guys or Zombiemen is quite satisfying imo.

I use the Plasma Gun in Chocolate Doom moreso than in other source ports.

It has to do with the fact that in Chocolate Doom, you can customize how many sound channels there are. I always kept it at the default, 3. The Plasma Gun sounds a lot better/cooler this way and makes the gun a lot more fun to use. It sounds awful and it discourages me from using it on other source ports where the sound channels are maxed out. Borderline bleeds your ears.

5 hours ago, peach freak said:

It has to do with the fact that in Chocolate Doom, you can customize how many sound channels there are.

So which are these ports that don't let you change the number of sound channels?

31 minutes ago, Grazza said:

So which are these ports that don't let you change the number of sound channels?

My bad, guess I didn't look too hard enough. :P

I tested it in GZDoom and I did notice a difference.

Still, I think the Plasma Gun sounds and feels best in Vanilla Doom.

1 hour ago, peach freak said:

My bad, guess I didn't look too hard enough. :P

I tested it in GZDoom and I did notice a difference.

Still, I think the Plasma Gun sounds and feels best in Vanilla Doom.

You can change the number of sound channels in pretty much all existing source ports, so it should be possible to achieve the same or a similar result everywhere, not just in vanilla.

Funny, I remember even back in the day when I first played Doom that the PR was pretty loud compared to the rest of the weapons.

I actually never beat the entirety of Sunlust. I was able to finish most maps on stream a long time ago, up to Proxyon I think, which alone is a pretty good personal achievement imo, but then I kinda just never picked it back up.

Also I struggled really hard in it even on HMP. I wouldn't ever dare do a no-save run.

11 hours ago, 129thVisplane said:

Also I struggled really hard in it even on HMP. I wouldn't ever dare do a no-save run.

I no-saved it on, ahem, ITYTD; but in MAP29 I just got fed up and stopped, so I never finished it either.

53 minutes ago, terrcraftguy695 said:

Everytime I die in doom I press 

R

E

S

U

Tab 

Enter

What a monster, what kind of crazy person woul- okay i do so too when i'm not having fun with the map

I also oftentimes play with Super Skulltag, more so than just Vanilla Doom (only if the map doesn't include new monsters or weapons, of course)

Edited by -TDRR-

I just realized I used to not take monster infightings seriously for a long time. I mean, when it accidentally happens (I wouldn't even try to provoke) instead of letting it commence, you having two three or more monsters not bothering you anymore, so go around and grab ammo, kill only what attacks you,. which would be favorable to the player, I just learned to shoot everything and would shoot the infighting monsters, disrupting them. But recently I just got wiser and when it happens I let it happen and go somewhere else, hoping they do the job for me. Even situation where they are 10-20 monsters, if they fight a lot with each other, don't blow them with bazooka or something, just let them all kill each other and seek for health/ammo, only dispatching those who are still attacking you. That's a good strategy to also not waste ammo.

also, there is "dooring" strategy. like, stand behind a door, quickly open and close it. listen how the crowd on the other side starts shooting at a door, and accidentally hits each other. wait until it silenced. repeat. ;-)

Speaking of infighting, in episodes 2 and 3 of Doom, I always create these 2-on-1 fights with Cacodemons and Barons of Hell. I'll get a Cacodemon and a Baron of Hell to start fighting each other, then I use the Shotgun and start shooting at the Baron while they're fighting, so me and the Cacodemon for a moment are teaming up. Usually the Baron kills the Cacodemon before I can kill the Baron.

Only exception is Fortress of Mystery. I've always, going back as a kid, just found it entertaining to clear out both rooms with a Plasma Gun.

3 hours ago, peach freak said:

Only exception is Fortress of Mystery. I've always, going back as a kid, just found it entertaining to clear out both rooms with a Plasma Gun.

Yeah, Petersen's idea of making a map that's supposed to be based around exploiting infighting kind of falls apart when the player gets there with extra supplies, which is probably the usual way most people played the level, so...

On 2/2/2019 at 1:29 PM, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Yeah, Petersen's idea of making a map that's supposed to be based around exploiting infighting kind of falls apart when the player gets there with extra supplies, which is probably the usual way most people played the level, so...

Conversely pistol starting it on -fast is a happy fun time for all.

Ultimate Doom: E4 Nightmare is a joke, and I can't play it to save my life. Its been 15 years since I was introduced to it, I Can accomplish the other 3 episodes for nightmare on a few ports... but I'm not any better at the 'Gatekeeper' for the full game still... :(

@Alexo I fell your pain. I too completed the first three episodes on NM without too much trouble, but in E4 I only managed to exit E4M1 with A LOT of savescumming, and even so with barely any health and ammo at all - definitely not enough to even think of making it through Perfect Hatred, saves or no saves.

4 hours ago, Rathori said:

@Alexo I fell your pain. I too completed the first three episodes on NM without too much trouble, but in E4 I only managed to exit E4M1 with A LOT of savescumming, and even so with barely any health and ammo at all - definitely not enough to even think of making it through Perfect Hatred, saves or no saves.

I think my way to get past Perfect Hatred on Nightmare is to get the Imps to attack the Shotgun Guys in front of you and then get the two Medikits. Lure the Cacodemon out from the pit in front of you, drop down, get the Radiation Suit, and get the Soulsphere in the back. And then jump past the blue door using the secret area.

On 1/31/2019 at 8:47 PM, terrcraftguy695 said:

Everytime I die in doom I press 

R

E

S

U

Tab 

Enter

Try:

~

B

U

D

Tab

Enter

(Or possibly Tab-Tab-Tab-Enter, if telefrags scare you)