Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay, some people wanted to see Grind2 with more monsters... I just put 117 monsters into Grind2 (after getting rid of the originals) and made some changes I've been wanting. I played through and survived. Saved a couple times. Actually, my concern is that it's probably still easy. I wanted some people to test it and tell me what I need to add so that it's harder. All the guns except for BFG are there.

Aside from the monster placement, which I'm sure is sloppy, and ammo placement which is more than enough to kill everyone, I want some comments on the new effects. Specifically:

* The camera. Both the camera mounted outside and the screen that displays outside.
* The new teleporter from behind the fake MARBFACE wall.
* The new "hint" for the armor in the level.
* And make sure and say what monsters would be good and where.

I also made a few changes for the better to the level:

* That darned TNT detonation booth is better! You can't accidentally hit the switch from outside. I don't think. I tested it for about ten minutes. If you somehow get it to trigger, record me a demo por favor.
* I added a "stop crusher" tag so that after the barrels explode, simulating the "boom" of the TNT, you don't still hear crushing sounds.
* I made the "floor lower" for the TNT box and parts of the wall near it be instantaneous.
* The camera! It's neat. And it tells people who haven't played it before where to go.
* A texture was added for the above effect.
* The double-door by the cave and crates was moved by eight units, so there's just a little more headroom when running down the stairs.
* The marble dip staircase at the start was modified just a little, so the second row isn't made up just of teeth. I think it looks a little weird, but tell me what you think...
* A line or two was made impassible.
* The marble face near the start was made convex on both sides because it looks better that way. =)
* A couple things that none of you will notice, but I decided needed to be fixed. One of these is a linedef that ran very close to another.
* Probably something else that I've forgotten.

I know the monster and item placement are bad, rushed, and lazy, but if you could, tell me what I should improve on.

http://xfury.net/Xarenrath/Grind2X.zip

Oh. And you can post things either here or e-mail me at Kara@xfury.net

...Well, if it's possable, could you make it work with Jdoom? It's the source poet I use for most vanilla doom maps. but You problby can't do anything about it.

Ct_red_pants said:

...Well, if it's possable, could you make it work with Jdoom? It's the source poet I use for most vanilla doom maps. but You problby can't do anything about it.

No, I don't think there's anything I can do about it. It's just a texture problem, though. jDoom makes it so that if there's no wall texture (or it's AASHITTY) it MAKES one. That's why the effect doesn't work right.

Great demo there Opulent! You seem to have enjoyed that. ^_^ Looked like you really knew the level, how many times did you try that? I liked how you "lured" the Arch Viles out of the blue room so you didn't have to fight both at once.

I updated the file a little. I spread out the health boxes because they all seem to be in one place. One's outside, one's in the cave, etc. I also changed the demons on the tables into imps. Did I change anything else? I forgot.

Any other suggestions? And I still want comments on the camera and stuff. =P

Jesus Christ, I gotta stop dieing! I still haven't beaten it, but it's still fun. That cybie kinda unbalances it a good bit though. I keep runnin out of ammo to kill anything in the mancubii area.

Yeah, I tried to keep it sort of at least in the RANGE of being tight on ammo, but with so many baddies, it's easy to finish with more than a few handfulls of ammo.

The Cyberdemon is great out there! He guards like half the level, so you pretty much want to kill him. Not a lot of room to dodge around. Get him to kill some Arachnotrons, it works well. It's hard to do though, I've realized.

Watch Opulent's demo, he does great. I can usually finish it pretty easily. If you need extra ammo, check the bathroom or get monsters to kill eachother.

The new version of Grind2 looks great - just right. One thing though, which I meant to mention earlier: the men's toilet is much too clean and hygienic-looking. There should be dirt and puddles and stuff. :)

I could make a yellow version of FWATER and then make a small brown circle in the toilet. ;)

Yeah, the bathrooms are both sparkly clean. Not sure what I could do to make it less, though. Any suggestions? Puddles where? Where/how should I apply dirt?

Nanami said:

Yeah, the bathrooms are both sparkly clean. Not sure what I could do to make it less, though. Any suggestions? Puddles where? Where/how should I apply dirt?

Well OK, it might be simplest to explain in the text file that it is a brand new facility, which was overrun by demons before the staff had even arrived.

/me goes mad. I tried to make a demo of the level and died in the last archvile because I ran out of ammo and tried to punch it dead :( I'll try again later...

Great monster placement! I really enjoyed the level. Low monster count in the last version was cool too but I still like this one better. I strongly suggest you upload this one too to the archives.

Nanami: I've just mailed you a UV -fast "Almost Max" demo (I forgot a couple of small things, and didn't feel like re-recording). Really tough, and low health for prolonged periods. I finished with a decent amount of ammo and plenty of health though. Some strategy (shock! horror!) was needed early on.

Nightmare, anyone?!

Oh yes, the camera is 1337.

Someone do a speed run!! Or even worse, a Nightmare speedrun pacifist!! Yeah right, it's probably impossible. =P

I'll watch that demo when I get home after work today. Sounds fun.

Oh, and good luck in the future DooMer 4ever! I'll do a demo of it if I think about it.

Played it through on skill3. quite difficult. I kept the cyberdemon around until the end to help with cleanup. For a minute i thought i broke the tnt box 'cause i thought you had to shoot it. Cool effects though, it's a fine level.

Nanami said:

...The Cyberdemon is great out there! He guards like half the level, so you pretty much want to kill him. Not a lot of room to dodge around. Get him to kill some Arachnotrons, it works well. It's hard to do though, I've realized...

I plaster the arachs thru the window, and let the cybie kill those behind the blue door. :) Mind you, I'm an ammo conservator and I keep running dry. I guess 5th time is the charm... :)

Neat, kind of like my demo... but better (a bit faster and you didn't forget the bathroom secret.) You had a close call there with the pack of Revenants, heh.

Heh, I tried to do an UV pacifist demo, but it VERY hard. I managed to get the yellow key, push the switch at the two arviles, run out and blow the wall but died then. It's nearly impossible after that because the room behind the wall is too tiny and the archviles are really annoying.