Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

@The Mysterious Moustachio

(Note: the music has been updated and is slightly different than the track heard here.)

Doomworld forum topic

Worth the wait. This is a fun one. Some may think it has too many supplies, but at the end of the day, there’s a fun challenge even with somehwhat indiscriminate BFG-ing and enough health to reset between most encounters. I really like the cyberdemon placements in the middle – such that it’s never going to be all that prudent to kill them but they will annoy you most of the map. Some of the encounters were slightly campable, but overall the gameplay was quite enjoyable. Visually, it’s fresh and good. This mapper clearly knows how to put good stuff together within vanilla limits.

Bottom line: No major secret slot gimmick but a solid quasi-slaughter map

@DJVCardMaster (My apologies. I actually played the first three in the old version. I had forgotten I still had the old one, so when I went to play it, I just grabbed that and only noticed when I saw the sky texture in your thread.)

Doomworld forum topic

I like what was done with the layout within vanilla limits: a lot of sight lines and a rather nonlinear experience. You can tell that Doom E1 is a major influence, but the map feels like it has a little bit of identity and isn’t a map that could be an alternate E1M1. There may be a little too much pistoling, and the chaingun room gets a little boring, but not having incredibly engaging combat is not much of a letdown in a Map 01.

Bottom line: this classic opener does what it’s supposed to do and makes me want to see more

@DJVCardMaster

Doomworld forum topic

This map seems like it belongs in the first episode of Doom 2. It takes you to numerous places without really losing cohesion. It does have a couple somewhat lengthy backtracks, but it’s not too bad and it’s not confusing. There are some nice traps here, like the demons in the dark with imps behind, but there are some cliché traps and a few that didn’t work properly or could be improved. Overall a slight step down from Map 01, but there’s certainly nothing here that makes me want to quit.

Bottom line: Lines and vertices over things in this one

@DJVCardMaster

Doomworld forum topic

This map feels like it perhaps tried to do too much. There are basically four distinct areas off a hub, and they’re all rather different looking, but the combat doesn’t change too much. It’s basically all low-tier enemies in incidental situations and conventional traps. So far this mapper does seem to use the demon pretty well, but the hitscan combat, while pretty fun in many places, felt borderline cheap in other places. I also wonder about the balance between finding vs. not finding the super shotgun secret

Bottom line: It feels like it might have been made with less mapping experience than the others so far, but at the end of the day, it’s classic Doom.

@xdarkmasterx

Doomworld forum topic

The idea here could have been interesting, but the lack of effort is so obvious that anyone playing this will be put off immediately. The entire map is right angles, all of three flats and, I believe, one texture. You run around a maze that awkwardly goes up and down into the sky while you avoid cyberdemons that can’t seem to shoot you anyway until you find the exit.

Bottom line: a passable concept with terrible execution

@DJVCardMaster

Doomworld forum topic

I don’t know if these maps were made in the order they’re in, but this is the best so far. The level of detail is appropriate; it doesn’t stand out as underdetailed or overdetailed. The layout is great: a lot to check out, lots of integration, simple critical path. It’s just classic shotgun-chaingun in this one, and it’s a lot of exciting, though not excessively threatening, fun.

Bottom line: definitely the best so far

13 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

I don’t know if these maps were made in the order they’re in, but this is the best so far. The level of detail is appropriate; it doesn’t stand out as underdetailed or overdetailed. The layout is great: a lot to check out, lots of integration, simple critical path. It’s just classic shotgun-chaingun in this one, and it’s a lot of exciting, though not excessively threatening, fun.

Bottom line: definitely the best so far

All levels were made in order, the first three were made in 2016, the other 3 were made from december to january, one month span.

This map was made as a comeback from mapping, since 2016 without touching Doom Builder.

Edited by DJVCardMaster

@DJVCardMaster

Doomworld forum topic

This one is somewhat densely populated because the space isn’t that big. It has a few long, straight walls of startexture, but the look is pretty good overall, and I really like the layout, from the courtyard feel to the 3d bridges to the visibility of keys/key doors/the exit. This wad is turning into something pretty good.

Bottom line: Another strong layout with more of the fun, classic Doom 1-ish combat.

@DJVCardMaster

Doomworld forum topic

A sewer map is certainly a bit of a cliché, so it’s hard to make them look unique. Vanilla doesn’t help. But the gameplay was weirdified at best, worsened at worst, by an abundance of sound block and monster block lines. Even when doors were open, you could shoot into a room and no one would awaken. Most of the incidental combat is okay, and there is a decent big fight near the end, but there are also some grind moments were multiple imps or demons come down the hall at you as you easily shoot them down.

Bottom line: Kind of a meh sewer map with odd sound and monster blocking lines

Oh, here is a final one, it's for the uncoming Community megaWAD akeldama, MAP24: Alexandria's Library, I'm shacking my head trying to balance and polish it, but I'm running out of ideas. Don't know how to fix the gameplay on this one. (By the way is a big one)

Really appreciate your feedback on Trial To Hell, specially on MAP03 and MAP06, I'm already fixing some issues

@DJVCardMaster

Community project forum topic

It’s a library, but it’s not just a library. Indeed, it seems there may be one too many distinct, additional areas. The map is a bit long, and the progression has a few oddities where I wasn’t sure what had triggered. But it’s pretty fun. Most of the combat is pretty engaging. There are a few dull moments and there are some odd sound block lines. Visually, it looks pretty nice. It’s a little bit trite just by nature of the main concept, but it has enough personality that it’s not just another library.

Bottom line: there’s a lot of good in here and most of the not as good seem like pretty simple changes

Get your requests in in the next ~18 hours. After that I'll be unable to record until about February.

@joepallai

Doomworld forum topic

It has a nice look to it: Thy Flesh Consumed + some custom textures to give it a more gothic vibe and a mountainous look. The layout is very interesting with a lot going on and a lot of connections, yet it also has some slight puzzle elements to it. Combat is classic Doom 1 stuff. It manages to be fun without even using a single baron, but just a few times it was a little grindy.

Bottom line: An interesting and unique start to a set

Thank you @HAK3180 for the review.   Where you became stuck in the SW temple area was my fault, I inadvertently tagged a sector with my last round of fixes.  I'll fix that and re-upload.   

Wow I would love to see someone play my map! It can be downloaded from here:

I worked for over one month on this. And personally I know every part of the map, and there's not a time I can't tell where I am. So I would love to see what an unknowing person does, which choices and strategy they do, if they can find my secrets or if they fall for my traps etc. I can't wait to see someone play this! :D

45 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@FanTazTiCxD, what ports does it work with?

Hmm, I am not sure what you mean. I am using the iWad doom2.wad for all the textures, and I have been testing the map with gzdoom.exe. The map replaces MAP01 in doom2. So it's basically doom2, except that the first level is replaced with this one. Is that enough info?

@FanTazTiCxD, not really.

There are basically a few levels of compatibility:

1. vanilla: Doom 2 format and does not exceed any of the vanilla limitations, such as visplane overflow - ports such as DosBox or Chocolate Doom
  2. limit-removing: Doom 2 format but does exceed the vanilla limitations - ports such as Crispy Doom or Doom Retro or PrBoom+ in -complevel 2
  3. Boom: boom format, which means lots of line actions that are not present in Doom 2 format - PrBoom+ and GlBoom+, usually in -complevel 9, 11, or 17
  4. (G)ZDoom: uses one of the "ZDoom" formats, such as UDMF, lots of fancy features that are not present even in Boom - ZDoom and GZDoom

In many cases, maps are designed to run in the targeted compatibility and any below it. So vanilla maps typically run fine in GZDoom, but vice versa is not true. So if you have tested only with GZDoom, one might say the map should be in a GZDoom format, such as UDMF. One might say if you used Boom format, you should have tested in PrBoom+. ZDoom ports especially can "mask" certain mapping "errors," so you cannot assume that just because a map is in Doom 2 format, that it will work in Crispy Doom, if it was only tested in GZDoom.

For my purposes, I just want to know what will work. You have said GZDoom, so that's what I will use. Looking quickly at the map in Doombuilder, however, it appears to be just a limit-removing map, so it could work in almost every port, and I'd rather use GlBoom+ or Crispy, but since you haven't tested those, I will just use GZDoom. "If it works in Crispy, it will work in GZDoom," is much more plausible than "If it works in GZDoom and is Doom 2 format, it will work in Crispy."

There's probably a more thorough explanation of all this, but it seems to me that the ports (.exes) that everyone takes for granted are Chocolate Doom for vanilla gameplay, GZDoom for advanced features, and PrBoom+ for everything else.

13 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

For my purposes, I just want to know what will work. You have said GZDoom, so that's what I will use. Looking quickly at the map in Doombuilder, however, it appears to be just a limit-removing map, so it could work in almost every port, and I'd rather use GlBoom+ or Crispy

There are flies in the ointment to that playing approach. I mostly make plain limit-removing maps, but because I preferentially play in GZDoom and do most of my testing in that port, my maps can sometimes be problematic for Boom players, primarily for infinite tallness issues and also lack of monster block lines on pillars and such, resulting in monsters getting stuck at the edges. This is why I often recommend that people play my maps in GZDoom, especially if I'm using large Caco swarms, which can frustrate Boomers because they get infinitely talled.

For awhile, I had PrBoom set up for testing maps in GZDoom Builder, but a few Win10 updates ago, PrBoom started crashing, and I suffered crashes on maps with a lot of unsaved work, so that was the end of that. ;D  Now I have to specifically remember to test my maps on PrBoom to make sure there's no craziness, but I'm not perfect at it, thus the recommendation.

31 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@FanTazTiCxD, not really.

A lot of explanation

Okay, I appreciate the time you took to explain all that, but I guess I don't have the energy or time to completely understand how the different ports work. I'm sure you'll be able to figure out how to play my map, by trying out different methods. I mean, all I can say is that I downloaded "gzdoom.exe" from the internet, and I have the regular doom2.wad file. When I created my map, I used the doom2.wad iWad for everything that was necessary. Textures... .exe testing iWad etc... And then I run it through gzdoom.exe. But however you'd like to play my map, it's up to you. All I am interested with, is to see someone playing my map ;D

@Steve D, totally understood. At the end of the day, to me "I tested only in GZDoom" is not much different from "it must be played in GZDoom." But it seems some people do have a problem with that and want to play limit-removing wads in limit-removing ports, etc. If there's no recommendation, I'll generally not choose GZDoom for recording, but I'll also not try to force something to work in something it was not tested in or insist that it be tested in that.

@FanTazTiCxD, Basically all I'm saying is you may be limiting the number of people who play your map because some people don't want to or even cannot run GZDoom. So the thought goes, "If it theoretically could run on something less, why not test it on something less?" And this is not determined so much by the iwad and the textures, but by which game configuration you used: Doom 2, Boom, UDMF, etc., which you select here:

format.png.14c1c13795a84fa59e205553b356904a.png 

31 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

At the end of the day, to me "I tested only in GZDoom" is not much different from "it must be played in GZDoom." 

Now that is an excellent philosophy!

For my part, I need to make sure I test in PrBoom at least once before I put a map out for general testing. Makes life easier for everybody, though I'll still recommend people use GZDoom if I'm flexing big Caco swarms, as in Heat Miser. It's up to the individual players what they choose, of course, but at least I warned them. ;)