Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brock

What makes a Good doom wad ?

An over abundance on goodness!

For me personally, sexy macro-architecture always gets me going. 

36 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

A balance of Exploration, Action and Suspense. The three pillars of what makes Doom, Doom. 

this.

I would like to say doom.wad is a good doomwad.

1 hour ago, Mr. Freeze said:

A balance of Exploration, Action and Suspense. The three pillars of what makes Doom, Doom. 

It's A sad day when a furry gives the best advice out of all.

Well, calculating all answers:

Good design, good gameplay, good balance, good sprites and textures, good music -> makes a Good doom wad. Heh. BUT THAT'S TRUE

My rules for a good WAD:

1) Fair, balanced battles with adequate ammo and health

2) Clean and polished level design, not overly detailed but not under detailed either, good texture use and alignments

3) Easy to navigate levels, no switch hunting and maze like rooms (unless it is meant to be an actual maze by design on purpose)

4) Non-linear layouts with paths that loop around and reconnect with other areas giving a smooth flow

As I once said many years ago in a similar thread...

Having the author be James "Phobus" Cresswell

3 minutes ago, Phobus said:

As I once said many years ago in a similar thread...

Having the author be James "Phobus" Cresswell

Jeez your ego is bigger then a mega wad.  (Jk)

yakfak is wrong #AllGameplayMatters

Make it look like non-garbage, try to do something unique and interesting with the visuals/monster encounters or both, and try to avoid bullshit traps that are basically guaranteed to kill you (especially late in map, that’s just cruel)

Challenging, but fair levels with clever secrets, monster placement and good ammo balance (not too much, but enough). And of course not lazy map design, use imagination.

Edited by Rimantas

A wad is good when it remove the SSG entirely and nerf the BFG.
If we are talking about level packs/megawads, then they must have good level designs (obviously) and don't use dull textures much. Also the beginning maps (in those WADs) must not be turned into slaughterfests or BFG-spamming (well, pistol-starting shits don't count here)

12 hours ago, Nevander said:

My rules for a good WAD:

1) Fair, balanced battles with adequate ammo and health

2) Clean and polished level design, not overly detailed but not under detailed either, good texture use and alignments

3) Easy to navigate levels, no switch hunting and maze like rooms (unless it is meant to be an actual maze by design on purpose)

4) Non-linear layouts with paths that loop around and reconnect with other areas giving a smooth flow

^This. I addition to this I would add:

5) Variety of visuals/aesthetics (e.g not same brown, brown and brown like Plutonia)

6) Intelligent use of monsters (e.g using a lone Pain Elemental in area where player can easily get near him is not intelligent use because player can harmlessly kill him by punching him)

7) Similar to point 1, make sure that player has JUST enough ammo so that he can get 100% kills without relying on monster infighting.

9 hours ago, Doomkid said:

and try to avoid bullshit traps that are basically guaranteed to kill you (especially late in map, that’s just cruel)

I too HATE such traps where the only way to survive them is knowing beforehand what to expect.

memorability and novelty is what I value most in wads. There are so many "good" wads out there these days that I feel like a mappers own unique vision and style is the biggest source of sticking power for a wad.

On 2/4/2019 at 2:29 AM, Rimantas said:

Challenging, but fair levels with clever secrets, monster placement and good ammo balance (not too much, but enough). And of course not lazy map design, use imagination.

What Do you mean by lazy map design ? You mean Not boring looking rooms ?