Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nanami

3000 level megawad!

Or not.

I just thought of this question a second ago. I don't really plan on making a 3000 level megawad or anything, but if I wanted a wad to have, say, 50 levels, how would I do that? What port would I need to use, what coding, what stuff would that require?

I guess you could use any Port that's not bound to the MAPxy format (ZDoom, SMMU and derivates, Vavoom, maybe EDGE...)

Well yes... but how would I tell the game that, after level 32, you go to 33, and then 34, and then 35, etc?

I'll warn you - it's impossible to make a megawad with more than 32 levels unless you use SLIGE. Believe me, I choke on 3.

Nanami said:

Well yes... but how would I tell the game that, after level 32, you go to 33, and then 34, and then 35, etc?

For ZDoom, you can use a custom MAPINFO lump. Look at the ZDoom editing pages for precise info.

I don't have Hexen or Heretic. I have UD, D2, TNT, and Plutonia.

I'd be making it for Doom II, probably for ZDoom or Legacy, depending on what people think would be better. Personally, Legacy seems to be better for multiplayer but ZDoom is a much better port.

If you're going to compile 3000 maps you'll need permission from the hundreds of authors who made the WADs. Heh.

Nanami said:

Or not.

I just thought of this question a second ago. I don't really plan on making a 3000 level megawad or anything, but if I wanted a wad to have, say, 50 levels, how would I do that? What port would I need to use, what coding, what stuff would that require?

Use ZDoom, as that uses the Hexen setup, which allows plenty of maps by using the mapinfo lump. If you look at Hexen's own mapinfo lump, the maps there go right up to map60 - although many numbers in between are not used, in theory it could work.

magikal said:

Have a word with Enjay he was talking about his 76 level megawad for ZDoom at his s8.

Yup, it's just as Fredrik said. The Zdoom MAPINFO lump can be used to define which map comes where and when. And you can use teleport to new map lines in your levels to override the instructions in mapinfo. eg my first map actually has over 40 exits because it is a choice level where you pick your mission, but it has an endgamec (end the game and show the doom2 cast call) in the mapinfo section because there is a little easter egg way of ending the level too

(you keep talking to the receptionist in the choice building until she gets pissed and calls the guards who put you in jail :-) )...

From the first level...

map map01 "BGPA HEAD QUARTERS"
sky1 CSKY01 0.0
music N_0000
cluster 1
fallingdamage
nointermission
next EndgameC

to the last one...

map MAP79 "Net Cult"
cluster 47
sky1 NJSKY20 0.0
music N_0055
fallingdamage
next EndUnderwater

And the first cluster...

clusterdef 1
flat NJUTR12
//
exittext
"Is there a reason you were
annoying the receptionist?"

to the last one...

clusterdef 47
flat NETF019
music D_RUNNI2
//
entertext
"A worrying development ..."

exittext
"With the programmer entities
destroyed ..."

boris said:

I guess you could use any Port that's not bound to the MAPxy format (ZDoom, SMMU and derivates, Vavoom, maybe EDGE...)

Maybe EDGE? EDGE can most certainly add more than 32 levels, in fact, you could make multiple episodes for Doom II, so, in theory, you COULD make 3 50 level episodes for Doom II by using DDF.

boris said:

Uh, should I say that it can do it when I'm not sure?

Heh, true, but yes, EDGE can indeed have more than 32 levels or 10 levels in an episode and have more episodes for Doom II.

myk said:

Even if so, who would ever play DM on EDGE?

IIRC network support is broken in EDGE, so probably nobody would play ;)