Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MadGuy

Play doom in 2d

This is a good start towards making a 2D platformer within the doom engine! That said, this is a really unfair introduction level. You have an inescapable death drop which is completely off-camera as the very first jump in the game, and it's also blocked by monsters that are off-camera meaning you don't know to shoot them, making it very likely you'll die. The concept is interesting but I think some heavy tweaking and some studying of what makes 2D platformers good will be needed. :)

As someone that likes the Jazz Jackrabbit way, I would prefer no death pits at all. And no instant kill spikes, IMO those only work in VVVVVV. Spikes that hurt are okay.

Needs to be zoomed out a bit more, and possibly have more stuff going on in the background. In fact, I see some cool mechanics that could be possible here monsters, like demons coming out from doors that open in the background and merging onto the main path, with a chance of surrounding the player. Also, instead of having a straight path, it could turn at 90 degrees once you reach the end of the section, showing off another vantage point of the previous background. So many possibilities here and none taken. :(

I think a 2D mod like this needs to take advantage of the 3D space available...

I am also not sure if you really need the Doom statusbar here. It's taking up so much screenspace, and this mod in particular looks like it could use every single inch of the screen it can possibly occupy. Therefore you may want to come up with a more subtle approach to display player stats.

19 minutes ago, Impboy4 said:

.Didn't Tormentor do something like this already? 

Well in this case I only have used Doom 3 BFG Edition third person cvars and just made a vanilla doom map.

No additional scripts.

I like the concept! Although I would also point out this isn't 2D, it's still 3D. You can move left and right, towards and away from the camera, and up and down (e.g. into a death pit).

If you're going to have movement towards and away from the camera you need to tilt the angle up so you can properly see where you are on the Y axis. I'd second the idea of pulling the camera way back too: enemies shooting you from offscreen is just bad platforming mechanics. 

Perhaps add a "check distance to player" mechanic to monsters' behavior and only allow them to fire once they're close enough to be in the picture? 

1 hour ago, Bauul said:

I like the concept! Although I would also point out this isn't 2D, it's still 3D. You can move left and right, towards and away from the camera, and up and down (e.g. into a death pit).

If you're going to have movement towards and away from the camera you need to tilt the angle up so you can properly see where you are on the Y axis. I'd second the idea of pulling the camera way back too: enemies shooting you from offscreen is just bad platforming mechanics. 

Perhaps add a "check distance to player" mechanic to monsters' behavior and only allow them to fire once they're close enough to be in the picture? 

NO ADDITIONAL SCRIPTS ARE USED.

I literally using the pm_thirdPerson CVars from Doom 3 BFG. Don't ask me to do more advanced stuff. I can make the maps better but nothing more.

36 minutes ago, MadGuy said:

Well... maybe they should be?  Sorry you felt the need to have to yell at me for trying to offer constructive suggestions. My apologies.

11 minutes ago, Bauul said:

Well... maybe they should be?  Sorry you felt the need to have to yell at me for trying to offer constructive suggestions. My apologies.

Nah, I just didn't want to let you and others having false hopes for what my port is capable of.

Doom 2D:Forever. even with netplay.

full disclosure: i am in dev team.

p.s.: sorry for offtopic and shameless advertising, but as MiniDoom was mentioned...

On 2/3/2019 at 7:52 PM, MadGuy said:

I literally using the pm_thirdPerson CVars from Doom 3 BFG. Don't ask me to do more advanced stuff. I can make the maps better but nothing more.

Cool! Are you trying to say that Doom Classic: BFG Edition gives you access to the powerful Doom 3 console in Doom 1? Awesome!

30 minutes ago, printz said:

Cool! Are you trying to say that Doom Classic: BFG Edition gives you access to the powerful Doom 3 console in Doom 1? Awesome!

Well, they would have end up been just doom 3 commands if I haven't put my hands on the engine of Doom Classic: BFG Edition